FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Need a VPN to update FG

Not sure how related this may be........

I have been fighting with FG over the past few days to get connected for updates. Xfinity may have done some upgrades, increased speed, etc... but that seemed to have come with some added new security features. Security features that impacted absolutely nothing except FG. I have spent hours over the past few days finding and disabling various features. Deleting and recreating port forwarding and triggering. Exceptions in Gateway firewalls and Windows firewalls, to disabling them all. Turning off any and all adware, virus or other scanners and such. Connecting to my phone as a hotspot even.

Nothing.

So frustrated, I just connected to my VPN (I use BoxPN). Boom.... now I can reinstall and connect. Updates and purchases download and install fine. Before using the VPN I didn't seem to be able to contact FG servers at all using the game engine. The web site worked fine, and I even reset my password a few times and uninstalled and reinstalled FG a few times.

Is it possible that the host servers somehow have a blocked list of IP's or something, and somehow I am on it? I am at a loss how the only thing that really seemed to change was what IP I presented to the FG servers for it to start working. I am also unsure how that might block the game client, but not a web log on. I was always under the impression if you could log in on the website, then the game should update files just fine, but that was clearly not the case.

Any ideas? Any more info you need form me to see perhaps what is going on?

Edit to add:: The VPN allowed me to install and get all my updated, but fails the connection test to host. So it doesn't resolve the port forwarding issue at all.
    Last edited by i3ullseye; October 7th, 2019 at 23:10.
    i3ullseye

~ You're pretty good, but me? I'm magic!

Ultimate License holder

I've moved this post to its own thread in the House of Healing forum so that your specific issue can be looked at in isolation to the generic VPN thread you originally posted in.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Added info.... when i watch which ports are in use on MY pc during the connection and update processes, I see which ports are used, and which IP they are attempting to resolve against. I cannot Ping or Tracert to that IP address. Now Ping is often disabled for security, so I tried to Tracert from another location, using an online trace.... and it worked just fine. My PC does a Tracert to Google just fine, and other sites. Just not the FG web server.

Not sure how it can be my PC or network causing an issue like that.
    i3ullseye

Ultimate License holder

Please post an example of the tracert output when it fails - this might help to identify which hop in the communication is blocking the connection.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sure. Not ,much info however.

TracePic.jpg
    i3ullseye

Ultimate License holder

I'm getting the same issue as well--Xfinity did something stupid on their end and now they've broken FG's ability to check for updates.

The good news is, we're getting high speed fiber in our neighborhood extremely shortly so I can kick these idiots to the curb...but in the interim... any ideas?

Code:
      1     8 ms     4 ms     5 ms  10.0.0.1
      2    13 ms    11 ms    11 ms  96.120.25.37
      3    13 ms    14 ms    13 ms  te-0-7-0-1-sur04.elmhurst.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.86.117.213]
      4    16 ms    17 ms    20 ms  be-124-ar01.area4.il.chicago.comcast.net [162.151.45.109]
      5    16 ms    17 ms    18 ms  be-33491-cr02.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.91.165]
      6    15 ms    15 ms    27 ms  be-10577-pe03.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.86.2]
      7    36 ms    16 ms    19 ms  96-87-9-190-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net [96.87.9.190]
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9    35 ms    16 ms    18 ms  dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Worth noting... I grabbed a new VPN..... not sure if this is forbidden or not, but PrivateVPN is the one I grabbed. Everything work fine through that. Definitely something on Xfinity within their gateway/router was changed. But PrivateVPN seems to avoid all of it. Not sure if I can host with it running yet, but that's another fight for a later day I think at this point. At least I got it installed and updated.
    i3ullseye

Ultimate License holder

If you can post a solution to this issue that would be good. I get quite a few people on Discord with X-finity routers with a similar problem.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by i3ullseye View Post
    Sure. Not ,much info however.

TracePic.jpg
    That actually helps a lot.

10.0.0.1 will be your router/modem, which you’re reaching fine, then everything beyond that is timing out. So, it’s more than likely that something in your router/modem is stopping the communication to FG-web.fantasygrounds.com

Login to your router/modem at 10.0.0.1 - what make/model and version is it?

Quote Originally Posted by JShadow007 View Post
    I'm getting the same issue as well--Xfinity did something stupid on their end and now they've broken FG's ability to check for updates.

The good news is, we're getting high speed fiber in our neighborhood extremely shortly so I can kick these idiots to the curb...but in the interim... any ideas?

Code:
      1     8 ms     4 ms     5 ms  10.0.0.1
      2    13 ms    11 ms    11 ms  96.120.25.37
      3    13 ms    14 ms    13 ms  te-0-7-0-1-sur04.elmhurst.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.86.117.213]
      4    16 ms    17 ms    20 ms  be-124-ar01.area4.il.chicago.comcast.net [162.151.45.109]
      5    16 ms    17 ms    18 ms  be-33491-cr02.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.91.165]
      6    15 ms    15 ms    27 ms  be-10577-pe03.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.86.2]
      7    36 ms    16 ms    19 ms  96-87-9-190-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net [96.87.9.190]
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9    35 ms    16 ms    18 ms  dns.google [8.8.8.8]
    Please to a tracert to the same address used by i3ulleye - fg-web.fantasygrounds.com and post the result.

Thread Information