STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Tracking shield damage

I have been trying to figure out a good way to track shield damage as a player. I tried to use an effect and change the numbers, but I can't edit the effect after I add it. The only thing I can think of that would work is to create a PC and track the hp as if it were taking damage. At least I don't have to put it on the combat tracker. Any other ideas on how to do this better?

Once the effect is dropped onto the character in the combat tracker. There are 5 icons to the right of curr which represents the characters current hp. You can click on the last icon which looks like a humanoid figure which access the effects area of the combat tracker for that character. Once you click that then you can click into the effects text line and edit the DT and BT fields that you created.

It will be a waste of time in my opinion to create another character sheet simply to track shield damage.

Adding an effect as a player is easy. My issue is that once I add the effect, as a player, I can't edit that effect to track hit points. I agree that creating the character to track the hp is a waste, but the only other option I can think of is to bug the gm to do it, which I am not willing to do. He is busy enough with the new system.

You can delete the effect and re-add it with the new value, but that's a pain. I would recommend just opening a Note and tracking it by hand. The GM should be able to see and review any notes you create. Another option would be to add something like "(HP:25)" or "(HP:20/25)" to the title of the shield item in your inventory. I guess it would be nice to have fields in the shield item itself for tracking this if the item type is set to Shield, but using the title works good enough I think. I have used this in the past to track wand charges in PF1 for example.

Also, if you have an action spell on your actions tab for Shield Block, you could track the HP in the title of that action similar to my suggestion above.

One way I have suggested to my players is to create a weapon called shield and make it a ranged weapon and use the ammo count to mark off damage and repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mullisha View Post
    One way I have suggested to my players is to create a weapon called shield and make it a ranged weapon and use the ammo count to mark off damage and repair.
    That is an interesting idea. I will have to give it a try, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mullisha View Post
    And as a side benefit they can be Captain America!
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

If you are using a shield it's worth adding the shield bash item to create the attack anyways

I made a terrible, very bad, super-poor extension that adds a new weapon type (shield) that just renames and uses the ranged "range" and "Ammo" counters to track shield damage.

I'd share it if someone can tell me how to pack the file into an .ext. Right now it's just in folders.

example.jpg
    Last edited by chillybilly; October 13th, 2019 at 19:35.

Thread Information