FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Line of Sight and Portcullises

So, in a number of maps there are portcullises or gates which often are locked/jammed etc and there currently isn't really a way to properly represent them. They aren't really a door since you can see through them and they aren't terrain since they can be locked or barred. There is therefore a use case for an additional door option which can be locked like a door but which can be seen through.

Just a thought
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I'm inclined to agree that this presents a legitimate new use case.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    So, in a number of maps there are portcullises or gates which often are locked/jammed etc and there currently isn't really a way to properly represent them. They aren't really a door since you can see through them and they aren't terrain since they can be locked or barred. There is therefore a use case for an additional door option which can be locked like a door but which can be seen through.

Just a thought
    When using LOS, player movement is restricted to the active visible area for a token. This is a convenience feature to prevent the player from accidentally, or intentionally, revealing parts of the map. A wall type that does not block vision would have no effect. Using the walls themselves to block player movement would be an entirely new feature.

I think it is understood this would be an entirely new feature. Am I missing something?

I get your point. I was thinking that it would be like a door except that it wouldn't block line of sight but would block movement. But it was just a thought
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO View Post
    I think it is understood this would be an entirely new feature. Am I missing something?
    There are different categories of new features. There's, I have a two door car and I need a four door car. Then there is, I have a two door car and I need a bicycle. A wall that blocks movement, but not vision, is a bicycle. It would appear to be related to the current LOS implementation, but is not supported by the existing architecture. It's a interesting problem and has given me some ideas about how a portcullis or gate might be addressed using the existing tech.

Serious question: couldn't you ue a "window" (if such a consruct exists) - that would seem to satisfy the "transparent wall/door" case.

Also, how about prison/cell doors with a window in them. These are a semi-regular feature of a lot of my dungeons (especially the man-made-under-the-keep type dungeaons).
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Perhaps current walls could all be converted to 1) wall (blocks movement), and 2) curtain (blocks sight) so that, going forward, we would build using (new) wall + curtain each or in combo? Then perhaps the “wall” features could be combinations of elemental terrain features (wall, curtain, fence terrain, et al.) so jail doors, windows, invisible barriers could be built using elemental features (in combination as desired but not necessarily).

This question could also apply to holes in the wall that are too small for PC to climb through... I think the Lost Mine of Phandelver has one of these (at least I implemented it in my game...) There should be some sort of option to see, yet not walk through. Like a window or prison door that was mentioned above...
    Ultimate License: Fantasy Grounds Unity
    Timezone: Eastern (GMT -4)
    Play Time: Prefer 6 p.m. Eastern, or later
    Playing and GM: Savage Worlds Adventure Edition / D&D 5e
    Discord: vripley#8567
    youtube.com/c/vaughnripley

I was wondering if you could manually place the portcullis bars separately. Each bar would be a wall maybe close enough together to block movement, but far enough apart to allow LOS sight.

Thread Information