5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Ultimate license + additional shop modules (D&D5E)

Hello everyone,

our group is about to begin with an ongoing campaign within the D&D5E ruleset.

I'm using the ultimate license as the GM and the other's are using the demo version of FG. In order to fill out the modules and the corresping information within FG we're currently checking if we need any additional modules from the FG shop.

At this time I'm a bit confused which content is included within the Ultimate license (Ruleset) and the offered shop modules like the Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook and etc.

Where are the differences within the (basic Ruleset from Ultimate license) and those modules?

I would like to know beforehand if it's mostly rendundant or not.

Thanks for the info

Bests regards

There is a really good thread on that specific topic https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e

In general, the FG Standard & Ultimate license comes with the SRD modules, which has nearly all the content of the PHB/MM/DMG, but not quite all of it. Its what WoTC has made available freely for people to use and build additional adventures on. This will let you build characters, run games, give treasure, without needing to purchase anything else. But as I said it doesnt include everything. For example, most classes have many archetype options as you gain levels such as the different Bardic colleges. the SRD includes just 1 for each class. it also does not have all of the spells from the PHB (but it does have most).

there is a lot of discussion on that thread, but in general, my recommended order for purchasing stuff as a DM would be:
    1. Players Handbook (most important book for 5e ruleset, gives you all the needed player options).
    2. Monster Manual (There are a ton of monsters in the SRD, so this isnt critical. you can also import your own monsters if you like. but its handy)
    3. DMG (mostly for the magic items and treasure tables. but the SRD has most of the items as well)

You may prioritize some of the other books for their additional character building options like Xanathars. The content of those wont be in the SRD at all.

edit...
    I'll add one more thing, if you are planning on using any of the wide variety of premade adventure modules, they will contain all of the necessary NPC's and Items required for that module. So in that case, you may not need the Monster Manual/DMG at all.
    Last edited by mattekure; October 4th, 2019 at 16:11.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    There is a really good thread on that specific topic https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e

In general, the FG Standard & Ultimate license comes with the SRD modules, which has nearly all the content of the PHB/MM/DMG, but not quite all of it. Its what WoTC has made available freely for people to use and build additional adventures on. This will let you build characters, run games, give treasure, without needing to purchase anything else. But as I said it doesnt include everything. For example, most classes have many archetype options as you gain levels such as the different Bardic colleges. the SRD includes just 1 for each class. it also does not have all of the spells from the PHB (but it does have most).

there is a lot of discussion on that thread, but in general, my recommended order for purchasing stuff as a DM would be:
    1. Players Handbook (most important book for 5e ruleset, gives you all the needed player options).
    2. Monster Manual (There are a ton of monsters in the SRD, so this isnt critical. you can also import your own monsters if you like. but its handy)
    3. DMG (mostly for the magic items and treasure tables. but the SRD has most of the items as well)

You may prioritize some of the other books for their additional character building options like Xanathars. The content of those wont be in the SRD at all.

edit...
    I'll add one more thing, if you are planning on using any of the wide variety of premade adventure modules, they will contain all of the necessary NPC's and Items required for that module. So in that case, you may not need the Monster Manual/DMG at all.

Thanks for the heads up! Now I know what I can focus on and what to purchase first.

Best Regards

Thread Information