DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 6 of 6 First ... 456
    Congratulations and thank you, Doug!

Thanks to the efforts of Doug & Co, and Fantasy Grounds, I also feel like I’ve been validated as a real D&D player, and gamer overall. I remember in the beginning, when Fantasy Grounds was just a tiny community, and regarded as little more than a “fancy way of playing D&D on IRC”. Playing D&D online like this was a marginal phenomenon, the numbers probably negligible. There was very little attention paid to the people who resorted to this form of play because they couldn’t find a face to face game. I felt like I was politely ignored by bigger publishers, even if I bought all the books I could get my hands on. I had some small experience converting a DnD 3.5 adventure to FG. The process was arduous, and a huge time sink.

At least there was Savage Worlds, and Pinnacle Games, who were on board from the start. I played quite a few Savage Worlds games, and remember how great it felt to be able to get my hands on easy to use, official materials for such a fun and easy system. But it felt like a drop on a hot plate, and support from larger publishers felt nigh impossible to get.

I remember many a post from Doug, where he revealed a tiny update about how he kept relentlessly prodding and poking the big giant boulder that was Wizards of the Coast. I kept playing in the cobbled-together fashion of the day, but it was frustrating at times. At least the community grew, and Fantasy Grounds was carefully tended to. And then, one day, the dam burst. Support for DnD was official. Pathfinder followed soon after. I was elated. I don’t think it can be overstated what a herculean effort went into what we have today, or how FG players are appreciated as the gamers they are.

I have a bookcase full of materials nowadays, most of which I also have for FG. I hope publishers realize that it’s just a big win for them, a market they can tap into. Fantasy fans are some of the most loyal I’ve ever known. Sure, there are more systems I’d like to give a go. There’s Warhammer, World of Darkness,… But I’ve come to the point where I’ll buy into it when it’s supported on FG. Sure, there’s great free rulesets out there, but I’ve had a taste of what great support can be. I’ll support the publisher when they support me. And I know that Doug is out there, championing my cause as a player and fan, every day.

So thank you, for making my life a little better.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the super awesome post Melloc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellock View Post
    Thanks to the efforts of Doug & Co, and Fantasy Grounds, I also feel like I’ve been validated as a real D&D player, and gamer overall. I remember in the beginning, when Fantasy Grounds was just a tiny community, and regarded as little more than a “fancy way of playing D&D on IRC”. Playing D&D online like this was a marginal phenomenon, the numbers probably negligible. There was very little attention paid to the people who resorted to this form of play because they couldn’t find a face to face game. I felt like I was politely ignored by bigger publishers, even if I bought all the books I could get my hands on. I had some small experience converting a DnD 3.5 adventure to FG. The process was arduous, and a huge time sink.

At least there was Savage Worlds, and Pinnacle Games, who were on board from the start. I played quite a few Savage Worlds games, and remember how great it felt to be able to get my hands on easy to use, official materials for such a fun and easy system. But it felt like a drop on a hot plate, and support from larger publishers felt nigh impossible to get.

I remember many a post from Doug, where he revealed a tiny update about how he kept relentlessly prodding and poking the big giant boulder that was Wizards of the Coast. I kept playing in the cobbled-together fashion of the day, but it was frustrating at times. At least the community grew, and Fantasy Grounds was carefully tended to. And then, one day, the dam burst. Support for DnD was official. Pathfinder followed soon after. I was elated. I don’t think it can be overstated what a herculean effort went into what we have today, or how FG players are appreciated as the gamers they are.

I have a bookcase full of materials nowadays, most of which I also have for FG. I hope publishers realize that it’s just a big win for them, a market they can tap into. Fantasy fans are some of the most loyal I’ve ever known. Sure, there are more systems I’d like to give a go. There’s Warhammer, World of Darkness,… But I’ve come to the point where I’ll buy into it when it’s supported on FG. Sure, there’s great free rulesets out there, but I’ve had a taste of what great support can be. I’ll support the publisher when they support me. And I know that Doug is out there, championing my cause as a player and fan, every day.

So thank you, for making my life a little better.
    Very cool and poignant post! Nicely stated.

2nd that on Mellock's posting.... Nicely stated and spot on....

Having been one that has pushed WOC on other fronts, I know what a battle and victory it was for Doug and his team.

Myself, new to FG but have watched it from the shadows for all the years of its US existence.

I was and am a die hard mini collector (8000 and stopped counting)and user since that is my origin...... table top wargaming and napoleonics. FG did come recommended from a friend that lived in Sweden at the time, but I foolishly tried on so many others as I transitioned my table to electronic mapping from the grease pencil / dry erase days. So when the rumours of a kickstarter that would add the elements I felt were missing came into view, I took the plunge. Here's hoping to another 10 years.

Congrats
    DLG

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    It was 10 years ago when I formed SmiteWorks USA LLC and bought the company from the original devs of SmiteWorks Ltd (out of Finland). The original company had been operating since 2004, so 15 years in total.

I have been very happy to see our team and the community continue to grow. We have come a long way from the 1 person, and 2-person shop we once were. We are still small (at 10 people), but we are so much more capable now. While I'm still invested every single day, I love that I can see the company moving full steam ahead on so many things completely independent of me -- or with only the occasional direction. I've had the opportunity to meet many of our community members in person at conventions and I've been able to meet with so many amazing people who work in the RPG industry. Many of these folks now call us partner and I think also a friend.

I want to say "thank you" to the community for the support you've shown us over the years. You've allowed me to follow my dreams. I look forward to the next 10 years.
    Thanks for doing this Doug. You made me happy being able to play these games with my friends all across the world and a great platform in which to do it.

Thread Information