FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 6 of 7 First ... 4567 Last
    This wiki is in dire need of an update and more examples (stuff has been added) but it'll get you started

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...%20as%20effect.

Quote Originally Posted by IceBear View Post
    This wiki is in dire need of an update and more examples (stuff has been added) but it'll get you started

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...%20as%20effect.
    I will give it a read - also have gone through some of the Unity specific documentation. Yes, in general, getting started with Fantasy Grounds is a bit of a hurdle. There seem to be a lot of wikis and forum posts and videos, but the problem is that a lot of it is no longer accurate or not helpful for a ruleset-specific question like for SWADE. That's really tough given the number of rulesets supported, the pace of their new releases, and the size of the company. The forums here have been huge - big help.

Ok, read Two Gun again. So that's an example of one where it doesn't know if you are going to be shooting twice (one with each hand) or shooting with one hand and casting a spell, etc so it can't auto apply it. However, it also doesn't autoapply MAP. I could Shoot 3 times with a gun and it won't apply penalties. What a player has to do is change the number of actions they are doing (toggle above the run button in the bottom left) before they take their turn. When I had Two Weapon Fighting and was only going to attack with my main hand and my offhand I just left it as 1 action. That way no MAP was added. If I was going to attack 3 times (main hand, offhand, main hand) I set it to 2 Actions and then they all got a -2 penalty (not the -4 I would have received if I didn't have Two Weapon Fighting). As I mentioned I had Ambidextrous, but I don't think there's a way for it to know that a weapon is offhand. So, either manually add the penalty, or as I mentioned make a subattack called Offand and put a [>Shooting -2] effect on it. Then when he shoots with it, he uses that subattack and it'll automatically do a -2 to the Shooting roll

Quote Originally Posted by jimweaver View Post
    I will give it a read - also have gone through some of the Unity specific documentation. Yes, in general, getting started with Fantasy Grounds is a bit of a hurdle. There seem to be a lot of wikis and forum posts and videos, but the problem is that a lot of it is no longer accurate or not helpful for a ruleset-specific question like for SWADE. That's really tough given the number of rulesets supported, the pace of their new releases, and the size of the company. The forums here have been huge - big help.
    That wiki is what got me able to run Savage Worlds games last summer....never really looked at the generic FGs ones as they seemed to be more geared to 5E

Hmmm, just looked at Ambidextrous in the Edges in FGs, it has [Ignore #Off-hand] That means there is a tag called Off-Hand so you should be able to add that to an attack and it'll automatically do it.

Edit: Yeah, I just took a character and added [#Offhand] to a gun and now when I shoot with it, it has a -2 penalty When I give Ambidextrous to the character, and shoot it now says Ignored +0 instead of the -2.
    Last edited by IceBear; March 21st, 2021 at 17:48.

Quote Originally Posted by IceBear View Post
    Hmmm, just looked at Ambidextrous in the Edges in FGs, it has [Ignore #Off-hand] That means there is a tag called Off-Hand so you should be able to add that to an attack and it'll automatically do it.

Edit: Yeah, I just took a character and added [#Offhand] to a gun and now when I shoot with it, it has a -2 penalty When I give Ambidextrous to the character, and shoot it now says Ignored +0 instead of the -2.
    That is excellent. Do you know if there is a list of those # keywords somewhere that can be navigated to in the UI, or are those from the effects list and just being referenced with the # prefix? In any case, that will be handy, and as the GM I'll be helping players with their character sheets anyway, so can help them setup things like that when needed.

No...that's what I mean about the wiki needing update. Guess Ikael can spend his time adding stuff or working on documentation. He usually adds notes to the relevant threads. You can see a lot of them in the Effects list. Others will be seen in the Edges and Hindrances entries...you'd have to open each of them...like I did with Ambidextrous to see how it's coded

Edit: Oh races have a lot as do some equipment
    Last edited by IceBear; March 21st, 2021 at 18:03.

@jimweaver: You'll have players forget to target enemies, or forget to add modifiers and effects, and such. When that happens, you can drag the rolls from chat onto enemies in combat tracker.
    Also, numbers in CT can be modified by the GM. You can hover over the number and Ctrl+mouse wheel or just click on the box and type the new number. I do this when a player forgets to add a called shot penalty or a bonus. That way the CT will change miss to hit or hit to crit, etc. Same with damage. It will adjust wounds, shaken, and the like.

You can also drag an attack from one character to another in CT. Useful when a player targets the wrong enemy. CT will move the attack, and damage, if you didn't catch the mistake before damage is rolled.

I didn't realize I could do this my first few games. I'm getting quick with CT, and we do less math in our head and let the app do more work.

I recently realized that when attacks miss or damage has no effect, I do not need to clear it from CT. When the turn changes, those ineffective attacks will be automatically removed. I used to spend time scrolling around to find those items to delete them. Now I ignore them and they just go away. That saves me time.

I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    @jimweaver: You'll have players forget to target enemies, or forget to add modifiers and effects, and such. When that happens, you can drag the rolls from chat onto enemies in combat tracker.
    Also, numbers in CT can be modified by the GM. You can hover over the number and Ctrl+mouse wheel or just click on the box and type the new number. I do this when a player forgets to add a called shot penalty or a bonus. That way the CT will change miss to hit or hit to crit, etc. Same with damage. It will adjust wounds, shaken, and the like.

You can also drag an attack from one character to another in CT. Useful when a player targets the wrong enemy. CT will move the attack, and damage, if you didn't catch the mistake before damage is rolled.

I didn't realize I could do this my first few games. I'm getting quick with CT, and we do less math in our head and let the app do more work.

I recently realized that when attacks miss or damage has no effect, I do not need to clear it from CT. When the turn changes, those ineffective attacks will be automatically removed. I used to spend time scrolling around to find those items to delete them. Now I ignore them and they just go away. That saves me time.

I hope that helps.
    I had no idea you could do any of that! Mind you I've only run test combats a grand total of twice at this point ;-). This post was super helpful - thanks! We'll have 4 players, and they're all much happier at a physical table with physical dice, so I expect rolls will need to be fixed frequently in online sessions....

Yeah that's my group. I've owned FGs since 2005 and never really used until last year. All of us have been playing around a table since the 70s and 80s and we've all been playing as a group on Saturday night since the mid 90s. None of us want to use a virtual tabletop but have no choice really right now.

Thread Information