DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 7 First ... 34567 Last
    This is not an issue specifically about 5.1, moved here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-the-contrary)
    Last edited by lozanoje; April 10th, 2020 at 10:56.

A couple of small errors I noticed in SWADE:

- The table headings for Watercrafts and Aircrafts should read Watercraft and Aircraft.
    - The damage of the Winchester '73 appears to be 2d81 in FGU. However, in FGC it shows up correctly as 2d8-1. so perhaps there is some issue with the minus sign in FGU, assuming the rulesets use the same source data?

Are range modifiers auto-applied if your map has an inch grid scale? I'm guessing not - seems like it would be too hard to deal with all the different options folks can use to grid and scale the grid of their maps.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. When you put a grid on your map each square will be considered 1". With FGU you can make the grid lines invisible. If you measure distances it will be in inches, not squares

Edit: You have to draw the grid in Fantasy Grounds on the map. If you don't draw a grid FGs has no reference to use for range and distance.

So if you have a gridded map image you will still need to draw a grid on it in Fantasy Grounds. It might be hard to get the lines to line-up but there are buttons you can use to nudge the lines
    Last edited by IceBear; March 21st, 2021 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by IceBear View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. When you put a grid on your map each square will be considered 1". With FGU you can make the grid lines invisible. If you measure distances it will be in inches, not squares

Edit: You have to draw the grid in Fantasy Grounds on the map. If you don't draw a grid FGs has no reference to use for range and distance.

So if you have a gridded map image you will still need to draw a grid on it in Fantasy Grounds. It might be hard to get the lines to line-up but there are buttons you can use to nudge the lines

Sorry! I'll clarify: I imported a custom image for a map, and I gridded that image. In the details of the grid, I set each square to be 1 for value and "inch" for unit. When I put this map in play mode and draw a "Pointer" on it, or target one token from another token during combat, the resulting pointer graphic does have the correct range printed on its label. So "6.7 inches", etc.

But I'm not sure if a to hit roll (or an attack roll, whatever SW calls it) is having the range modifier applied automatically or not. If not, I will need to look at the range value listed on the arrow pointer, and manually apply a modifier before the attack roll is made - whether or not I need to to this is what I'm trying to figure.

Yes, it should. Ikael has automated a lot of the Savage Worlds functions so it should take range, Wounds, gang up bonus, MAP, running etc into account automatically. He really spoiled us so when you hit cases where you need to do things manually it's jarring and you go "oh oh, it's broken :P" I remember asking him about why my Rock and Roll Edge didn't automatically remove the -2 penalty for recoil. As he pointed out, it's situational...you have to not move to get it and FGs can't know if you're going to shoot and then move or just shoot and stand still. So, I made an effect that I put on my hotbar so I can drag it to my character to ignore recoil when it's appropriate.

Edit: Oh, and before you make the same mistake as I did last year when I started using FGs, that little box that says Modifier in the bottom left...you can't use that to set modifiers for players...that's why GM is next to it - it will only modify the next roll that you make. If you tell a player he has a -1 penalty to a roll, he will have to add that to the modifier box on his end (or you can put an effect on him that gives a -1, or just let him roll and do it in your head )

Edit2: There's still some cases where the Gang Up bonus goes wonky. It's not consistent or recreateable, but there are some times it doesn't see allies as being next to the target or it sees blood splatters as still being allies. But most of the time it works fine.
    Last edited by IceBear; March 21st, 2021 at 16:25.

Yes, it should. Ikael has automated a lot of the Savage Worlds functions so it should take range, Wounds, gang up bonus, MAP, running etc into account automatically. He really spoiled us so when you hit cases where you need to do things manually it's jarring and you go "oh oh, it's broken :P" I remember asking him about why my Rock and Roll Edge didn't automatically remove the -2 penalty for recoil. As he pointed out, it's situational...you have to not move to get it and FGs can't know if you're going to shoot and then move or just shoot and stand still. So, I made an effect that I put on my hotbar so I can drag it to my character to ignore recoil when it's appropriate.

Edit: Oh, and before you make the same mistake as I did last year when I started using FGs, that little box that says Modifier in the bottom left...you can't use that to set modifiers for players...that's why GM is next to it - it will only modify the next roll that you make. If you tell a player he has a -1 penalty to a roll, he will have to add that to the modifier box on his end (or you can put an effect on him that gives a -1, or just let him roll and do it in your head )

Edit2: There's still some cases where the Gang Up bonus goes wonky. It's not consistent or recreateable, but there are some times it doesn't see allies as being next to the target or it sees blood splatters as still being allies. But most of the time it works fine.
    Ah ,thanks for that. We'll test some more before we start a full-blown campaign and get used to it. And you're right, I was already planning to use that modifier box to set modifiers on the player's behalf before they make a roll. This means I need to teach them where the "+/-" button is for canned modifiers to possibly speed that up a bit for them.

If I or someone screws up and rolls before the modifiers were set right, is there any way to retroactively fix from the chat window where the roll is recorded? I'm thinking in most cases that won't be a big deal to just conversationally realize that's not a hit or is a hit, etc.

Honestly, with Savage Worlds, most of the time there's a modifier to a roll it's going to be auto applied. A lot of the situational modifiers are tied to effects (Distracted, Vulnerable, etc). So if the character has that effect on them the associated modifiers will be auto-applied. The few times I asked for a check that needed a modifier, like a Common Knowledge roll with a -2 penalty because it was vague information, I just had the player roll and mentally take away 2 from the final result - not a 4+ then it failed. If a player has The Drop on someone, put The Drop effect on them before they roll and it'll handle the bonuses to hit and damage.

I just realized, there are some modifiers that you can apply to the characters for them. If you go into Effects, and click on Global in the top left, you can set stuff like Illumination levels (hmmm, weird, last time I opened it it was populated, but it's empty now). Anyway, if you say the light is Dim, and you add the effect to the Global tab, when you enable it, it'll effect EVERYONE in the combat (PCs and NPCs) and therefore everyone will have a -2 to Notice and Attack rolls unless they can ignore Dim lighting.

Honestly, most of the stuff in the "+/-" button is handled automatically. Scanning it, the called shots are about the only thing you would need it for. Everything else is handled automatically (range. gangup, recoil, etc). Some of them you might need to add to an attack as an effect (like Three Round Burst - see one of the threads below). The offhand attack I can't remember if there's an effect for that (you could just put a subattack on the weapon with an effect with the offhand penalty for when it's used as an offhand attack and then it would be handled automatically.

Edit: I often suggest to players that they put the common effects they use, like Wild Attack, to their hotbars and then they can add the effects themselves and save you a little work.

And for the Called Shots, if your players use it a lot and forget to do the modifiers themselves (and, since the Called Shot only has the attack roll penalty, not the damage bonus that they'll have to add themselves anyway), you might want to make Called Shot effects that can be added to a character as they attack
    Last edited by IceBear; March 21st, 2021 at 17:19.

Honestly, with Savage Worlds, most of the time there's a modifier to a roll it's going to be auto applied. A lot of the situational modifiers are tied to effects (Distracted, Vulnerable, etc). So if the character has that effect on them the associated modifiers will be auto-applied. The few times I asked for a check that needed a modifier, like a Common Knowledge roll with a -2 penalty because it was vague information, I just had the player roll and mentally take away 2 from the final result - not a 4+ then it failed.

I just realized, there are some modifiers that you can apply to the characters for them. If you go into Effects, and click on Global in the top left, you can set stuff like Illumination levels (hmmm, weird, last time I opened it it was populated, but it's empty now). Anyway, if you say the light is Dim, and you add the effect to the Global tab, when you enable it, it'll effect EVERYONE in the combat (PCs and NPCs) and therefore everyone will have a -2 to Notice and Attack rolls unless they can ignore Dim lighting.

Honestly, most of the stuff in the "+/-" button is handled automatically. Scanning it, the called shots are about the only thing you would need it for. Everything else is handled automatically (range. gangup, recoil, etc). Some of them you might need to add to an attack as an effect (like Three Round Burst - see one of the threads below). The offhand attack I can't remember if there's an effect for that (you could just put a subattack on the weapon with an effect with the offhand penalty for when it's used as an offhand attack and then it would be handled automatically.
    Thank you so much - I have not played with the effects much, so I will experiment with this. One of the heroes we are testing with - to learn both FGU and SWADE before we have like 5 players piling in - does have Two Gun Kid I think, and does not currently have Ambidextrous, so that hero may be good to experiment with how to most easily toggle the Offhand penalty. I'll also keep an eye on range modifiers being auto-applied tonight when we try another trial. We're doing Deadlands Weird West soon - so in the prep stage so things go more smoothly at the start.

Ah, just realized - Cover is probably one that would need to be manually applied as either an effect or a roll modifier. No way the engine could detect that automatically. I'm guessing that one would best work as an effect applied to the Hero or NPC in question.
    Last edited by jimweaver; March 21st, 2021 at 17:22.

Gotcha...I was playing a Cyberknight in Savage Rifts and had the melee version of that Edge and it seemed to work properly (though I believe my character had Ambidextrous too)

Thread Information