5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeriEllsworth View Post
    It's a little early to discuss what the final integration will look like because work has just started and I think the joy of sharing the final experience should be up to the FG team. The t5 system has many features that can apply to FG, so I suspect the integration will continually evolve into richer experiences. We've committed and prioritized our resources to make sure this integration is done for, or near our launch.
    Totally understandable and reasonable. Looking forward to how things come out. Keep up the solid work and transparency.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Hey folks, sorry for the radio silence on this. We are crafting some more info to go out on this week's newsletter.

I love the technology behind Tilt Five and what Jeri and her team are doing with it. I think Augmented Reality is amazing and will be the future. Who knows if Tilt Five will be the ones to finally bring it to the masses, but they seem like the best platform at this stage in the industry. Several of the devs there are familiar with Fantasy Grounds and fans of our work. When Jeri asked if I was interested in collaborating, I was very interested. That said, I want to make sure we set clear expectations on what that integration will look like at first.

Tilt Five can do awesome 3D stuff. Fantasy Grounds is still very much 2D and will remain so for the near term. As has been mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, we do have Carl Pinder working on our team full time since we acquired his company many years back. He built some really cool 3D dungeon and terrain features into TabletopConnect and we have rights to all of these. He's been working on getting Fantasy Grounds Unity improved and out as a first step and the plan is to have him look into a pseudo 2.5D upgrade for mapping and then start looking into 3D content for FGU. Based on our current speed of development, that may still be pretty far down the line.

In or around November 2019, we plan to grant full source code access to Tilt Five's devs so they can begin working on a prototype that redirects map output to their gameboard in 3D space. It will be a 2D map projected onto a plane in 3D. If this works well, then we will have John look at integrating that code into our official platform. Jeri's team has high confidence that they can achieve that level of integration; however, I should caution you that they haven't seen any of our back-end code yet. Fantasy Grounds does work a bit differently than other Unity apps with how it lays out and displays graphics based on XML and LUA definitions at the ruleset level.

Our main focus is getting FGU out the door as soon as possible so we can hit our target December 2019 release. I have high hopes for integration with Tilt Five and hopefully it can deliver a fun new experience for FG users and RPG gamers. Over time, it could grow to do more and more -- just like we do with Fantasy Grounds Classic, and now FGU.

Making it work as a window view is great first start if it means that I can drag a die from my characters sheet on my laptop screen and drop it on the Tile Five map view! Will 3D dice drop in that view even if the map itself in first version is 2D? As that would be really fun!

I tried to use another display as a map view, but having to clutter it with character sheets to interact with it defeated the purpose of having a map display.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yarnevk View Post
    Making it work as a window view is great first start if it means that I can drag a die from my characters sheet on my laptop screen and drop it on the Tile Five map view! Will 3D dice drop in that view even if the map itself in first version is 2D? As that would be really fun!

I tried to use another display as a map view, but having to clutter it with character sheets to interact with it defeated the purpose of having a map display.
    It's unknown how much beyond just the maps will be able to be shown there. I imagine it would be pretty similar to what people currently output to connected TVs and projectors, but just in the AR view space.

Will love to see what integration comes out of this collaboration! The DM view vs. Player view (fog of war) working is the most important for me, regardless of 2d or 3d.

Once you move into 2.5/3D development - I think many are used to having flat maps with minis - so even if all it did was that and you had a reasonable price for a PF Pawns standee box that would be great. Add static 3D by licensing wizkids prepaint minis or dwarven forge libraries (say 10x cheaper - otherwise I am better off getting the real thing).

Animated dragons is cool, but it is rather unrealistic to expect every monster in the manual to be animated. Most D&D video game licenses restrict themselves to an extreme subset as that is a lot of animation work.
    Last edited by yarnevk; October 2nd, 2019 at 20:46.

So, just spitballing because VR/VTT are my core interests...

I've played with VR in Unity and hacking existing Unity projects to work with VR was mostly about replacing the player view camera from the standard "desktop monitor" camera to the VR specific camera. I'd presume that for FG integration with Tilt they have their own in Unity camera that displays on the board and in FG you could just output the battlemap(from your laptop/desktop) to the Tilt camera and have it draw flat 2D on the table. You could probably use the wand to select/move items on the table just like you would with a mouse on the screen. Though GM/player split views might be a little hard. I doubt FG is designed for the GM/player input(mouse input) to run on the same computer with different views(GM/Player map renders) existing on the same PC as well.

I'm not sure if Tilt includes special matted cards and flat poker chip like tokens, it sort of seems like they will, and those might be usable as virtualized tokens/hand outs via selecting/mapping in the FG main software(running on your nearby desktop/laptop). Ex/ Handout #2 maps to Tilt Card #5. That might be an easy phase two. I think at this level is where things get interesting. Being able to hand out physical cards for handouts with AR data on it and poker chip style tokens could be the bases for 3d tabletop models.

Beyond that I'm sure features will depend on sales of Tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracones View Post
    I doubt FG is designed for the GM/player input(mouse input) to run on the same computer with different views(GM/Player map renders) existing on the same PC as well.
    You can run two FG instances and one be GM and the other be a player map view, but there is no UI communication between them, just swapping screens to see what they see.

Or you can run an extended display and stretch across two screens to get map real estate and that allows the UI to work because it is the same instance - but that is awkward when resolution is not the same.

Rendering the map window to the glasses from the same instance should solve these problems, so even if it is only 2D it is still better than the way it works now.

Paizo has playing cards for the entire Bestiary - imagine a AR code on those for some interesting mixed reality.

@ddavison
    @Aimlia

Will Tilt Five: Holographic Tabletop Gaming when using FG Unity require a physical holo-board and the specific glasses, or would other solutions using a PC be supported? How would that work in practical terms as you see it today, like what does it look like? I've seen the vids of course, but FG is a different format than a board-game. Will a PC be connectable at all, or will HTG+FGU be usable only for players physically together in the same room, as with normal tabletop gaming?

Do you also plan on enabling an AR environment that enables more VR elements such as a VR tabletop that can be manipulated using fingertracking controllers, or even just a flat representation of todays FG pancake-screen that can be simply controlled by keyboard and mouse, and where AR lets you see the room, PC-display, microphone and peripherals through the VR-glasses' camera? The added realestate would be very useful in FG for those that have a VR-system but not multiple displays. (I don't expect you'll be doing something like this at all, but I have to ask just in case ).

Blog Entries
    You will almost definitely need to run FG on a normal screen alongside the Tilt Five gameboard. The GM view would best be handled on the normal display and the player view for maps and handouts would be ported to the game board in AR space. Both FG and FGU allow two instances to run at once from the same computer.

Thread Information