5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Tilt Five AR and Fantasy Grounds

I was just checking out the KickStarter for the Tilt Five AR Tabletop system (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...abletop-gaming) and the first company listed under Content Partners is Fantasy Grounds. There's even a quote from Doug.

“Fantasy Grounds constantly strives to reproduce the experience of playing Dungeons & Dragons around a tabletop. Tilt Five's amazing Augmented Reality interface opens the door to a whole new level of experience and we are super excited to be working with them on the platform of the future.” Doug Davison, SmiteWorks, Fantasy Grounds

Is there any more info on this? It looks amazing.
    Last edited by Elliar; September 24th, 2019 at 15:00.

CastAR kickstarter failed

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-and-vr-system

because VC and their grand ideas changed the direction into mobile gaming studio, so Jeri insisted everyone got their money back. That has been burning a hole in my pocket every since, and now I see she got the rights to the product, tweaked it and relaunching with a focus on tabletop gaming like CastAR was originally going to be - tethered to PC or any USB3 source (do they even make video cards that supports USB3 - are there HDMI converters?)

Yeah I do not even need to know what FG is doing I am giving Jeri my money again .... Keep in mind Smiteworks bought the 3d Tabletop kickstarter dev out who instead has been working on Unity. I am not expecting anything at release because they obviously have to get Unity version out, but Take5 KS pitch is all about playing an RPG and rolling crits....

The big difference with this over any other AR system is it uses DLP projectors with reflective play screen - the stereo image hit each eyeball but is so weak your hand on your mini will block it. This type of screen is used in home theaters to reject ambient light. The big difference in technology is there is no binocular near eye focusing optics which is a big thing for older people with near field vision issues, or complicated prescriptions with astigmatism - instead it uses your far field vision system that you use every day. I also have sinusitus which means 10s in VR makes me instantly seasick - so this is really the only way I will experience 3D is as tabletop holograms.

Dang since I was writing this they just passed halfway with another month to go, think they will get more than a million this time! Keep in mind when this tech was offered the first time, tabletop RPG was still deep in the geek closet and had not yet exploded with streamers showing people how to play.
    Last edited by yarnevk; September 24th, 2019 at 15:49.

The Tilt 5 Kickstarter brought me here. I hadn't heard of Fantasy Grounds before their Kickstarter. I plan on getting a couple of my gaming buddies to buy the lifetime standard version (please let me know if I'm making a mistake there and should get the Ultimate version. I just want to share the cost)

My company had a prototype castAR (Tilt 5) system and the tech is solid!

I highly recommend watching this video if you are interested in how the tilt 5 system works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jse-GwkcYgI
    Last edited by Borkyborkbork; September 24th, 2019 at 22:13.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yarnevk View Post
    ... - tethered to PC or any USB3 source (do they even make video cards that supports USB3 - are there HDMI converters?).
    I currently use a USB3 connection to run 2 HD monitors. I believe it can run at least 2 - 4k monitors and maybe more with compression etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Borkyborkbork View Post
    The Tilt 5 Kickstarter brought me here. I hadn't heard of Fantasy Grounds before their Kickstarter. I plan on getting a couple of my gaming buddies to buy the lifetime standard version (please let me know if I'm making a mistake there and should get the Ultimate version. I just want to share the cost)
    Welcome If you have a stable group either licensing scheme works well. A single Ultimate can be less expensive overall, but then you can't really share the cost. Note that DLC purchases should (mostly) all be by the DM since the DM can share with all connected players, but connected players can not share with the DM or other players.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Just beware fantasy grounds has not announced anything, they are currently working on porting to unity with their own kickstarter - it is entirely a 2D tool with a plethora of windows. The current tool absolutely would not work for a 3D AR tool and would require a reconception. But because they have a dev who had previously kickstarted a 3D dungeon tool - there is hope they have an idea where to go. But those of us who bought FG Classic had to rebuy FG Unity - not that big of a deal as they making sure all of our modules still work - which is where the real cost is.

This is a good thing, back in the castar days I was upset that they was thinking of doing their own thing and not intending to work with SmiteWorks.
    Last edited by yarnevk; September 25th, 2019 at 02:46.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I currently use a USB3 connection to run 2 HD monitors. I believe it can run at least 2 - 4k monitors and maybe more with compression etc.
    What nvidia/amd cards support this - is this an intel MB graphics only thing? Just bought a 1050ti late last year - no usb on it. Of course I would buy whatever I need at probably more than the glasses cost....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yarnevk View Post
    What nvidia/amd cards support this - is this an intel MB graphics only thing? Just bought a 1050ti late last year - no usb on it. Of course I would buy whatever I need at probably more than the glasses cost....
    The connection/connector itself supports that. If you graphics card doesn't support it, then it doesn't matter what the connector supports.

How I know the connector is capable of it is that I've been looking at USB docks (port replicators). Many of them use a USB-C connector to run dual 4k displays. Dell, Kensington, and numerous others have these docks and advertise that ability. But again, that is the connector's ability to support, not the computer's ability to run that.

Your 1050ti is going to have "Display" port connections, maybe a DVI and/or an HDMI connection. Those ports are designed to normally run one monitor each (though recent technology allows you to daisy chain monitors that support the standard). USB-C is usually used to push monitors for laptops, not for desktops. And not only does the port have to be able to support it, but the laptop architecture (motherboard and graphics card) needs to support the monitors that are looking to be run.

In other words, stick with the outputs on your graphics card. Though are designed to provide the best output that that graphics card can put out.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Welcome If you have a stable group either licensing scheme works well. A single Ultimate can be less expensive overall, but then you can't really share the cost. Note that DLC purchases should (mostly) all be by the DM since the DM can share with all connected players, but connected players can not share with the DM or other players.
    Makes sense. Thanks!
    Last edited by Borkyborkbork; September 25th, 2019 at 05:44.

Just kickstarted the Tilt Five. Would be awesome if we could import in the community 3d models from Tabletop Simulator to combine with Fantasy Grounds.

I'm more curious to hear from Doug about the Fantasy Grounds side of this. Tilt Five has been pretty vocal about Fantasy Grounds support and I'm anxious to hear Doug's plans. I can only assume it would be a massive update to the entire architecture, and with FGU still in alpha, what sort of time frame we're looking at.

Thread Information