FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Tips for using FGU for tabletop play...

Starting to think about some 'real' tabletop with some of my Travellers. So far I've only used FGU (which I only use for Traveller) to host online games. Have any of you had any experience using it to host tabletop games and do you have any hints/lessons learnt? I realise there are a few posts about FGU being used for 5e tabletop play, and there are some useful thoughts there, but I'm wondering about Traveller specifically.

Hi Chap,

Interesting question. All the people I know that do this play nothing but 5e as in that it's all about maps and tokens. If you were to run your Traveller to that same degree you'd also get the same. I'll be using FGU now just to keep track of initiative order, player health etc. Takes out a lot of the paperwork for me.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

If the host has a laptop with GPU that supports multiple displays and also has a connected HDTV near the table, they can run 1 instance as an Ultimate host and join it with a 2nd instance run as a player.Then if that 2nd instance is moved to the HDTV, the players seated around the table can have a player's view of any VTT map up on the big screen. Any effects on the maps like masking, Line of Sight and token and room lighting, will be displayed correctly on the HDTV. I've recently seen this in action myself and it works well..
    Last edited by kronovan; July 14th, 2021 at 15:36.

FG spoiled me. With the VTT on one monitor and a web browser with Traveller Map, Traveller Tools, etc. up on another monitor, I couldn't imagine running a game in person.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    If the host has a laptop with GPU that supports multiple displays and also has a connected HDTV near the table, they can run 1 instance as an Ultimate host and join it with a 2nd instance run as a player.Then if that 2nd instance is moved to the HDTV, the players seated around the table can have a player's view of any VTT map up on the big screen. Any effects on the maps like masking, Line of Sight and token and room lighting, will be displayed correctly on the HDTV. I've recently seen this in action myself and it works well..
    Considering something along these lines. A monitor for the players, for images, maps etc. A laptop in front of me with all my info. I’ve gotten used to using the FGU browser to arrange my material and find things quickly. Real dice must be used if we’re playing tabletop! - not sure about the character sheet though. Players could all log onto the player session if we keep it digital and update on the player screen… I think you’re right Greg, there’s something makes life easy, about using FGU online. I run another crew that came together over the last year and a half, who are located all over the globe, so will enjoy continuing online with them.

I started last night to think about the Hybrid ways of running with FGU/Tabletop. Does anyone else want mini parts of Character Sheets? I got thinking about reducing the Chat Window and having the 'Health/Wound Trackers' listed in the newly found space.
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

That's a pretty great idea really. Could get very messy, but I love the idea of alternative windows/views for different use cases. Just spitballing somethings that make me excited:

- 4 player split screen for line of site of each character
    - Simplified/Icon Only combat tracker for glanceable or couch friendly play (thinking of TV display)
    - Mini Char sheet view that does not include info that is rarely used or changed. Only rollable characteristics and skills and actions. An expand button to show the full character sheet when something more is needed, but the mini view lets you do 80% of the most common actions. The skill list and characteristics list could be shoved into one or two drop down menu that only displayed the item you were rolling on, instead of 28+ individual items. That would be nice even when you aren't playing tabletop as familiar players wouldn't be able to save tons of real estate.
    - Larger/Simplified view of the Boon Bane Modifier Task Difficulty set up. It is somewhat unintuitive to make things larger when you are trying to save space, but it depends on how FG is used at the table. Is it just for the Ref/DM? or is it for everyone to view? If everyone is viewing it, then it is nice to have larger views with simpler info so everyone can see without having to read tiny text at a distance. Also makes it more clickable for whoever is mousing.
    - Large font chat window that maybe only shows the last couple of results. Or maybe it only shows dice roll results and not chat/descriptive info.

Lots of cool options but it gets hairy fast. Honestly I've yet to even play Traveller ever, only having just bought some modules on FG. But 5e window management almost demands two monitors and there is a lot of wasted space. Very excited to pull my friends into Traveller and to play it myself. Thanks for all of your dedication on this, MBM!

If FGU Traveller were to be developed/promoted as a tabletop game assistant, a way to toggle the screen between tabletop & online would be great.

The 'online' window we are familiar with, maybe the 'tabletop' window would reduce everything down to bare essentials (hide chat, hide dice/modifiers, hide tabs etc.) and scale text/numbers so that they can be seen easily from further away. If this were possible for each client running FGU maybe there could be a 'hybrid' application setting, with some playing online and others using a shared monitor at the table?

Another, separate thing which would allow more flexibility using FGU for tabletop, would be being able to export the characters as .pdfs so that they could be viewed on a tablet or printed out.

Someday maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    I started last night to think about the Hybrid ways of running with FGU/Tabletop. Does anyone else want mini parts of Character Sheets?..
    Well the mini character sheet for the Savage Worlds ruleset is quite popular with my players, so I can't see why something similar for MgT2e wouldn't be as well.

I agree about how multiple monitors can really ease and support running a ruleset. I have 3 and during sessions all of them get occupied with FGU, web browsers, PDFs, voice chat apps and my outliner app. I find it so much easier that I no longer bother trying to accommodate the Story or Notes windows in the cramped confines of the FGU desktop, but just use 3rd party apps in a 2nd or 3rd screen instead.

Quote Originally Posted by rcruk View Post
    Another, separate thing which would allow more flexibility using FGU for tabletop, would be being able to export the characters as .pdfs so that they could be viewed on a tablet or printed out.
    This a thousand times. Even a reformatted one that would be screenshot friendly would be a godsend. Currently I screenshot every tab and bring a pile of paper to table top sessions.

Thread Information