5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    You can enter a number in the modifier box, then drag it to the wound field and it will add that number to the wounds.
    I had no idea - I'll be honest I learn more from the complaint threads where people offhandedly mention things like this - that improve my experience so much. Like in the PF2 thread - where Trenloe casually showed how you can make effects only active against some enemies.

And yes - I've read the manual - and I have watched... numerous all things fantasy grounds in an effort to try to learn the system - but there are a ton of little things that simplify running a game that are hard to grasp/no context provided... I would have never in my life imagined dragging the *modifier* box to anything. The very idea broke my mind until I went... well that's brilliant.

Blog Entries
    Thinking about this more, it seems to me one of the things we might be missing is in regards to the workflow. It seems to me we might be starting in the middle instead of the beginning.

How do you know how much damage/healing you want to apply to the creature? Before you know the value, their is something that happens. It might be a die roll, or it might be a fixed amount. But in FG I always do this with an action (or effect). So I have an actual on the Pali for 5 points of healing for the lay on hands. Or I have an attack for the trap that does X damage. etc.

Then with that action, I target and apply it just like I would any other actions with the CT.

Should we look at solutions that start at the beginning, rather than in the middle?
    Last edited by LordEntrails; September 10th, 2019 at 05:53.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    ...to apply to the token...
    Don't you bl00dy start calling creature records tokens!

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Don't you bl00dy start calling creature records tokens!

I did no such thing, just ignore that edit tag on my post...

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I understand, and after several hours of research I've worked around many of my initial frustrations. But man.... newbies be warned.

I currently use the d0 damage and d0 heal shortcuts but right now they don't apply to the tokens I've selected. They just feed into the chat and I have to drag them. Maybe I'm missing something?

Maybe you've overlooked the ability to be able to apply damage/healing directly to to creatures in the combat tracker? Click on the wounds field, make a change. Use CTRL+mouse-wheel to make an incremental change up/down.
    This is one thing that users more familiar with other VTTs sometimes struggle with. The data is stored in the token, the token is attached to the main creature record - which is in the combat tracker. So, always use the combat tracker as the master - make changes to wounds, init, etc.. Editing data is not tied to a "token" per se, it's tied to the related record in the CT
    Adding damage in the combat tracker is the problem since sometimes it's tedious to damage 5 creatures at once or know which orc you are damaging. Not impossible by hovering over them - just time consuming. I didn't know about the CTRL Mouse wheel - that's nice but a bit imprecise if I'm doing it quickly. Might need some getting used to. :-)

I figured out that the tokens are just representations and links to the combat tracker. I can see where that might confuse people. Still, there's use case precedent where tokens are treated (from the user experience) as being the creature rather than a token representing it. YOu can drag damage dice onto the token for example. There's the illusion that the token holds the data.

How do you know how much damage/healing you want to apply to the creature? Before you know the value, their is something that happens. It might be a die roll, or it might be a fixed amount. But in FG I always do this with an action (or effect). So I have an actual on the Pali for 5 points of healing for the lay on hands. Or I have an attack for the trap that does X damage. etc.
    Actually, no. We play Face-to-Face and the players don't bring devices. I host the player client on another screen and the players roll their dice manually. I've tried to get them to use VT software but you don't touch a man's dice. The dice and sheets are sacred in my neck of the woods. So I always know the damage or healing I need to apply. Also, sometimes in an online game, you need to quickly adjust hp. Let's say the rogue applied sneak attack by mistake, so you need to heal the creature for 15, or maybe it drank a potion and you failed to create the item ahead of time (more prep work or $$).

Another situation that arose with d20pro. With d20pro's ease of damage/heal creatures, I was able to quickly run even odd games like Zombies!! or Warhammer Quest or whatever, since it was so easy to just use the software to move minis and damage wounds/hp.

Anyways, I figured out a workaround, though I still don't know how to apply the damage to tokens I'm currently selecting.

Quote Originally Posted by tintagel View Post
    I currently use the d0 damage and d0 heal shortcuts but right now they don't apply to the tokens I've selected. They just feed into the chat and I have to drag them. Maybe I'm missing something?
    The process has to be followed exactly - see the details I provide in post #8. The shortcuts you create are linked to a specific PC - only the targeting for that PC will be applied when you use the shortcuts. So you need to dummy heal/harm PC in the combat tracker and (if you want to use targeting on the map rather than CTRL+left-click on the combat tracker) then you'll need to add the linked token for the dummy PC from the CT to the map.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

,... select all the applicable tokens, and drop a damage / heal roll into the chat box, and it applies to all selected tokens....
    How exactly do you have the hotkey set up? What's the string to perform this? I can get it to report damage of 0+modifier to the chat but it doesn't apply it to selected tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The process has to be followed exactly - see the details I provide in post #8. The shortcuts you create are linked to a specific PC - only the targeting for that PC will be applied when you use the shortcuts. So you need to dummy heal/harm PC in the combat tracker and (if you want to use targeting on the map rather than CTRL+left-click on the combat tracker) then you'll need to add the linked token for the dummy PC from the CT to the map.
    Ok I think I follow you. So my shortcuts are referencing a long-deleted NPC then. That's why they just report to the chat log and don't apply to creatures?

Ugh. Well I think I can do what you mention - create a DM NPC and put it into the combat tracker to do this... Just feels like I'm putting in Lat/Long coordinates to go offroad, ya know? You can empathize how this is not really intuitive to a typical gamer: In order for you, the all powerful GM, who can clone, delete, create and modify any entity in the world... in order for you to heal all party members for 17 points.... you need to create a special hidden creature and give it a special power, then assign the party as targets of said creature, then use it's power. Or manually modify each of the 5 PC hit point totals via drag/drop or mental math.

That's all I'm saying. As feedback from a new person, one or two functions in the software are very unfriendly to those playing in Face-to-Face or manual roll situations.

The remaining 95 percent of the software is blowing my mind and I love it. It's just this fly in the ointment.

Quote Originally Posted by tintagel View Post
    How exactly do you have the hotkey set up? What's the string to perform this? I can get it to report damage of 0+modifier to the chat but it doesn't apply it to selected tokens.
    I don't do it often, but when I do, it's usually for traps. In that case, I setup the trap as an NPC with an attack that has a damage roll (if I need a fixed number, I put in the damage as "1d1+10" or whatever). Then I can just drag and drop the damage from the trap NPC record. I also drag a link to the NPC record to the map to crate a pin. When the players get there, I click the pin to bring up the NPC record and the drag and drop the attack damage...

I don't do it often, but when I do, it's usually for traps. In that case, I setup the trap as an NPC with an attack that has a damage roll (if I need a fixed number, I put in the damage as "1d1+10" or whatever). Then I can just drag and drop the damage from the trap NPC record. I also drag a link to the NPC record to the map to crate a pin. When the players get there, I click the pin to bring up the NPC record and the drag and drop the attack damage...
    Thanks for this, but it's what I did initially. The problem with using an NPC like this, I think, is that when you remove that NPC from the combat tracker, it also breaks the link, so the dice still roll and report to the chat, but it doesn't target because they lose their "source" - it doesn't know who is sending the damage.

I solved this by making a PC called Dungeon Master and setting it up with damage and heal abilities. That way, the reference in the shortcut XML isn't broken if I remove the entry from the combat log. PCs seem to have a more permanent reference than NPCs.
    See attachments
    dm.PNG
    pc-vs-npc.png

Thread Information