DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

FG currently broken on macOS 10.15

First off I want to say that I do acknowledge that macOS 10.15 is still pre-release software and still in beta and that the devs have no real obligation to update for it for the time being as well. I just wanted to bring attention to this in case this issue rolls over to the full launch which should be expected in September about a month from now.

With even a fresh install, when I try to launch FG on my MacBook running the latest macOS 10.15 beta, nothing really happens for about 5 minutes, but then after 5 minutes it seems to cause a sort of mini system crash, causing all applications to crash and returning me to the home screen and FG continues to not launch.

If anyone wants me to do any troubleshooting or if there are logs I can fetch for it I'd be happy to do so.

EDIT: For anyone who found this looking for a solution to the same problem:

Quote Originally Posted by Phunyun View Post
    That said, this will be a problem no one will have to worry about once FG Unity launches! In the meantime if anyone comes across this and you need a fix, your best bet is either to run a Windows or Linux VM on your Mac (easiest option, Linux would run a lot better), downgrade back down to 10.14, dual-boot, or do a remote session (e.g. RDP to Windows) to a remote machine.
    Last edited by Phunyun; August 21st, 2019 at 00:28. Reason: Appended resolution for anyone with the same problem finds this

Fantasy Grounds is built as a Windows application, which runs within a virtual machine for Macs. (I believe it uses Wine wrapper on the download from our web site.)

There's nothing specific that Fantasy Grounds is doing on Mac different than Windows, so we'll need to wait and see if the release version of the OS addresses, or if the Wine project addresses before release.

Regards,
    JPG

MW, if it is not fixed, you will have a bunch of existing users upset. It may be prudent to post a warning on the launcher that Mac users should not upgrade OS until this issue is known corrected.

Is this possibly connected to Apple dropping support for 32-bit applications? I'm not sure if that includes wine but if it does FG is going to have a major problem between the update and Unity release.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    Is this possibly connected to Apple dropping support for 32-bit applications?
    Yep, that's basically it. Some more info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...macOS-Catalina
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So unless wine releases an update, anyone upgrading will be hosed because i don’t see Apple fixing the problem.
    The alternative is using parallels, which is what I do. But that costs money.

Blog Entries
    So the take-away here is; "Don't upgrade your OS unless you know all your applications that are important to you work with the upgrade."

Funny how I run into that issue with enterprise software running on corporate servers. "What do you mean you updated the xyz on the server? You know that's not compatible with the applications running on that server that are used by 15,000 people across the company? Yes, yes that does mean the corporate PLM/ERP/CRM/Financial system is down."

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Fantasy Grounds is built as a Windows application, which runs within a virtual machine for Macs. (I believe it uses Wine wrapper on the download from our web site.)

There's nothing specific that Fantasy Grounds is doing on Mac different than Windows, so we'll need to wait and see if the release version of the OS addresses, or if the Wine project addresses before release.

Regards,
    JPG
    Just for clarification, Wine is a compatibility layer, not a VM.

I was looking into it and the issue does look like it's how Apple is dropping support for all 32-bit applications in 10.15, Wine of which has always previously only able to run as 32-bit. Codeweavers is allegedly "working on it", but I can't find anything definitive outside of hearsay in forums.

The new macOS is launching in a month (usually launches around the 20th of September), I'd highly advise putting up some warnings about compatibility and how it will not work with macOS 10.15, especially with more people trying out the public beta now as well. The link Trenloe shared also mentions that you guys are unable to build it for Windows even as 64-bit due to compatibility issues, and if that's so then it would probably be in your best interests to start warning now because a simple Wine update won't fix anything (please correct me if I'm wrong though).

It's clearly out of your control for the most part but it will upset a lot of people if they find out the hard way unwarned.

That said, this will be a problem no one will have to worry about once FG Unity launches! In the meantime if anyone comes across this and you need a fix, your best bet is either to run a Windows or Linux VM on your Mac (easiest option, Linux would run a lot better), downgrade back down to 10.14, dual-boot, or do a remote session (e.g. RDP to Windows) to a remote machine.
    Last edited by Phunyun; August 21st, 2019 at 00:12.

One of the challenges is that we have no way to identify Mac users, since there is no differentiation in the product sold; nor a mechanism to "warn" people. The best we could do without adding development is to add a note at the top of the launch screen (which people usually ignore anyway). We're trying to keep our focus on FGU, since it is natively 64-bit, and we're planning to have a Mac version. (especially since the current version can not be converted to 64-bit without a major rewrite of libraries and a lot of development time)

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    One of the challenges is that we have no way to identify Mac users, since there is no differentiation in the product sold; nor a mechanism to "warn" people. The best we could do without adding development is to add a note at the top of the launch screen (which people usually ignore anyway). We're trying to keep our focus on FGU, since it is natively 64-bit, and we're planning to have a Mac version. (especially since the current version can not be converted to 64-bit without a major rewrite of libraries and a lot of development time)

Regards,
    JPG
    Of course, sorry, I was thinking like a warning on the Download page or something along those lines.

Really looking forward to the new FGU, I unfortunately barely missed getting into the Kickstarter so looking forward to when I can first check it out.

Thread Information