Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    One of the challenges is that we have no way to identify Mac users, since there is no differentiation in the product sold; nor a mechanism to "warn" people. The best we could do without adding development is to add a note at the top of the launch screen (which people usually ignore anyway). We're trying to keep our focus on FGU, since it is natively 64-bit, and we're planning to have a Mac version. (especially since the current version can not be converted to 64-bit without a major rewrite of libraries and a lot of development time)

Regards,
    JPG
    There is the Thursday newsletter. Admittedly not everyone reads it but they cannot say you didn't warn them just that they didn't read the warning.

I'd agree, at least some warning should probably be published just so you can say you did, could help soften any potential backlash.

The other thing I have noticed over the last few months is that I keep getting random pop up warnings that some piece of software I have will not work with the next OS. so far all of it has been stuff I had forgotten I had installed, let alone even needed. I don’t use wine (I use parallels VM), so I haven’t seen a warning about that. Since I just got another warning last night, I have no idea how thorough whatever background check that’s running is in checking things because it just seems random when something pops up.

Can anybody with Catalina test with 64-bit Winebottler?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post456000

Blog Entries
    In the meantime, there are some possible work-arounds that we have added to the Mac OSX Install page here on the site.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/...stallation.php

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    One of the challenges is that we have no way to identify Mac users, since there is no differentiation in the product sold; nor a mechanism to "warn" people. The best we could do without adding development is to add a note at the top of the launch screen (which people usually ignore anyway). We're trying to keep our focus on FGU, since it is natively 64-bit, and we're planning to have a Mac version. (especially since the current version can not be converted to 64-bit without a major rewrite of libraries and a lot of development time)

Regards,
    JPG
    Maybe give us a way to proactively "self-identify" either on the website or the software itself?

Quote Originally Posted by sturtus View Post
    Can anybody with Catalina test with 64-bit Winebottler?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post456000
    Yes. I tested. It didn't work for me. Wine wouldn't run at all. Winebottler runs, but without wine working, not sure how to get that running. Then again, I don't use Wine for anything other than Fantasy Grounds or drinking, in that order.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gix View Post
    Maybe give us a way to proactively "self-identify" either on the website or the software itself?
    Or people could look at the published hardware requirements. Or subscribe to the newsletter. Or just know not to upgrade an operating system until their desired applications are tested and supported. Not that self-identifying isn't a useful addition, but it's just one more method that most people will ignore.

Not to be too cynical about this, but I work in IT and these types of issues are pretty much impossible to prevent. For instance I see software professionals upgrade server operating systems, patches, etc without checking the published software compatibility matrices for the single enterprise application that server is setup to run (and hence taking down an enterprise application for thousands of users).

There's only so much anyone can do to prevent users from smacking themselves. Another (cynical?) perspective, their is a reason the 'leading edge' is called the 'bleeding edge', and it applies to people who want to be the first to upgrade anything :O

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I am a Mac user and I just checked all my applications for compatibility which is something the Apple installer for Catalina automatically does. For whatever reason the Fantasy Grounds application registers as 64-bit and not 32-bit. I suspect you are going to have a mess on your hands with unhappy customers discovering that FG isn't going to run once they upgrade their OS. I don't know who is responsible for registering whether an application is 32 or 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilram the Grey View Post
    I am a Mac user and I just checked all my applications for compatibility which is something the Apple installer for Catalina automatically does. For whatever reason the Fantasy Grounds application registers as 64-bit and not 32-bit. I suspect you are going to have a mess on your hands with unhappy customers discovering that FG isn't going to run once they upgrade their OS. I don't know who is responsible for registering whether an application is 32 or 64 bit.
    The WINE wrapper that FG for Mac is packaged within is probably technically a 64-bit app. The macOS has no idea that FG is inside. It only sees WINE running. Just a guess. I don't have a Mac handy at the moment.

Thread Information