STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Alpha testing

Hi,

Regarding strange LOS behavior reported a few posts ago
    * Can you try with the latest version and let us know if you still see that? We've put in many fixes for LOS over the last couple of weeks, and we can't seem to recreate.
    Ok I'll tell you if it happens again.

Regarding performance in launcher
    * What do you mean when you say "attain selection screen on launch"? Are you talking about from first launch until you see launch screen? Are you talking about after you click Host or Join buttons? If Host button, how many campaigns do you have created?
    Yes attain selection screen is time from doubleclick on software icon to Host/Join page appearence
    Once host campaign button selected and related campaign selected, time from clicking start to user interface is the nearly 2 min.

Regarding performance when editing maps
    * It should be slightly better with the current version, though we continue to look at more improvements.
    * A copy of your campaign as well as an idea of what you're doing will help us focus efforts. (videos or pictures of you in action when performance degrades).
    i'll try again and let you know. But since last update this morning I can't open settings or update anymore. I may need to re install before beeing able to test.
    In my Campaign I only have one library loaded and one map modified. You can find it here : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...8&d=1569963307

Removing Points
    * For wall and secret blocker types: When removing selected points from a blocker, you can choose to either Delete (which breaks the line segment) or Remove (which preserves the segment, but only removes the point). This is why there are two separate deletion type buttons in the LOS toolbar. These can also be activated by the Delete and Backspace keys, respectively.
    * For terrain and door blocker types, these blockers segments must be closed polygons to support the ability to see into, but not out of the shape. So, both deletion and remove are identical (i.e. preserve segment).
    I did not notice that. Thank you I will try

Secret Door Button
    * The most recent update should widen the ability to see the secret blocker open/close button for lines (vs. polygons).
    * The next update will create a bounding box for lines that is even easier to click.
    Thanks' I will test it

Terrain LOS Idea
    * I'm not sure I'm following. But, are you basically asking for a per-map option to disabled the LOS history, and only allow tokens to see what is currently in LOS?
    You got it ;-) Disable LOS history.
    I used to do this (by manually placing again FOW) in some complex mazes to force players doing some mapping job as in good old paper days when we needed to erase white board to draw next room :-)
    Since I wrote this idea I thought a little bit and discovered it's maybe not so simple even to specify exactly rules to follow. Disable history should be simple but each player can see only his own LOS ? May be too restrictive. We cannot say neither show only current room(s) as I guess there are no room objects as there is door objects. So we would like to have a full view for every player of all combined players LOS to simulate they talk to their teammate to tell them "yes there is a goblin behin this table, I can see him even if you can't !" :-).

For 5 points squares I will prepare an example when I will be able to take some time.

At last thanks' again for your work ! :-)
    I'm really looking forward to use it in real games.

Performance in General
    I'm currently running on a desktop machine that is one year old, and I have every single DLC product installed (over 1300); and I see a couple seconds at launcher, and about 20-60 seconds to load campaign (depending on ruleset and modules) However, most of my campaigns only have 3-4 modules loaded.

It would be great to get a full copy of your campaign directory (for the one that takes 2 minutes), including every single file in the campaign folder. You probably will need to use DropBox or Google Drive to share. If we can't recreate from your single campaigns folder, then we can try looking at your entire FG data folder.

Also, a couple more questions:
    * Are you running on a laptop or a desktop?
    * If running on a laptop, what kind of disk drive do you have (SSD or not)? Does your machine have a dedicated memory card, or motherboard memory card? (If not sure, probably motherboard.)

Performance in Launcher
    Here's a rough order of operations for the launcher, so we can see if we can figure out where yours is slowing down:
    * Load launcher settings from registry
    * Initialize vault access (index all purchased products and their files)
    * Build list of rulesets available on your system (rulesets folder and product vault)
    * Build list of extensions available on your system (extensions folder and product vault)
    * Build list of local and cached campaigns (campaigns and cache folders)
    * Initialize UI
    * Get network lobby status
    * Get network local IP details
    * Start update check

So this leads to the following questions:
    * Are you pointing FGU at the same data folder as FGC, or did you leave it at default data directory in the Settings?
    * Have you added any community rulesets, extensions or modules to the FGU data folder? If so, which ones?
    * How many campaign folders are in the FGU data folder under campaigns subfolder?
    * How many cached campaign folders are in the FGU data folder under cache subfolder?
    * How many network cards are on the machine? Are you running any VPNs?*

Performance After Starting Campaign
    Here's a rough order of operations for hosting a campaign:
    * Initialize networking
    * Load user settings from registry
    * Initialize Lua engine
    * Load ruleset
    * Load extensions
    * Prepare list of all available user assets (images, portraits, tokens, plus any in vault)
    * Load campaign portraits
    * Load campaign database
    * Load characters from other campaigns (local or cached) for potential import
    * Prepare server-side cache
    * Initialize UI background
    * Initialize Lua packages
    * Load modules
    * Load hot keys and window history
    * Initialize dice and fonts
    * Build portrait sets
    * Initialize 3D dice
    * Initialize UI

This leads to additional questions (the first 3 can be answered by looking at campaign folder data, if you provide):
    * What ruleset are you using?
    * Which extensions are you using?
    * Which modules do you have loaded?
    * How many files are in images, portraits and tokens directories? How big are the files?

Regards,
    JPG

Hi,

A new suggestion I forgot to talk about would be to have choice to choose which purchased modules we want to install/kepp up to date among all purchased ones.
    If you don't have a good connection as unfortunately is my case, it's a pitty to have to download each update of campaigns bought but closed for months.

Also I'm fond of new way to handle assets with type filters and other improvements, but for same reason it's not really interresting for me to filter among huge amont of assets when some of them belong to old modules not in use anymore in my actual campaigns.

For example I had a crash on last update and cannot launch the application annymore.
    Before to open a ticket I tried to update again, start from a fresh data folder and even try to install again from scratch but each time (because of my poor connection) it's very long minutes :-(
    I could have done same test selecting only few module I purchased to speed up test process ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Acererak View Post
    Hi,

A new suggestion I forgot to talk about would be to have choice to choose which purchased modules we want to install/kepp up to date among all purchased ones.
    If you don't have a good connection as unfortunately is my case, it's a pitty to have to download each update of campaigns bought but closed for months.

Also I'm fond of new way to handle assets with type filters and other improvements, but for same reason it's not really interresting for me to filter among huge amont of assets when some of them belong to old modules not in use anymore in my actual campaigns.

For example I had a crash on last update and cannot launch the application annymore.
    Before to open a ticket I tried to update again, start from a fresh data folder and even try to install again from scratch but each time (because of my poor connection) it's very long minutes :-(
    I could have done same test selecting only few module I purchased to speed up test process ;-)
    Hello Acererak,

There was an error on our patch system last night that might be the cause of the issue you are seeing with being unable to launch. If you are not able to launch the application anymore, please use this link to download a fresh installer and then re-run an Update. We apologize for the inconvenience.

JPG Edit: Please contact [email protected] for new installer link, if needed.
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; October 19th, 2019 at 20:45.

But his recommendation to be able to flag material as don’t update remains very important as those who are lucky enough to own large libraries can agree I think. If something has been flagged for don’t update, perhaps in campaign when you view those they are either in yellow or, even better, filtered out of library.
    I suppose this really doesn’t have anything to do with FGU per se and should go on wishlist.

Yeah, we’ve had a handful of requests over the last 10 years for selective update. The problem is that it becomes pretty complicated on our patch system and updater application UI to manage all that. We even tried a simple version many years ago, and ended up running into problems because some products depend on other products, which causes errors and poor user experience. I’m not saying it isn’t an interesting idea, but it’s a lot of work for a small pool of users. We’re constantly having to weigh priorities based on new user experience, existing user experience, UI complexity, amount of work to implement, and number of users affected.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Yeah, we’ve had a handful of requests over the last 10 years for selective update. The problem is that it becomes pretty complicated on our patch system and updater application UI to manage all that. We even tried a simple version many years ago, and ended up running into problems because some products depend on other products, which causes errors and poor user experience. I’m not saying it isn’t an interesting idea, but it’s a lot of work for a small pool of users. We’re constantly having to weigh priorities based on new user experience, existing user experience, UI complexity, amount of work to implement, and number of users affected.

Regards,
    JPG
    Why not, for instance, give us the ability in the store to exclude updates (not the default) on a per item basis. Would make things MUCH easier. I know Samarex took like over an hour to update from a fresh install, for instance.
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

That would not be the place to do it. It would be much easier to program doing it on the client side, module listing probably easiest and that would save in a new data file on client as to what was to be updated.
    You need to read MW’s post again. He goes into great detail about why it is hard (and the dependency issue is the most complex part), and your suggestion doesn’t do anything to make it easier (unless I am not seeing something).

Terrain Lines UX

Quote Originally Posted by Acererak View Post
    It was not linked to the door, it's the same with or without it. But it came from overlapping walls.
    As soon as I removed one of the two overlaped walls on room right wal, all was ok again. With one overlap it was working, with two I had the issue.

Attachment 28626
    Attachment 28627

Regarding terrains it's then a misunderstanding on my side on how to use them.Forget my remark. I thought it was possible to use a line and you have LOS on one side and not at the opposite.
    I don't quite understand differences with doors then ?
    FWIW, I also believe the line approach to terrain is more intuitive (i.e., using line tool) and makes a lot of sense, and I had the same understanding. Also, the area approach is inconsistent with the line tool and leads to (IMO) unnecessary complications. I have suggested using line approach by default, and area (polygons) for special circumstances (where area makes sense).
    Last edited by Guoccamole; October 21st, 2019 at 03:47. Reason: add context and see preview

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Hello Acererak,

There was an error on our patch system last night that might be the cause of the issue you are seeing with being unable to launch. If you are not able to launch the application anymore, please use this link to download a fresh installer and then re-run an Update. We apologize for the inconvenience.

JPG Edit: Please contact [email protected] for new installer link, if needed.
    Hi,

All works fine after reinstalling from fresh installer received from support.

Thank you

Thread Information