DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Help with Hotels

I will be running a new campaign with some friends of mine, but for a (hopefully brief) time I'm going to be on the road in hotels for work.

So I wanted to cut out any problems before I even get started. I had to jump through some hoops to get port forwarding to get FG to work as a game master. What do I have to do to get it to work on a wifi at a hotel or something similar?

Also, I have a new AT&T uverse setup at my new home haven't tried the port forwarding yet, I'm not sure how to get into the new router, as it seems they have things hard wired. I can call their customer service, but thought I'd ask before I even get started if anyone knew how to work with the AT&T uverse stuff for port forwarding?

Finally, is FG Unity going to be doing away with all the port forwarding stuff? Because I tell you, sometimes my port forwarding got erased in my old setup and I'd have to go reset everything, and after awhile that got really old lol

Thanks in advance!!!

Blog Entries
    Look at the Port Forwarding Alternatives list.
    Pick one.
    Get it up and runninga n tested with your crew before you start travelling.

ok thanks for the info, I'll start doing some research.

Blog Entries
    So I used Hamachi for a year of more while in hotels. Then earlier this year I gave in and went with the PureVPN (with dedicated IP) option. It's much easier to use, but occasionally I have to change the VPN method depending upon the hotel. Plus I feel a bit safer using a VPN option when travelling.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

To answer your FGU question: FGU offers a cloud connect option that will eliminate forwarding issues. We are not allowed to discuss specifics of how it works in Alfa/alpha. I believe there will be an option to do it the old fashioned way but it is too early to say why you might want to do this. Obviously, if SW cloud server down you would have to use the current method.

hm, here is another question: is it possible to use FG and FGU using a cell phone as a hotspot? I got to my hotel and started running a game using my cell phone's hot spot, and it got me wondering if FG could be run the same way. If so, how is port forwarding done in this case?

You’ll normally need to use a VPN as most hotspots don’t have port forwarding.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfedel View Post
    hm, here is another question: is it possible to use FG and FGU using a cell phone as a hotspot? I got to my hotel and started running a game using my cell phone's hot spot, and it got me wondering if FG could be run the same way. If so, how is port forwarding done in this case?
    This is something that I've also done when travelling. But, as Trenloe mentions, I always used it with a VPN, a couple of time Hamachi, but more regularly with PureVPN.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

ok looks like I'm going to try Pure VPN then heh

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfedel View Post
    ok looks like I'm going to try Pure VPN then heh
    with Static IP option
    And if you want to be nice, Myrdin Potter or someone has an affiliate link around here that gives him a little something something if you use it.

Thread Information