5E Character Create Playlist
Page 83 of 114 First ... 3373818283848593 ... Last
    I get the premise of the design and it makes sense. But it seems like there should be a way to mitigate this issue for terrain blockers and keyboard based movement. Maybe calculate a few interpolated points between the starting grid and the ending grid, recalculate LoS a couple times "on the way" to the destination. I think without mitigating design you'll be getting "bug" reports until the end of time. We can go back and fix all the official modules in this thread, but there will always be people creating their own LoS definitions and this will continue to trip people up long term. Every dungeon map has a 5' hallway with a short step up that will trigger this issue. An alternative design remedy could be to make the terrain tool refuse to draw a shape smaller than 5' sq.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lavoiejh View Post
    I get the premise of the design and it makes sense. But it seems like there should be a way to mitigate this issue for terrain blockers and keyboard based movement. Maybe calculate a few interpolated points between the starting grid and the ending grid, recalculate LoS a couple times "on the way" to the destination. I think without mitigating design you'll be getting "bug" reports until the end of time. We can go back and fix all the official modules in this thread, but there will always be people creating their own LoS definitions and this will continue to trip people up long term. Every dungeon map has a 5' hallway with a short step up that will trigger this issue. An alternative design remedy could be to make the terrain tool refuse to draw a shape smaller than 5' sq.
    Add it to the Wish List

As for 5ft hallways with steps up... You do know those steps would have to be pretty darn steep to block LOS right? If you assume LOS blocks at an eye level of 4-5ft high, and you need to put a terrain blocker in with a less than 5ft wide area (or even narrowing given you could put the LOS in the center of the square in the first place and not have this problem at all) you're talking something closer to a cliff than a hallway. Not something at all common in dungeons I've run.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Add it to the Wish List
    I don't believe this is something that should change based on public opinion. Smiteworks clearly is aware of the limitation. Either they think it needs fixing or they think it's *not worth* fixing. I'm just stating my opinion that this is going to cause headaches. I agree that in a lot of cases these kinds of small terrain features don't need to be there. But in many of the maps already submitted in this thread they have been made. Maybe the answer is to just go through and delete them, and deal with the inevitable forum posts of people making their own maps and reporting this "bug."

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Just a heads up, but I noticed a peculiar effect when maps have skinny terrain polygons.
    Yes, that's what I ran to (and reported here: with this thread ) which is why I didn't submit the LOS definitions I made yet, since I was having trouble testing them, but also because if the LOS behavior changes my definition may need to change with it.

Is there a way to import the new XML files without losing all your old data?

I don't want to lose the exploration my part has done in Dungeon of the Mad Mage. However, when I import the version from here, all the exploration data is lost. Is there a proper way to import so my players don't lose what they have already explored?

Will there be an official update to Dungeon of the Mad Mage to support Unity? Or, will we have to wait until somebody from the community does the LoS definitions?

DotMM has been updated with all of the LoS data that has been done thus far - so you shouldn't need too import anything.

Various people have said they are doing maps for DotMM but so far not much has come my way. It'll get done eventually either by community members or I'll do them. They are all rather big maps. Of course if you want to join in and do some them do let me know.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    DotMM has been updated with all of the LoS data that has been done thus far - so you shouldn't need too import anything.

Various people have said they are doing maps for DotMM but so far not much has come my way. It'll get done eventually either by community members or I'll do them. They are all rather big maps. Of course if you want to join in and do some them do let me know.
    Somebody completed level 4, but it's not in the official update - I have to download the XML file attached in this thread to get the level 4 definitions. When I do that, I lose all the exploration data.

Tsojcanth

I completed all four maps I listed in this post and have attached the file.

Done: 000_GnomeLairMap_PC_50px_39W_56H

The grid was the wrong size for this map so I changed it from 50x50 to 25x25 (and I might have offset it). This is to match the map legend stating 10 ft per square (for the permanent black squares, not the FG map grid). The new grid should be used with these LOS definitions or there will be movement problems. I don't know if the usual LOS import process includes grids. I think I left all the other grids alone though it wouldn't hurt to include them too.

Done: 000_Level1_PC_50px_37W_47
    Done: 000_Level2_PC_50px_43W_55H
    Done: 000_MazeMap_PC_50px_28W_35H

The other maps in this module shouldn't need LOS.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sstarsslayer; June 4th, 2020 at 08:42. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Modu View Post
    Is there a way to import the new XML files without losing all your old data?

I don't want to lose the exploration my part has done in Dungeon of the Mad Mage. However, when I import the version from here, all the exploration data is lost. Is there a proper way to import so my players don't lose what they have already explored?

Will there be an official update to Dungeon of the Mad Mage to support Unity? Or, will we have to wait until somebody from the community does the LoS definitions?
    I found a (very convoluted way) to save the LOS data. Both the map line data AND all the PC FOV data are maintained in the moduledb folder against the specific module you are running - in my case it was, 'DD Dungeon of the Mad Mage.xml'.

1. Before updating the module, go to the moduledb folder in your campaign and make a copy of the relevant .xml file to keep it safe
    2. Edit the original module.xml file and copy the <fowgrid> data from the selected PC that has the LOS you want to use and save it in a safe place somewhere.
    3. Update your module and run up FGC
    4. Go to the particular map, reset the LOS data and exit FGC
    5. Open the module .xml file and paste your saved <fowgrid> into all the characters <fowgrid> data blocks. Save and close.
    6. run FGU to check players FOV is OK. Hopefully, all your characters will now have the same LOS data.

I found that Notepad++ helps quite a lot here, search for <fowgrid>; paste; repeat.
    You could do this for each player but that's just too much trouble.

I can't get LOS to work with DotMM. Worked beautifully with LMoP but try as I might I can't get it working with DotMM. All I do is unlock map, enable LOS but players still see whole map. I'm an FG noob so I might be doing something very wrong here.

Is there something different I need to do? I was under the imperession that I shouldn't have to download any xml and that the official adventure from the store would be updated automatically with the finished definitions?

Edit:
    When I download the xml from this forum LOS works as supposed but in those files I get no shotcut pins with encounters which means I have to do more work myself.

But it should get downloaded automatically via the updater no?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Spelledarkonto; May 27th, 2020 at 09:41.

Thread Information