5E Character Create Playlist

Installation Issues

Okay, I've been using Fantasy Grounds for about 3 years without any issues.

Last week, I was trying to export a Module from one of my campaigns, but it was only exporting images (and only half of those). I was able to solve the problem by backing up all of my dataa and reinstalling Fantasy Grounds. It worked fine for the rest of the week.

Saturday, I signed in to work on a campaign that starts Monday (yes, same campaign with the export I was working on). Since I installed a new router during the afternoon, I did a connection check to verify everything on the network was set up properly (using the DMZ host and assigning a static IP to my computer). A couple of hours later, one of my players was trying to update his character's background information, he was unable to connect. I checked my router, firewall etc. to verify they weren't blocking him out. When I ran the connection test it failed, furthermore, when I clicked the box to see my external IP, it returned an error!

During the night, I decided to do a complete reinstall of Fantasy Grounds, so I backed up my data, again, ran the uninstall program and cleared all references to Fantasy Grounds from my registry. When I tried to install, I signed in and it gave me a Network Timeout Error. I added exceptions to both my antivirus and antimalware programs and disabled my software firewall to verify that none of them were blocking it. I also got my WAN IP Address from the router and pinged-tracerouted to verify data wasn't being blocked. They successfully returned at 4 and 7 ms respectively. I double-checked that the DMZ Host was set to my laptop and that my laptop's IP address matched the settings in the router. I checked forums, looking for issues that I may have missed, but I still received the error trying to run the installer. I reset my network stack and reinstalled TCP/IP to verify it wasn't a software error.

I also tried running the installer from Steam (which I seldom use) with the same results. I also emailed Fantasy Grounds support, but I haven't heard back, yet.

I tried running the installer again, last night with no success. About 1 am, I started going through my router settings to verify that nothing was blocking any incoming data. I decided to try directly forwarding port 1802 instead of using the DMZ Host. Immediately, the installer connected and downloaded the updates, successfully. However, when it tried to install fantasygrounds.exe, it started timing out again. It would connect and get about 2/3 of the way complete before timing out again.

Currently, I can run MUD software and successfully connect to it using my WAN IP Address, so I know I'm not blocking incoming connections.

I decided to close the installer and start running again to see if it would download successfully, as well as running the updaters that had been installed in C:\programs (x86)\Fantasy Grounds with no success. It's now back to repeatedly timing out and trying to connect to the servers. Is anyone else having this problem, or is there perhaps something that I've missed?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave0910; August 19th, 2019 at 08:30.

Blog Entries
    This is usually caused by either your IP being in a blocked range because of spam or other activities like that or anti-virus/firewalls. Firewalls are often an issue, you may need to remove and then add the updater again because it updates itself and that triggers a false positive sometimes.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Flood Protection on your router?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Flood Protection on your router?
    It may have been, but it uses a different name in my router. In desperation, I chose the “Disable Firewall Entirely” option. As soon as I hit it, the installer connected and began downloading (though it still has the occasional timeout).
    Obviously, having the firewall completely off is unacceptable, but I can adjust it until I have what I need.

Blog Entries
    PC firewall or router firewall? As I mentioned above, since the installer modifies itself, some anti-virus blocks it and you need to remove and add back to the exceptions list.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Thread Information