Page 1 of 20 12311 ... Last

[WIP]Alien RPG ruleset

Hey, so I've been working on this ruleset for the Alien RPG which will release in December, published by Free League. I really wanted to be able to run it for my friends without having to do a bunch of workarounds with CoreRPG, so I decided to see what I could do to make things easier on them. Thus began the journey into code (different story, different time, different place. That's not why you're here!).

so I behold unto you, my Alien RPG ruleset! (work in progress). based from CoreRPG and the Mutant: Year Zero extension.
    https://youtu.be/Zrwy-EGyVJ4
    Features
    ----------------
    Dice
    -Base and Stress dice accessible via right-clicking the d6 and navigating the radial menu, or from appropriate number fields on character or npc sheets. also available on the desktop now.

Character Sheets
    -time factor determines the number of in-game minutes to pass before you lose stress automatically. the "stressed" button will toggle that automation off. this is for when you are in too stressful a situation to lose stress, or if your conditions prevent you from losing stress.
    -first "Main" tab has your attributes, skills, health, stress, experience, rad points, a clock! (more on that later), equipped weapons, and vehicles.
    -if an attribute, skill, or stress is above 0, you can doubleclick or drag and drop the whole dice roll from the number field.
    -will automatically calculate the associated attribute into the skill roll
    -will automatically calculate stress into attribute and skill rolls
    -health max is tied to strength
    -can roll death rolls from health number if number is 0
    -button for critical injuries appears if health is 0
    -can choose if human or synth (changes which critical damage table to roll on)

-second "Main" tab is the original CoreRPG main tab, left just in case it's needed until i can figure everything out.

-abilities tab has your talents, critical injuries, consumables.
    -consumables can be double-clicked or click and dragged for dice if above 0.
    -will automatically calculate total based on equipment. Reset button allows you to change supply without deleting inventory.
    -power or air supply gear must be equipped.
    -conditions will toggle the "stressed" button and lock it, if toggled on. they will prevent you from losing stress automatically
    -critical injuries will utilize the combat tracker and the clock in determining healing time or time-limit. No automated penalties yet.
    -inventory has space for gear, armor, tiny items, signature items, and encumbrance.
    -the vehicles section will list vehicles dropped into the field.
    -armor Displays a list of all equipped armor, and adds that bonus to your total. You can roll from the total.

-notes tab has everything you get from the Alien RPG character sheets plus a spot for character and campaign notes.

NPC's
    -have health, attributes, skills and more
    -thereare two buttons and a text fields you can type in. you can type in the name of the creature, and when you press the button, it will roll on a table labelled "[yourtexthere] ATTACKS", or "CRITICAL INJURIES ON [yourtexthere]", case sensitive.
    -additionally, if you drag a negative number onto its health when its health is at 0 or less, it will roll on a table labelled "CRITICAL DAMAGE ROLL ON [yourtexthere]"

Vehicles
    -Vehicles have been set up for the Alien RPG with number fields and inventory for placing modules/upgrades/armaments/storage (you can drag and drop links in these, so you could build the components as items)
    -vehicles listed in the character sheet (on the inventory or the main page) can be selected one at a time. the selected vehicle will display it's armaments beneath it.
    -damage tracker
    -damage table buttons (roll on tables "MAJOR COMPONENT DAMAGE" or "MINOR COMPONENT DAMAGE")

Timer!
    -time management is quite important in the Alien RPG, what with stress and such. I've provided a tool for both GM and player benefit. a window now appears over the chat. this window can be moved or deleted if wished. there is a button which will automatically increase the time by 5 the amount of hours and minutes you define. you can also mouse-wheel over it. these functions only work for GM and only the GM can see the button.
    -the character sheet also has the clock, to provide extra viewing. when a character rolls an attribute, skill, or stress, the chat will state the current time. this may fill the chat, but it makes it much easier to reference back and say "hey, I need to make adjustments to my character sheet".
    -pressing the button to increment the time also states the new time.

***NOTE****
    Combat tracker will only make superficial changes to a PC, and stress reduction will not occur until the PC sheet has been opened.
    Also, PC chat notifications of changes like health, stress, conditions and radiation, will only occur if a client is in control of the PC sheet.
    dropping a second career into the career slot currently deletes both the old and the new one. once it's blank, place the desired career in again.

Updates
    ------------
    21: -added careers and talents. currently don't really function but give you places to place things for now.
    -fixes for weapons, talents, stress reduction
    -other minor fixes.
    21.1: -fixed for critical injuries not being adjusted by rounds when set to rounds.
    21.2:- NPC's now use talents in their "special" section. if human/synth, you can simply drop in a talent. if a critter or xenomorph, you can use the entries to keep track of such abilities.
    -NPC'S have their own gear, which will always display in their sheet as a weapon.
    -combat tracker facilitates the changes above for npc's.
    21.3: vehicles have been changed to account for maneuverability, dropped weight/mass.
    -vehicles now have a button to roll on a table labeled "COMPONENT DAMAGE" for use with non-space crafts
    22:-blank records for star systems, planets, and colonies. (identify button currently not yet functional)
    -new loadouts based on GM/Play/Create/All in library
    -a multiplier for custom carrying capacity in character inventories.
    -[FOR TRANSLATIONS] more strings
    22.1:fixed talents
    22.2:-minor graphics fixes
    -fixes for fixes that weren't really fixes
    22.3: stress no longer reduces when an hour passes and the stressed toggle is set.
    22.4: stress is added when health is reduced
    23: starving/dehydration functions with time. starving currently doesn't automatically effect health as intended, but thirst does.
    -reworked the stress reduction counters, and should see something a bit more effective.
    23.1:fix for conditions in 23.0
    23.2: oops, had to remove some duplicated rolls and messages. character sheet messages from conditions and rolls will not occur unless user of the character sheet is a player.
    23.3: fix for talent list in career records. will work on changing the color of the font another time.
    23.4: removed error for adding an npc with gear to the combat tracker.
    -fixed the tooltip for the damage field, which read as "bonus" before.
    23.5: fixes for NPC sheet
    -NPC sheet has fields for buddy, rival, and personal agenda.
    23.6:-currency section in PC inventory. functions with party sheet.
    24: -pary sheet can now handle vehicles
    -there is a list in the party sheet to display who has what vehicles on their sheet, and can distribute them like treasure/items
    -a new tab on the party sheet for vehicle stats, inventory and details (this is quite basic, no curent function other than notekeeping and table roll buttons)
    -player talents and npc talents have a place to put dice and a number for generic purposes.
    -minor fixes and improvements
    24.1:minor tweaks to the ship tab
    -added fields for ship name and ship model in party sheet ship tab
    24.2:max health for PC's no longer bound to strength, but to a field specifically for max health
    -"rounds" counter for PC weapons
    24.3: synths don't gain stress when health is lost if the option is turned on
    -minimum numbers removed from a couple of vehicle fields.
    -various small fixes and changes to fit the system better
    24.4:-critical injuries "current" field now resets to meet it's max, so that you don't need to go in and reset it again.
    -critical injuries will not make death rolls or modify the "current" field if injury is set to "non-fatal"
    24.3: -added a couple more modifiers to character sheets: stress mod will modify your panic roll result, food and air supply mods will modify your supply roll dice.
    24.4: -Vehicles and the Party Sheet ship now have a place for vehicles
    -other minor adjustments
    24.5:-fix for all items showing in weapons list
    -weapons, tools, armor, and miscellaneous items all have a power supply field.
    24.6:-PC's will now roll their panic roll when they roll for a critical injury when taking damage and on the combat tracker.
    -some automation of critical injuries and resulting panic rolls restricted to characters on the combat tracker only
    -results from weapon rolls now only show the number of successes on the result.
    -button for combat type (normal/space), currently just determines what panic table to roll on.
    24.7:-fixed death rolls
    -fixed food supply rolls
    -fixed (space combat) panic rolls
    24.8:-fixed critical injuries set to rounds

Future plans/seeking help with:

-rigging damage
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pr6i6e6st; December 11th, 2019 at 00:21. Reason: Upgraded to Ruleset

Blog Entries
    You should change this into a Ruleset - minimal changes to the code - but it is far more than an extension!

MoreCore - Generic Ruleset
    --- Projects ---
    Extensions | Tutorials | MoreCore | MoreCore Themes | Call of Cthulhu | Maelstrom | FG Con

What a nice work you have made there pr6i6e6st! Thanks for sharing it.
    Last edited by Pepor; August 17th, 2019 at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepor View Post
    What a nice work you have made there pr6i6e6st! Thanks for sharing it.
    Hey no problem and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    You should change this into a Ruleset - minimal changes to the code - but it is far more than an extension!
    True. It had started off as just the dice, and kept evolving as I thought ”well, what if i?”. I will have to do that at some point, (could probably copy most the files into my first attempt at ripping apart a ruleset for this)
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
    ― H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
    ― H.P. Lovecraft, Supernatural Horror in Literature

Brilliant, pr6i6e6st, absolutely brilliant.

I've been testing it in a real game and here are some issues I've found.
    1. If players close their character sheet the DM has to clean the owner and players must take the character again or they cannot reopen it.
    2. If DM wants to share some pictures just with one player dropping it to the character avatar on the upper left corner. Impossible, it doesn't work. In fact, the character avatars don't work at all (this is related with #1), you can't share on it, or whisper just dropping the text or even open the character sheet with a simple clic.
    3. I've added a dice tower (a very cool one indeed) but seems not to work. You can drop the dice and the chat shows the time but nothing else happens.
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif-2.gif
    4. gameelements.xml doesn't appears to work. All dice still on screen. Don't know why.

Cool things about the extension
    1. I love it.
    2. Nice work, man!
    3. The clock is awesome, a clever idea that simplifies a lot the DM work.
    4. The second Main is good, I use it to translate the character sheet for my spanish players and it helps. If the don't know a word they can just check it out there.
    5. How about the effects of the panic roll been displayed in the chat window when a character rolls? Just an idea not to be opening different windows during the die roll just to check the result.

I've done the Critical Injuries Table for PCs, in case you want it just say it, I'd be glad to share it. You just roll and you get the effect and the recovery time at the same time.
    Last edited by pendragon2009; August 19th, 2019 at 01:29.

Quote Originally Posted by pendragon2009 View Post
    2. If DM wants to share some pictures just with one player dropping it to the character avatar on the upper left corner. Impossible, it doesn't work. In fact, the character avatars don't work at all (this is related with #1), you can't share on it, or whisper just dropping the text or even open the character sheet with a simple clic.
    This seemed to work fine for us- but we were using the version before the clock was added so maybe it broke in the recent update? BTW, that dice tower made me laugh- its super cool lol

This is my new favorite tabletop game to run, and this extension is just plain amazing so far. keep it up pr6i6e6st!

Brilliant, pr6i6e6st, absolutely brilliant.

I've been testing it in a real game and here are some issues I've found.
    1. If players close their character sheet the DM has to clean the owner and players must take the character again or they cannot reopen it.
    thank you, i will have to check on the others, but i understand that the clock over the chat is somehow blocking the character portraits somehow (probably it's bounds?) the clock is moveable if you right-click it and unlock it. move it wherever you like for now until i can get that fixed up better.

Edit: it was indeed the bounds.

How does your dicetower work with other customdie? Could the problem stem there? Because I can make my rolls invisible as a gm, but I can’t seem to get the dice tower to come up on either my old extension or the new ruleset either.

I have the tables imported to a module if that’s what you mean, otherwise i need to figure out how to get the critical injuries and panic rolls to function.

I very much appreciate everyone’s time, help, and consideration.
    Last edited by pr6i6e6st; August 19th, 2019 at 08:08.
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”

I also have the tables imported. Can't help you making them function, sorry.
    Did you do the Critical Injuries Table as a d66 or just as a d36? Both work the same but the chances of any result are completely different.

Pepor and I worked on an MoreCore extension where the dice tower seems to work fine. Our extension is attached in case you want to check the tower, and add it to your extension.
    Last edited by pendragon2009; August 20th, 2019 at 00:55.

I also have the tables imported. Can't help you making them function, sorry.
    Did you do the Critical Injuries Table as a d66 or just as a d36? Both work the same but the chances of any result are completely different.

Pepor and I worked on an MoreCore extension where the dice tower seems to work fine. Our extension is attached in case you want to check the tower, and add it to your extension.
    I actually haven't made the d66 yet, I might have broken the one from the mutant:year zero extension I used as a base. I'll have to see if I can recover that now that I have a slightly better idea what I'm doing.

For the panic table insert, If I can find where the code I need is from in the d&d 5e ruleset, perhaps I can do it that way, where the table can be edited like a normal table. So far no luck, that pak is THIC lol. Although I have yet to try making the description ”[PANIC TABLE]”.

A less attractive approach I'm considering is just creating a new die type and modding the results to have the (un)desired effects. This doesn't allow for user editing though unless I rig up a window and some strings. Perhaps making a module with the tables, then going into the DB code and copying that somewhere?

This are the panic roll and the attacks and critical injuries tables I've created. Some tables are in Spanish but maybe you can take advantage of it.

Thread Information