FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Plaguestone module combat tracker using 'Medium Animal #' in combat tracker

In this module the first encounter has a 'Caustic Wolf' and three 'Mangy Wolf' but they all show up in the combat tracker as 'Medium Animal #' which is a name from the traits rather than the names in the encounter window.

I was expecting to see 'Caustic Wolf', 'Mangy Wolf 1', 'Mangy Wolf 2', 'Mangy Wolf 3' in the combat tracker (if I recall D&D 5e ruleset works that way)

I do not see any option to make it use the actual names rather than the generic names, beyond the tedious manually editing all the names in the combat tracker.
    Last edited by yarnevk; August 10th, 2019 at 20:40.

They are listed like this because the creatures are not identified. If you click on the ID button on the combat tracker next to the creature's token(has a no smoking symbol on it) it will give it the proper name.

Indeed in this module on that encounter table the ID button defaulted as not selected.

Personally I think it should be the other way around that the encounters are setup to have to manually mark those things for the GM who does not want players to know what they are - but maybe it should be a ruleset option to override whatever is set on the encounter table.

There should also be an override on the combat tracker since someone could take a Nature check to see if they know what the beast is during the encounter if it is marked as unknown.

Since it is already metagamey by using a wolf icon on the map regardless of what the tracker name is, the knowledge check is not really to know what the name of the beast is but if they know what danger it is.

So I think this is metagame protection being taken to far.

Although in this encounter the boss wolf is a Caustic Wolf so I can see why a GM might want to hide that while other GMs would probably telegraph it saying you can see green drool dripping from his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by yarnevk View Post
    There should also be an override on the combat tracker since someone could take a Nature check to see if they know what the beast is during the encounter if it is marked as unknown.
    There is an override on the combat tracker - that's what @Talutha was mentioning.

You can also ID the NPCs in the encounter before adding to the CT.

It's one click. Not too much of a hassle, and whereas you might not thing it's a nice feature, others do...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Went back and looked carefully and found the override was indeed in the combat tracker. The font is running into the icon, so the word ID is not legible, and the red obscures it fairly well. I thought it was just a red marker on the icon highliting it was an enemy. The eye icon for map visibility is much more contrasting, larger and surrounded by empty space and was much more readable.

The feature would be much nicer if the GM could set the default the way they prefer (ID or not) so that it is automated for the majority of their NPC (likewise for magic items) with the overrides for the minority exceptions. That is much better than having to remember to manually click everything just because the module author has a contrary opinion about how the GM should run their game.

Blog Entries
    If you think the default behaviour ught to be different you can add it or vote on it on the wishlist.

You can also change the ID/non-ID in the Encounter before you add it to the Combat Tracker.

I am sure that there could be code written to set default behaviour in Options but I believe it would be non trivial so please add it to the wish list and see if it gains any traction.

This is base Fantasy Grounds code. That is, it will have to be changed by SmiteWorks in the CoreRPG ruleset. As damned says, put your request in the wishlist and see if the devs think it’s a worthwhile change.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

This is not because of base FG code.

I just checked many of my D&D 5e modules and they all had the encounter tables defaulted set to ID. With that ruleset I do not have to click on every monster in the encounter or tracker to get them the proper names. Adding encounters in 5e is simply a one click operation.

So not defaulted to ID is specific to PF2 ruleset (or this module - do not have others yet)

yarnevk, the default being the way it is was a vast majority opinion back when this feature was added. You are in the VAST minority who wants it the other way. I doubt this will change any time in the future because your wishlist will get almost no votes (assuming you do it). As for using the wolf token, unless they are concealed, the people can at least SEE what the thing looks like. That is not radioing anything. It's kind of hard to believe someone thinks clicking one option on an encounter string is burdensome, but wish away!

Quote Originally Posted by yarnevk View Post
    This is not because of base FG code.

I just checked many of my D&D 5e modules and they all had the encounter tables defaulted set to ID. With that ruleset I do not have to click on every monster in the encounter or tracker to get them the proper names. Adding encounters in 5e is simply a one click operation.

So not defaulted to ID is specific to PF2 ruleset (or this module - do not have others yet)

Yes - and it's super annoying in 5e - however I'm very happy that it works the way it should in Pathfinder.

Thread Information