FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 14 of 21 First ... 41213141516 ... Last
    Greetings. I am attempting to create a new monster. The Brigand. Its essentially a basic -1 lvl fighter. I was using the formatting by changing the skeleton warrior but some abilities and reactions do not seem to work. I wanted to create several differnt types of this templet and its taking a bit of time.
    I have the parser. Would I have better luck just creating a statblock in note pad as per your formatting guide and pasting it into a new record?
    Please realize i am new to the creation process and I am learning by trial and error for what works.

Larsenex

Could you post the statblock?

Stephan,

I have not tried to even build one yet. What I am doing right now and taking an equivalent monster of the 'same' level and copying and unlocking it and adjusting from there. This seems to work well. In this case the standard Brigand which was in several editions back in the 80's was removed. I needed something like that so I built one using the skeleton warrior as my base. I am attempting to convert some very old school modules and some of the monsters are not available.
    What I was curious about was if the parser would be faster to just build in notepad and copy n paste into the parser in FGU.

What i coiuld really use is just a basic templet. I did not know if such a templet exists or I just need to create a few and keep them in notepad++ saved in a folder and bring them out and change them as needed.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    In this case the standard Brigand which was in several editions back in the 80's was removed. I needed something like that...
    What about the NPCs from the Gamemastery Guide? OGL module here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ery-Guide-NPCs

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    What I was curious about was if the parser would be faster to just build in notepad and copy n paste into the parser in FGU.
    The parser's strengths are taking an existing statblock, copied from an external source, and quickly turning that into a FG NPC record. If you're taking a base creature and making changes, for most cases copying a base NPC record in FG and making the appropriate changes will be quicker. If you're editing some text, you're editing some text - why add the extra steps of doing it outside FG and having to re-import via the parser? The only exception to this could be for spell casters - if you're changing in the spells they're using, as the parser brings in the spell records as well (although you could drag/drop spells onto a NPC if there were just a few changes).

In the end, only you will be able to judge what is better for your process.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I would say changing up the numbers takes roughly the same amount of time with a raw statblock and the FG NPC entry. So there shouldn't be a lot of difference, especially with low-level NPC that don't have a lot of special abilities.

The weak/elite adjustments are also nice to have at hand, with the exception of the hp, I believe all adjustments can be coded with effects by now.

Trenloe,

That is what i am looking for. Thanks. As I delve more into this module i am converting the NPC's have more and more strange abilities not listed in P2 which I will have to account for.

Having trouble with a parse. I think it's somewhere in the spells because I only have trouble with spellcasting parses. Block below:

BAHOR CREATURE 14
    LE MEDIUM FIEND RAKSHASA

Perception +25; Darkvision
    Languages Common, Infernal, Undercommon
    Skills Deception +29, Diplomacy +27, Intimidation +27, Occultism +24, Performance +25, Stealth +26
    Str +4, Dex +7, Con +4, Int +3, Wis +2, Cha +5
    Items +2 striking kukri, rakshasan third eye, wand of haste
    AC 36; Fort +25, Ref +27, Will +24; +2 status to all saves vs. magic, +3 status to all saves vs. divine magic
    HP 225; Resistances physical 10 (except piercing); Weaknesses good 10
    Scoff at the Divine
    Trigger A creature within 30 feet casts a divine spell or uses a divine ability. Requirements Bahor has an unexpended spell slot that can be used to cast dispel magic. Effect Bahor expends a spell slot that could be used to cast dispel magic and attempts to counteract the triggering spell or ability. Bahor can’t Scoff at the divine for 1d4 rounds.

Speed 35 feet
    Melee kukri +29 (agile, finesse, magical, trip), Damage 2d6+13 slashing
    Melee fangs +27 (agile, magical), Damage 2d12+13 piercing
    Melee claw +28 (agile, finesse, magical), Damage 2d8+13 slashing
    Occult Spontaneous Spells DC 37, attack +29 ; 7th (4 slots) prismatic spray, project image, warp mind; 6th (4 slots) blinding fury, scrying, vibrant pattern; 5th (4 slots) dispel magic, hallucination, shadow blast; 4th (4 slots) clairvoyance, dispel magic, fly, suggestion; 3rd (4 slots) clairaudience, dispel magic, nondetection, vampiric touch; 2nd (4 slots) blur, hideous laughter, invisibility; 1st (4 slots) charm, illusory object, item facade; Cantrips (5th) detect magic, ghost sound, mage hand, read aura, sigil
    Occult Innate Spells DC 37; 3rd mind reading (at will);

Change Shape
    (concentrate, occult, polymorph, transmutation) Bahor takes on the appearance of any Medium humanoid. This doesn’t change Bahor’s Speed or his attack and damage modifiers with his Strikes but might change the damage type his Strikes deal (typically to bludgeoning). He typically loses his fangs Strike unless the humanoid form has fangs or a similar unarmed attack.

Disturbing Vision
    (concentrate, enchantment, mental, occult) Bahor’s eyes flash green as he projects a telepathic wave in a 30-foot emanation. All creatures in the area are assailed by a vision of evil decadence from one of the Bahor’s past lives. Each non-evil creature in the area must succeed at a DC 34 Will save or become sickened 2 (and stunned 1 on a critical failure). The visions last 1d4 rounds, and while they do, Bahor and all evil creatures in the area gain a +2 status bonus to all checks. Bahor can use this ability again only once the previous visions end.

Quote Originally Posted by Olliebird View Post
    Having trouble with a parse. I think it's somewhere in the spells because I only have trouble with spellcasting parses. Block below:
    Don't have blank lines within the statblock, except for when it's to separate abilities. The only blank line you should have in the statblock you listed is between the Change Shape and Disturbing Vision abilities. Or you can also have one after Scoff at the Divine, but not after the spells section.

As mentioned in post #1: "Each creature ability (interaction, automatic, reactive, offensive, and/or proactive) should be terminated with two line feeds, and the title of the ability and the ability description should be separated by a single line feed."
    Last edited by Trenloe; September 3rd, 2020 at 04:29.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Champion as always, Trenloe. Thank you!

This is great stuff! Works very well if you follow the formatting. Maybe there could be an example entry in the first post seeing how many people have issues with the formatting?

Something like:

EXAMPLE BEING
    CREATURE 0
    RARE CE TINY HUMAN
    Perception +1
    Languages Common, Necril
    Skills Acrobatics +1, Stealth +2
    Str -2, Dex +1, Con +3, Int -2, Wis +1, Cha +2
    AC 12; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +3
    HP 25, negative healing; Immunities death effects, disease, paralyzed, poison, unconscious; Weaknesses fire 1, cold 2
    Speed 5 feet, fly 10 feet
    Melee [one-action] finger poke +1 (finesse, agile), Damage 1d6 negative
    Melee [two-actions] finger stab +2 (finesse, agile), Damage 1d6 fire
    Ranged [three-actions] finger throw +3 (finesse, sweep), Damage 1d6 good
    Divine Innate Spells DC 42, attack +32; 9th divine wrath, prismatic sphere; 4th confusion (at will), dimension door (at will);
    Example Ability [two-actions] (concentrate, divine, polymorph, transmutation)
    The Example Being can take the appearance of any other creature.

Another Example Ability [three-actions] (concentrate, divine, polymorph, transmutation)
    This ability makes the Example Being nigh invulnerable.
    Also important to note is that official PDFs usually use a long dash hyphen for the stats (like STR –2), while the parser expects a regular minus (STR -2).
    Last edited by Montis; October 31st, 2020 at 17:43. Reason: clarification

Thread Information