DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

Thread: More automation

After playing around with equipment (especially weapons) and skills, it looks like there are things that are hard-coded that maybe shouldn't be.

For example, if a GM wants to create a new weapon skill or modify an existing weapon skill, they should be able to do so and have equipment link to the new skill. However, weapons only seem to be able to automatically link to the skills that originally come with the ruleset.

By linking" I mean... when you drop an item into a characters equipment list, it creates an action in the action tab with the skill automatically accounted for. This doesn't seem to work with skills that you add to the skill list (unless I'm just doing it wrong).

So, if you're looking for automation to add, it would be good to allow the GM to create skills that can actually be used by the rest of the ruleset. And, it would be good to allow the GM to modify the text and data fields in an item, to allow pointing towards custom skills instead of the canned skills. In fact, from what I can tell, you can't modify the canned items at all. The ruleset should allow for everything to be modified if the GM wants. Nothing should be locked-out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by antoneagle View Post
    So, if you're looking for automation to add, it would be good to allow the GM to create skills that can actually be used by the rest of the ruleset. And, it would be good to allow the GM to modify the text and data fields in an item, to allow pointing towards custom skills instead of the canned skills. In fact, from what I can tell, you can't modify the canned items at all. The ruleset should allow for everything to be modified if the GM wants. Nothing should be locked-out.
    While that is true - the coding for that does get a lot more complex... not saying it cant/wont get done - just saying it is a lot more complex.
    Another option MBM might consider if this isnt on the roadmap is to publish a small extension that just includes all the skill lists that these draw from so that the GM could edit that extension so that FG knows about the new scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by antoneagle View Post
    By linking" I mean... when you drop an item into a characters equipment list, it creates an action in the action tab with the skill automatically accounted for. This doesn't seem to work with skills that you add to the skill list (unless I'm just doing it wrong).

If you are talking about weapons, it already does that but it requires that you use the () characters on the equipment side. For instance, if you use an older skill like Thrown, when you create the weapon you would have to use Thrown (knife) and the skill could be just Thrown or Thrown (knife), both would work.

If you are talking about general gear, that is probably more likely to show up with Central Supply Catalog but that would have to be confirmed by MBM.

Sorry esmdev, but I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting?

Let's use a concrete example. The stock game has "Gun Combat (slug)" as a weapon skill. However, our group wants to differentiate between skill with a rifle and skill with a pistol, because as anyone who has ever shot both can tell you, the skills involved are not the same. So, we want to use something like "Gun Combat (slug, pistol). But, of course, that skill isn't in the game. So, if I create a piece of equipment and specify that it uses the skill "Gun Combat (slug, pistol), it doesn't recognize that, and thus when added to a character's equipment list, will not show that the character has that skill... even if we have edited the characters skill so that the text matches. It just doesn't work. So, based on what you were trying to explain, how would I make this work?

You would want to avoid using the , within the (). For instance try it with (slug pistol) or (slug rifle).

So you create a skill called Gun Combat (slug pistol) then you create an item with the use skill (slug pistol) and it should work fine.

For instance, I just created a skill Gun Combat (Super Cool Gun) on an MGT2 character sheet. Then I cloned an accelerator rifle and change the name to The Super Cool Gun and the skill to Gun Combat (super cool gun) and added it to a test character sheet and clicked attack on the action tab and everything worked as expected. I did this to test two things, first to test if you could use multiple words in a single skill () and also to test if you could use mixed characters in the character sheet skill and all lower case in the item skill and if it would still work. Worked fine.

I think it is the commas that are causing you trouble. Instead just do...

Slug Pistol
    Slug Rifle
    Energy Pistol
    Energy Rifle
    etc...

I posted in another thread (about the data fields for new items) that we finally got this working. As mentioned in my last post there, it's all about knowing that you need to drag-and-drop stuff to make unlockable copies. We are good now. And, as also mentioned there, we really need some kind of documentation for this ruleset. There are lots of tricks that are non-intuitive, that really should be documented somewhere.

Making copies works just the same in this ruleset as it does in most other rulesets.

There's an FAQ thread, if you think something needs adding and you have the answer then post in that thread and I'll add it to the main posts.
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Thread Information