STAR TREK 2d20
Page 6 of 7 First ... 4567 Last
    Please count another vote for implementing the default critical damage generation. I know Trenloe said the traditional method is also in the rules, and yes, it is, but it is also clearly marked as an exception/optional rule ("The GM might allow you to roll the dice twice..."). I really don't think this is a minor issue. Critical hit damage dealing is not a fringe case, it's an intergral part of this game, and I think it should work as intended. Thanks for your consideration.

(deleted for double post)

If this was a simple thing to do, it would have been done a long time ago. The way the ruleset code asynchronously handles the damage dice, modifiers, resistances, weaknesses and vulnerabilities make it an incredibly complex process to change. It may sound simple, but believe me it's not.

I've said many time I will look into it at some point, but there are other things higher up the priority list at this point (2022-11 compatibility, secrets of magic functionality, guns and gears functionality, to name but three).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

One way I've found a work around it is to just untarget the creature and roll damage as normal. Then right click on the damage and put the 2X modifier on it in the chat window. Then you drag and drop the new damage onto the target. Bit of extra work but it's smooth and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Pathfinder View Post
    One way I've found a work around it is to just untarget the creature and roll damage as normal. Then right click on the damage and put the 2X modifier on it in the chat window. Then you drag and drop the new damage onto the target. Bit of extra work but it's smooth and simple.
    Unfortunately it's not that simple. As I've been trying to explain in this thread - it's not just a case of rolling the base damage and doubling it. What about weapons with the deadly or fatal trait that add or change dice when critical damage is done? What about damaging a creature that's immune to critical damage (an ooze for example)? And there are many other cases where the damage functionality, damage types and how it's all handled is very different from just doubling the base damage - and the majority of these are automatically covered in the current damage/critical damage implementation, and it's not a simple task to migrate the current code to doubling what needs to be doubled and adding in extra dice (that aren't doubled) and then handling resistances, weaknesses and invulnerabilities across the whole final damage data (which could end up with multiple damage instances within the single damage action).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Is there anything that we can do to help out with this endeavour?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Pathfinder View Post
    Is there anything that we can do to help out with this endeavour?
    Thanks for offering, but it’s something I need to spend a lot of time developing when it comes up in my priority list.

No worries. Thanks for all your hard work already. Looking forward to giving it a try with a couple of my groups soon.

if we're counting raised hands, I'm actually more a fan of the roll more dice as currently implemented in FG rather than roll once and double the result. Core rulebook suggests the GM may allow this - I suspect the only reason it isn't default is the handfuls of dice it would generate at a physical tabletop, which is not an obstacle in a VTT

Quote Originally Posted by vonBlashyrkh View Post
    if we're counting raised hands, I'm actually more a fan of the roll more dice as currently implemented in FG rather than roll once and double the result. Core rulebook suggests the GM may allow this - I suspect the only reason it isn't default is the handfuls of dice it would generate at a physical tabletop, which is not an obstacle in a VTT
    So you are advovcating against adding in the default rule? Or what else is the purpose of your raised hand?
    Last edited by Zaister; December 27th, 2021 at 13:49.

Thread Information