FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Takamori View Post
    Appologies for the Necro, but I was searching through the logs to see if this was implemented/fixed the critical failure, failure, success and critical success system.
    If not how you guys are proceeding during the combat tracker?
    Can you explain what issues you're seeing?

You can see the current issues log, including fixes of previous issues, here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing Search (CTRL+F) for critical to find related issues.
    Last edited by Trenloe; December 8th, 2019 at 10:12.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hello, I'm going to necro this thread again to see if I'm overlooking something. I expected this value to double (or roll 2 dice), but it didn't:
    Reefclaw: [ATTACK (M)] Claw [1d20+9 = 24]
    Attack [24] -> [at Fargrim Thunderbeard] [CRITICAL]
    Reefclaw: [DAMAGE (M)] Claw [TYPE: slashing (1d6+1=5)] [1d6+1 = 5]
    Damage [5] -> [to Fargrim Thunderbeard]
    Is this the expected result?
    Edit: I do have the multiattack ext on, I'll try turning that off.
    Edit 2: Turning off the multiattack ext worked. Crits are now doubled.
    Last edited by H2Os; February 17th, 2020 at 16:48.

Since the topic of options for double damage (p451) has been brought up in this thread, I'll add in another option that I've seen, and I'm currently using in my game.

I'll contrast this option with the two existing options for double damage:
    • Roll normal damage and then double the result.
    • Roll twice as many dice.

As has been mentioned before these both have the disadvantage of being able to roll less than a regular hit with unlucky dice.

With the option I've been using, a critical hit can never roll less damage than a regular hit. Although it's technically not a true doubling of damage, it makes critical hits hit hard all the time.

Roll the dice once, and then add that to what you would've gotten if you had rolled max damage. In effect, this option represents max damage on the weapon hit, plus an extra regular hit worth of damage.

Example:
    A strength 14 character with a longsword.
    • Regular hit: 1d8+2
    • Critical hit: 1d8+12 i.e. 1d8+2 + (8+2)

Same character with a Rapier (deadly 1d8).
    • Regular hit: 1d6+2
    • Critical hit: 1d6+1d8+10 i.e. 1d6+2 +1d8 + (6+2)

It would be nice to have a checkbox option for this in campaign setup in addition to the other two.
    Last edited by GMScott; March 23rd, 2020 at 02:33.

Quote Originally Posted by GMScott View Post
    It would be nice to have a checkbox option for this in campaign setup in addition to the other two.
    In general house rules like these aren't put in the base ruleset. Thing like this are usually left to a community developed extension.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    That's RAW. You'd need to write an extension to handle something differently. There's a customer fCustomSetCriticalHit in manager_action_attack.lua that allows setting the critical hit state.

Only directly on the PC weapon damage entry. There's also a new custom fCustomCriticalHit function in the manager_action_damage.lua script that returns nCritMult.

That's why the custom functions I mentioned above have been implemented - because I'm developing the official critical hit deck. The underlying functionality is developed, and one set of damage type data written. I need to do the other three damage types data and also develop custom tables for manual rolling, and documentation. But I'm concentrating on the Lost Omens Character Guide at the moment...
    Hello there,

A search led me to this thread. I was looking for the critical hit deck to be on sale for fantasy grounds, but it was not. Was this table you mention made? (and for fumbles?)

Thank you for your work.

The critical deck is still being worked on. I haven't heard of any community based work, which would be very limited in terms of wording.

Dear

I looked up in teh Pathfinder Second Edition Ruleset - Bug tracker and see that Critical damage rolls use all dice (i.e don't roll base and double) this is an "optional" way of doing it (as mentioned in the Core Rules) was resolved as Currently using "optional" mode of rolling all dice with status "under review".

I have recently tested the critical hit system and I see that at this moment it is set up as the optional rule. Are there plans to change this to the RAW double damage?

Thank you for your time and wonderful work!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrei123 View Post
    I looked up in teh Pathfinder Second Edition Ruleset - Bug tracker and see that Critical damage rolls use all dice (i.e don't roll base and double) this is an "optional" way of doing it (as mentioned in the Core Rules) was resolved as Currently using "optional" mode of rolling all dice with status "under review".

I have recently tested the critical hit system and I see that at this moment it is set up as the optional rule. Are there plans to change this to the RAW double damage?
    Welcome to the FG forums!

I haven't implemented the one option available in the Core rules (roll dice and double). It's not actually that simple to do within the ruleset framework. It will be done at some point, but it's not a high priority for me. You can argue statistics, but rolling all dice doesn't remove anything from the game. I believe, and that can be discussed, that the roll dice and double option was created to keep the game moving at a physical table, where a player might not have all the dice, or has to roll some, add, roll some more... This is eluded to in the text in the Core rules book. With FG you don't have that issue. And, a lot of people like seeing more dice rolling for a critical! Like I said, you can argue the stats (rolling more dice gives more of an average than extremes), but what is being done in the FG ruleset is not the wrong way (it's a perfectly valid approach detailed in the Core Rules), it doesn't give a different max or min, just a slightly different statistical spread.

Like I say, it will come, but it's not a priority for me at this point.
    Last edited by Trenloe; December 6th, 2021 at 19:10.

Hi Trenloe

I agree with your view and am happy to see you set your priorities straight. I do believe there are other projects with higher priorities.
    BUUUUUT I'm kinda a stickler for rules so I would love to see it work as described RAW.

Anyways, thank you for the swift reply! And let me also tell you I was happily surprised to see things as deadly and fatal working perfectly! Especially considering these are more likely the things my players would forget or make a mistake against.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrei123 View Post
    BUUUUUT I'm kinda a stickler for rules so I would love to see it work as described RAW.
    The details on rolling all dice are in the exact same paragraph regarding double damage - so they are in the rules as written!

I get what you're saying though... It'll come... I've re-reached out to a community member who said they'd written an extension to do this. If their code works fine, and they're OK with me using it in the base ruleset, it may come quicker...

Thread Information