STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    Ok to add dice to this discussion > power attack should not have modifiers added to it ..right?
    if you crit with an attack using power attack should you crit calculate first (2d8+4)*2 than add 1d8?

The power attack extra damage dice will be doubled as part of a critical hit.

The "Doubling and halving damage" section on page 451 says: "Benefits you gain specifically from a critical hit, like the flaming weapon rune’s persistent fire damage or the extra damage die from the fatal weapon trait, aren’t doubled."
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Personally I like rolling more dice because it's fun, so if you do add the x2 of normal damage hopefully there is a toggle of some kind to switch back. That's just my group's preference and opinion.

Sorry, but I think having the option to double rather than rolling 2 dice is important because of Armor Specialization which reduces crit damage but no more than what was rolled on the single damage die. So Chain Specialization (non-heavy armor), will reduce the crit damage by 4, but no more than the original damage. So if my damage is 1d12+1 and I rolled a 1. Total damage using the doubling method is (2+1)*2 = 6 ==> 3 normal damage/ 3 crit damage, with the Chain Specialization reduces it by up to 4 down to a minimum of 3 damage (the original damage before doubling). When using the two dice approach, how would I know which die was the crit one? If damage is 1d12+1, and I roll 1,6... total damage is 7+2 = 9 ==> If 6 was the Crit die then Chain Spec reduces damage to 5 (7-4 +2), but if 1 was the Crit die, it reduces it to 7 (2-4(min 0) + 7).
    Unless the code already handles Armor Specialization behind the scene...I haven't fully tested it.

Quote Originally Posted by abeheron View Post
    When using the two dice approach, how would I know which die was the crit one?
    It’s a different colour (green) - see the screenshot in posts #1 for an example.

Specializations have not been coded yet.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It is more fun to see the dice explosion when you crit but you are more likely to do max damage with doubled damage (tradeoff also more likely to do min damage). Crits become more swingy with the double damage. Maybe they could throw fireworks out when the double damage crits happen so we can still have that exciting fun of more things going off.

One of the Plaguestone uniques resists crits. That was implemented as resisting the second roll and modifier.

Quote Originally Posted by yarnevk View Post
    One of the Plaguestone uniques resists crits. That was implemented as resisting the second roll and modifier.
    Assuming you mean the "Blood Ooze"? If so, there's nothing special about that NPC record in Fall of Plaguestone - this is all in the ruleset. In this example, the ruleset parses out "critical hits" from the Immunities data and puts an effect of IMMUNE: critical on the creature when it's added to the combat tracker.

All critical damage in FG has the damage type "critical" added to that specific damage roll - see the damage text reported in the chat window in post #1 for an example. Hence why IMMUNE: critical will ignore all of the critical damage rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It’s a different colour (green) - see the screenshot in posts #1 for an example.

Specializations have not been coded yet.
    Hmm they both show up the same color for me (in the PFRPG2 module)... is there a setting I may have missed?

Quote Originally Posted by abeheron View Post
    Hmm they both show up the same color for me (in the PFRPG2 module)... is there a setting I may have missed?
    Please provide a screenshot of the chat window showing the critical roll and the PC (or NPC) sheet where you're rolling for damage.

And how are you rolling a critical - i.e. how does FG know to roll critical damage? Just relying on the comparison of Attack result vs. AC? Clicking the "Critical" button in the modifiers window? Holding down Shift before rolling damage?

Thread Information