DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Setting up double damage Critical hits?

Critical hits are supposed to do double damage in 2e, from what we can find in the rules. However, when you land a critical hit, it acts like it would in 1e, adding a damage die to the attack instead of simply doubling the initial damage. The critical modifier is set to 2x, but is there currently a way to automate critical hits to double damage, rather than adding a damage die? If not implemented yet, I completely understand.

Including images for the sake of clarity.
    weapon info.PNG
    crit not doubling.PNG

Welcome to the FG forums!

Unfortunately this hasn’t been implemented yet. It’ll be in an update release very soon...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I had a feeling that was the case. Thank you!

It should be noted that the doubling of the dice and modifiers is also in the rules, so it would actually be kind of cool (sorry, Trenloe!) if there was a toggle for which you'd prefer in the Options tab.

Speaking of which, Attack: Critical confirm is still in there, but obviously isn't operational.
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Just to clarify. >

In P2 from what I have read on Paizo's forums if I had 18 str and used a Longsword and scored a critcal hit, my dmg would be (1d8+4)x2. Is this what you are reading Midge?

This was how it used to be a long time ago which is simpler to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    In P2 from what I have read on Paizo's forums if I had 18 str and used a Longsword and scored a critcal hit, my dmg would be (1d8+4)x2. Is this what you are reading Midge?
    Correct. But the rulebook itself (as noted above) says it's OK to roll all the dice and double the modifier - see bottom left of page 451.

The ruling itself is more to reduce the number of dice rolled at higher levels than a specific statistical/numbers ruling. We don't have an issue with rolling multiple dice on FG - and, personally, I like seeing lots of dice rolling!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I think even for the optional rule it is bugged - I thought it was instead of (1d8+4)*2 it was doing 2d8+4 - it should be 2d8+8 right? so the modifier also gets doubled?

I also prefer the doubled die rather than doubled result when the computer is rolling the die and doing the math, makes crits more exciting. Also you are more likely to roll a 1 with one die than a snake eyes on two die, but then that also applies to other side doubling the 8 is more likely than rolling two 8's.
    Last edited by yarnevk; August 13th, 2019 at 20:31.

The more dice you are rolling the more your result will tend to the average value.

For 1d8 x 2 2 is 1 in 8, 9 is impossible, and 16 is 1 in 8
    For 2d8 2 is 1 in 64, 9 is 8 in 64 and 16 is 1 in 64

for 2d8 34 of 64 will be 7, 8, 9, 10, or 11

I suspect it doesn't matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by yarnevk View Post
    I think even for the optional rule it is bugged - I thought it was instead of (1d8+4)*2 it was doing 2d8+4 - it should be 2d8+8 right? so the modifier also gets doubled?

I also prefer the doubled die rather than doubled result when the computer is rolling the die and doing the math, makes crits more exciting. Also you are more likely to roll a 1 with one die than a snake eyes on two die, but then that also applies to other side doubling the 8 is more likely than rolling two 8's.
    No. It's doubling the bonus okay, so if you're okay with doubling the dice and modifiers, as per the optional rules, the current ruleset is still works.
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    No. It's doubling the bonus okay, so if you're okay with doubling the dice and modifiers, as per the optional rules, the current ruleset is still works.
    Yep, that's the way it's coded - and has been like that since the Playtest ruleset.

Thread Information