STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Spell Attack or Spell Save DC Effects?

I've looked up multiple threads on this from 2-3+ years ago wherein people claimed these would be added in future versions. Does anyone know if there is any reasonable way to accomplish these effects yet? Or to affect MELEE or RANGED attacks that AREN'T spell attack.

I will say I understand there are not many things in 5e that change these stats specifically. I have some homebrew mechanics related to them on CONSUMABLE ITEMS (so I can't just adjust base stats in every sheet every time), and this is one of the only things I've run into that I can't manage using FG effects.

Welcome to FG. Can you explain what it is you are trying to achieve? I can’t really understand what you want.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Spell Attack bonus and Spell Save bonus are unique attributes in the 5th Edition rule set. Within Fantasy Grounds, it appears these cannot be modified using the SPELL EFFECTS system under the PLAYER ACTIONS tab.

Is there any ability to (or future intention to) allow spell effects to impact these stats? Right now the only way to do this is to modify the spell attack bonus and spell save bonus on every single spell category of an individual character's sheet.

Additionally, I want to modify the player's WEAPON ATTACKS without modifying their SPELL ATTACKS, which also does not appear to be possible currently even though they're very much separate things even in how FG sets up attacks.

To modify a weapon attack create an effect of ATK:1d6, melee or ATK: 2, ranged or ATK: 1d4, melee, ranged for example. This will only affect melee or ranged weapon attacks. Spell attacks are not affected.

There are no effects which you can apply which would affect only some spells and not others (I think this is what you are looking to do). If you need this you would have to apply a bonus to each spell affected. If it isn’t a spell make sure that your power group isn’t a spell group and you can apply the bonus just to that group.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    To modify a weapon attack create an effect of ATK:1d6, melee or ATK: 2, ranged or ATK: 1d4, melee, ranged for example. This will only affect melee or ranged weapon attacks. Spell attacks are not affected.
    Good to know, thanks! [edit] This doesn't seem to be true. Eldritch Blast set to "Spell/Ability Use: Ranged - Group Atk" is affected by "ATK: -5, ranged."

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    There are no effects which you can apply which would affect only some spells and not others (I think this is what you are looking to do). If you need this you would have to apply a bonus to each spell affected. If it isn’t a spell make sure that your power group isn’t a spell group and you can apply the bonus just to that group.
    No, I am looking for the opposite, I want an effect I can apply to a character that will universally improve their Spell Attack Bonus or their Spell Save Bonus (or both) and nothing else. Because this effect is being granted temporarily from a consumable item, modifying the character action categories is not particularly viable.
    Last edited by isaiaheverin; August 2nd, 2019 at 23:37.

Ok, I think I'm getting what it is you are after.

Yes the ATK effect will affect any attack and you can modify it to just melee or ranged attacks but this will also apply to any ranged or melee spells attacks since those are treated as melee or ranged attacks. It wouldn't affect a spell that doesn't have an attack roll (is what I should have said above).

There isn't a way to modify a spell save other than via the Spell Group dialog. You could apply a negative SAVE effect to the target(s) of the spell before the spell is cast or add a modifier to the modifier box again before the save is made. But there isn't an effect which you can apply to the caster which would modify the casters save DC.

Also, of course if the attack bonus to a weapon or spell is temporary you can set the effect to expire on next action or on next roll. The player would need to apply the effect just before the attack roll is mage.

Blog Entries
    5E RAW doesn't have a "spell" attack. All it has are 'attacks' that might also be 'ranged' or 'melee'. Hence why FG doesn't have anything for 'spell'. But as M. Z says, you can make an effect that just lasts for a single roll/action.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

This is also relevant for the Artificer's "Enhanced Arcane Focus" infusion, which gives a +1 bonus to spell attack rolls. As Infusions are designed to be switched out, it's underwhelming not to be able to specify spell attacks (PHB p. 205) in an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Berdrin View Post
    This is also relevant for the Artificer's "Enhanced Arcane Focus" infusion, which gives a +1 bonus to spell attack rolls. As Infusions are designed to be switched out, it's underwhelming not to be able to specify spell attacks (PHB p. 205) in an effect.
    Welcome to FG Berdrin

This is an older thread and since it was posted things have changed. If you create a power group for your infusions you can click the magnifying glass on the title bar and fill in the boxes there to determine spell save DCs and attacks. Also there you can add in any bonus for such things. See video eight in this list on how to set up a power group. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...112#post492112

Thread Information