Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    So a while back I switched things up to Foundry and a hosted solution. I finally got faster internet and have switched back to FGU because I should be able to act as a reasonable host/server now for images. Just qualifying that I know Foundry fairly well.

So why would we stop with animated tokens? Why not MP4/AVI maps? Fully animated scenes are a thing with multiple Patreon makers creating some really breathtaking assets. Yeah, 50mb animated maps might be a bit of a load, but I did it in Foundry and encountered no problems.

Anyhow, I would respectfully submit that Smite should be looking to allow the animation of every visual asset. Think big.

How does Foundry compare to FGU?

Quote Originally Posted by Temmpest View Post
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l20-vs-Foundry
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Animated PNGs please.

Quote Originally Posted by Temmpest View Post
    At the moment Foundry's biggest weakness is that it's missing a lot of less commonly used rulesets. If you're playing 5E there is no WotC module support. It has D&D Beyond integration but you'll need to manually set up every map and encounter.

It doesn't have any map creation tools but many of us don't need that.

They're nearly feature complete but they don't have enough of a playerbase yet to have much in the way of extensions. If they get official module support they are going to be, leaps and bounds, the best VTT going.

That's why I'm really keen for people to start looking at the other VTTs with the aim of staying competitive but it feels like any time I make a suggestion, someone is quick to point out that Unity doesn't allow it . I'm heavily invested in Fantasy Grounds, a lot of us are, and we want it to work out but FGU is the only one of the big three not supporting animated maps and tokens.
    Last edited by Rylan Storm; October 18th, 2021 at 16:27.
    www.accidentaldm.com - The diary of a Newbie DM

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Isn't the difference that Foundry is web based or server based in some way? In other words you aren't relying on the DM's hardware and internet speed? Uploading 60Mb to six players would take me several hours to achieve. Not everyone has lightning fast internet speeds. (Admittedly potato internet is probably the minority now).
    Animated tokens are the size of a typical gif. Be sparing with them and it's not a big deal.

Animated maps vary in size. Some of them are two minute long videos in 4k. Some are 5 seconds long 1080p. Most people on Patreom have a mix. You can get some that are 15mb in size so multiply that by your number of players.

Yes, but the average user doesn't look at the details of how big files are, and understand how that will impact their performance and transfer times. It's always a balancing act.

Regards,
    JPG

I think that, if someone is subscribing to Patreon for animated maps, they're probably not the average user.

But maybe, if that's triggering a lot of support cases for you guys, maybe a warning on image size in app would help.

Please update fantasy grounds to support GIF's

Quote Originally Posted by valle1 View Post
    Please update fantasy grounds to support GIF's
    Add it to the wishlist - or vote if it's already there (which I'm sure it is). Link in my signature.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information