FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Par5e Mod files & Legal usage

Is it legal, to use mod files of like rulebooks for 5e & other UA material?
    I was also thinking of using Par5e to create custom ruleset for races & classes from planeshift series released by WOTC.
    So, I am wondering if, I par5e say physical copies of XGTE and all other rule books or getting a copy from someone else isn't allowed?

And is that legal, or is it illegal to distrubite those mod files and pass it off as your own to make money if you don't get permission?

And where would I ask, if getting something or making copies to get permission to use?

So, what would be allowed for me use Par5e or other files import into FG. As I seen a lot of talk of Par5e and from my assumption you can't sell what u copy from WotC core rulebooks is that what I am getting but if u make say a module of your own it's possible for u to, sell?
    Edit: this all for personal use and I just want, have content use help create encounters for battlemap for my players. or would I have to purchase the rule books again for convience or can I use, Par5e and other stuff. or, if someone else had already done it, u can't copy those files? and what is off limits for that? is it any thing that sold or is it, anything u purchased u have ability have it imported or copy in FG. Just want to know. before do anything as seen par5e talked about a lot is it just for, UA and other stuff? like custom races, custom backgrounds that I want personally. and can u get Par5e mod files from other users or is that something u can't do.

so, if I par5e the rule books myself It's something I can do, but if copy that from someone else who already done it is it fine or, not?
    Last edited by soMeRandoM670; June 25th, 2019 at 13:19.

Blog Entries
    Personal Use is Personal Use. As soon as you start giving it out to others, free or otherwise, it's no longer Personal Use and you're in not so good territory.

Edit: if you are creating your own homebrew stuff, you're still doing it with 5e framework. I think you can distribute or sell on DMsGuild in that case.

Have a read of the OGL for 5e.
    Last edited by JohnD; June 25th, 2019 at 14:32.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Par5e isn't available for download anymore, and if you did have a copy of it I don't think it would be overly useful since there have been significant changes to some of the XML formatting. Project:Author or Engineer Suite would be far more useful now.
    Ultimate License Holder

So, I also have Starship troopers rpg , but pazio stopped its production and release its EULA states free to modify and use for personal stuff, what not so is copy pasting a core rule book like that against terms and agreement of fantasy grounds or is it encouraged if it isnt exact copy and paste of entire book and instead just what's needed to play?

And how would I go about creating horde mechanics as I want write rules on how handle that. I'm pretty new as only started look into fg and been using roll20 for two years now but at limit of its usefulness
    Edit: and mean modify as in adding content and rules like most rpgs and missions and what not

As noted above you can create a Fantasy Grounds module for personal use; but you will not be able to distribute that module here or indeed most likely anywhere else.

Changing a ruleset will require you to either create a ruleset or write an extension to do what you want and that's a whole different ball game. Have a look at the MoreCore ruleset - there may be something there that you can use.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I just bought like 5 5E books and THEN found out about Fantasy Grounds... Not too keen on having to spend practically the same money to use them in Fantasy Grounds... I'd say that is a significant detractor from me using it.

There should be some way of conferring a digital add-on for the material to use in Fantasy Grounds.

Who is getting paid for the modules? Start there... Does Wizards set a licence? An additional 50% might be reasonable... but definitely not a complete doubling of my purchases. It would be VERY simple to attach a unique identifier on print purchases that could be used to establish licence for e-content that could be authenticated to prevent fraud.

Very, Very, disappointed. Will definitely be examining those SRD-OGL rules... I mean... Who actually did the work to make the "conversion" or whatever into the modules?
    Last edited by artreri; December 1st, 2019 at 10:16. Reason: additional comments

Quote Originally Posted by artreri View Post
    I just bought like 5 5E books and THEN found out about Fantasy Grounds... Not too keen on having to spend practically the same money to use them in Fantasy Grounds... I'd say that is a significant detractor from me using it.

There should be some way of conferring a digital add-on for the material to use in Fantasy Grounds.

Who is getting paid for the modules? Start there... Does Wizards set a licence? An additional 50% might be reasonable... but definitely not a complete doubling of my purchases. It would be VERY simple to attach a unique identifier on print purchases that could be used to establish licence for e-content that could be authenticated to prevent fraud.

Very, Very, disappointed. Will definitely be examining those SRD-OGL rules... I mean... Who actually did the work to make the "conversion" or whatever into the modules?
    To answer your last question first; mainly community developers do the work and it takes hundreds of hours to do the conversions.

You are not buying the same product when you buy a Fantasy Grounds module. You are buying a digital version of them which allows you to do a lot more than you can in the physical books. For example you can create a character by dragging and dropping the class, race, background, equipment and spells directly into the character sheet. You can drag monsters right into an encounter, you can, with one click, roll up a complete treasure parcel using the tables in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

Obviously the developer should be rewarded for all of that work, Smiteworks needs to charge something to be in business at all and WotC require their share too.

As I said earlier a module is a different thing altogether from the book. I mean you would not expect a discount to go and see a film made from a book you had purchased and read.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by artreri View Post
    I just bought like 5 5E books and THEN found out about Fantasy Grounds... Not too keen on having to spend practically the same money to use them in Fantasy Grounds...
    Just to throw this out there... Fantasy Grounds contains the means to make any asset you wish to use in it, including everything from every 5e book. You will have to manually type and format everything, but it is possible. So you don't have to buy everything again. The purchases are just saving you the time of entry.
    Last edited by Nickademus; December 1st, 2019 at 14:34.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I am scanning them in... It would be great if there was a more robust authoring tool for making HB materials... Looks like that Par5e was pretty good. Thanks.

I definitely think "the laborer is worthy of their hire"... Just that if it is Wizards... it would be nice to somehow bundle it with the hard copies to encourage the platform usage. I might not have bought the Hardcovers if they were usable and present in their entirety in their Fantasy Grounds Modules.

The licensing is pretty wordy... and I can see that people are making direct support material... I'll need to figure out how the permissions are obtained or the copyrights and trademarks honored in the developing of materials and tools to be used with their content.
    Last edited by artreri; December 2nd, 2019 at 02:42.

Thread Information