5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Gap between image and buttons menu

Hello,

First, excuse my poor English please.

I'm running a D&D 5e game, Tomb of Annihilation, and I'm using the 5e default theme, the one with the red dragon head buttons. But I've customized it a little, using a ToA wallpaper as the background.

But now, when I maximize an image (just for once, not the 2nd maximizing), such a map or whatever, i get a gap between the image and the buttons menu on the right:

GAP.PNG

What can I do to remove that gap and make the image grow a bit to the right?

Thanks,

Eldarc

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure, but from what I've gathered from similar questions over the years...
    The background uses 9 slices, so if you have only replaced the center slice, you still have the top, left, right, bottom and corner pieces. Don't know if you can remove those. But, be aware that the background/center tile will tile, and I doubt your image will tile well and therefore will look different depending upon each players screen resolution.

You might want to consider using a decal instead, see the Custom Decal Tutorial here; https://www.fg-con.com/free-downloads/

You will still have the issue with various screen resolutions, but if you know everyone is using the same resolution, you won't have the 9 slices issue.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you for your answers LordEntrails!

My resolution is 1920x1080, the most common resolution if I'm not wrong.

I think using a decal instead of a background is useless. The problem is the "thing" that's on the left of the button menu on the 5e standard theme:

GAP2.PNG

So I guess my only chance is fixing those "slices". What file (ext, dat, etc) do I have to edit to fix that? Is there an extension to fix that since we can't edit password protected *.dat files?

Thank you again.

Instead of replacing the background frame, you should add the image in a decal extension.

Regards,
    JPG

You are the developers and you know what you say, so you must be right and I'm wrong, no doubt. But I still don't understand what the decal has to do with the gap between an image, any maximized image and the button menu. Why using a decal will make the gap between the image and the button menu disappear?

Thanks

Because the decal is just an image placed over desktop at a fixed size, while a background frame requires a 9-slice setup and must cover the entire background.

Regards,
    JPG

I don't know if I don't understand what you mean, or if it's my poor English and you don't understand me.

I'm not having any issue with the background. It fits perfectly. No problem at all.

The issues come when I open any image, i.e. a map, and I click once on the arrow button on its top right corner to maximize it. It should fit perfectly between the chat box and the button menu on the right. But it doesn't. There's a gap between the maximixed image (not the background/decal, but any image in the adventure module) and the button menu.

I still don't get what the background and the decal have to do with it.

Anyway, very appreciated.

Sorry, I was answering from my phone, so I couldn't really make out what you were referring to in the picture.

Now that I am able to see the picture, that torn material graphic is part of the sidebar graphics for that ruleset or theme extension you are using. The background panel used for displaying images in the background is set up not to write over the sidebar.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Ah, I think I led the topic astray as I thought you were writing a theme extension, not just using the image to background function built into FG. As Moon says, that gap is from the sidebar layout itself. Try a different theme and see if you can get something you like better (though the buttons will look different) or change the number of buttons displayed on the sidebar, that might make it less noticeable (but will be player specific as each player gets to control their own library buttons).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    In this particular case it is not the desktop image that is the issue it is the definition of teh sidebar.
    This sidebar was designed to have that torn paper layers look and is set to be wider than the sidebar n most themes.
    the sidebar will always have precedence over the desktop

now to backgrounds vs decals
    1920x1080 is teh most common but still only half of all users are using that so on average half of your users wot se something that is optimised for 1920x1080 correctly if they have a different setting
    using images like that you are best to use a decal - it will be more consistent
    the desktop itself really wants to work with images that tile

Thread Information