5E Character Create Playlist

Possible to share items/NPCs between multiple campaigns?

Hi all, I was curious if there's a way to somehow share Item and NPC data between multiple campaigns.

I'm running two separate 5E campaigns and often I find myself making or modifying a few Items or NPCs in one campaign, that I wouldn't mind having available in my other campaign. Now I know I can export my 2-3 new items as a module, start up my other campaign and then manually import the new additions, but it seems quite tedious to do this every time I make something new in either campaign.

Is there a way to somehow have both campaigns pull their Item/NPC data from the same source, or otherwise "share" data? Or some way of more efficiently/easily duplicating new additions back and forth? I realize it might not be possible, but I figured I'd ask, because I'm constantly finding myself surprised with what FG can do.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rades View Post
    Is there a way to somehow have both campaigns pull their Item/NPC data from the same source, or otherwise "share" data?
    This functionality is a module. There's not an "easier" way to share data between campaigns. Because, quite frankly, exporting to a module and then reading the data from that module in another campaign is a pretty straightforward and efficient process (IMO) - just the matter of the click of a few buttons - the module export window remembers the last module name used, etc. - you just need to select which FG data to export.

Quote Originally Posted by Rades View Post
    Now I know I can export my 2-3 new items as a module, start up my other campaign and then manually import the new additions...
    Why are you manually importing new additions? Export to a single module - the same module name each time, keep that module open in your other campaign and it will load all the new data the next time you open that campaign.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 3rd, 2019 at 03:14.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    What I would do is create a development campaign that you don't use for play. Create all NPCs in all items in that then export it and then open that module and both campaigns. When you need to update it in the development campaign update it modify it at new NPCs and new items and Export it again.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    What I would do is create a development campaign that you don't use for play. Create all NPCs in all items in that then export it and then open that module and both campaigns. When you need to update it in the development campaign update it modify it at new NPCs and new items and Export it again.
    That probably is making it more complex than it needs to be. The OP has two campaigns they're running - and sometimes they add "stuff" into one campaign on the fly, while prepping for that game, as the need arises etc.. to then have to export/import into a module making campaign and export again is a lot of faff. All I'd do is export from campaign 1 into "Campaign 1 FG stuff module", then use that module as needed in campaign 2. And export from campaign 2 into "Campaign 2 FG stuff module", then use that module as needed in campaign 1.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    That probably is making it more complex than it needs to be. The OP has two campaigns they're running - and sometimes they add "stuff" into one campaign on the fly, while prepping for that game, as the need arises etc.. to then have to export/import into a module making campaign and export again is a lot of faff. All I'd do is export from campaign 1 into "Campaign 1 FG stuff module", then use that module as needed in campaign 2. And export from campaign 2 into "Campaign 2 FG stuff module", then use that module as needed in campaign 1.
    Thanks for the suggestions, Trenloe - I think I just had it in my head to use as few modules as possible (so therefore the desire to manually import the data from the modules each time), but after reading your replies it obviously makes more sense to just keep updating a single export module.

(I think I was also a little unclear if updating an existing module I'd previously made would mess anything up if the contents changed, as I've never really had to export things before. Lesson learned!)

Thread Information