Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate927 View Post
    Hey, in FGU, when I reveal parts of the map, by taking off part of the fog of war, the NPC's that should become visible are not shown to the players.. even though they are selected as visible in the combat tracker. does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    The only time that I have seen this, is when none of the player tokens had line of sight to the NPC tokens. Can you reproduce the problem?

Yes thank you for responding. It is in the first encounter of Hoard of the dragon queen, called adventuring life. The PC and the NPC's are in the wide open. I set all the kobolds to visible and they are seen by the player. then I put on the fog of war, and I reveal some tiles which some of the kobolds inhabit, and they remain unseen by the player, even though they are set to visible, and the fog of war has been lifted, the only way I have discovered to reveal them is to delete all the fog of war. I would for reasons only reveal some in certain scenarios, such as when they are not in line of sight ect.. the fog of war appears to trump the combat tracker. But there are times when I would like to keep some of the fog of war and reveal some of the NPC's. The combat tracker works to reveal which NPC's I would like too, but when I have the fog of war on, none of the NPCS are visible, I would like to reveal only the npc's that are not hidden by fog of war. I don't know if that helps to describe what I am potentially doing wrong. Thanks so much.

I just did the same thing as you described, only inside of the Curse of Strahd. It appears that when you use the mask feature along with line of sight/fog of war, the DM has to manually move the PC token into the area that was previously masked off. I only had to do this once, to allow the remaining areas/tokens to be revealed without an issue.

This is something that should be placed in the Bug/report thread.

I can't reproduce this.

I take a map and add some NPCs to it from the CT.
    I enable LoS and enable the Mask; place the player on the map and then share the map.
    I then reveal an area of the mask and the player can move around.
    I make the NPCs visible on the CT and then reveal an area where there are NPCs on the map and the PC can immediately see them.

What steps are different from the way you are doing it?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

When I did it, I loaded the map and enabled line of sight/fog of war. Dropped the tokens on the map from the CT, then masked the map. That's when I had to manually move the token into the masked area.

It could easily be a simple matter of "order of operations". Do all the enabling and masking first, lastly add the tokens. When doing it in this order, I did not see the issue again.

Have to agree, LOS without dynamic lighting is a trivial gain at best.

Having supported many table platforms, dynamic lighting is critical feature for larger maps incorporating darkness mechanics. Not only does it enhance mechanical play regarding visibility but as previously noted it impacts aesthetic play. This is DUNGEONS and dragon, view distance, darkness/daylight/light spells, torches are a core function of game play.

Dynamic lighting is an important function to any virtual table top, and more important than weather effects.

Without a vision radius to control it, dynamic lighting is unfortunately unusable for me and this is supposed to be FGU's killer new feature. My comment was posted over a year ago and we're still waiting for it, meanwhile other VTTs are blasting forward with their development and implementing features at a rapid rate.

This has ultimately lead me to reconsider my attention on FGU and am for now focusing on the newly released Foundry VTT which already seems to be much more advanced than FGU and is implementing new functionality much more quickly.

Agreed. Not only is it over a year ago, or more if you look at when this feature was first highlighted as a high priority ask, there isn't even any hint of when it might be implemented. LOS as implemented is only half a feature without lighting and all but useless as far as the practicalities of a visualisation tool in game.

While I'm not going to be abandoning FGU anytime soon there does appear to be a bunch of low hanging coding fruit that SmiteWorks is ignoring in preference to what? ...adding more rulesets I'm never going to use?

Some indication of where things like locking player tokens so we can use movement properly 'in game' or dynamic lighting is on the roadmap would be very much appreciated.

I wonder if it's possible to use D20 for the maps and FG for everything else?

It has always been said that it is a high priority - after Unity is out of Beta. It's still in Beta. And adding lighting isn't exactly low hanging fruit. It'll take a fair bit of complicated coding to get it to work.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Skyjoos View Post
    While I'm not going to be abandoning FGU anytime soon there does appear to be a bunch of low hanging coding fruit that SmiteWorks is ignoring in preference to what? ...adding more rulesets I'm never going to use?
    As an FYI - rulesets aren't created by the developers doing Unity. They're created primarily by external developers on work-for-hire (commission based) contracts. So all of those rulesets that a lot of people love to see, but you obviously don't, aren't impacting Unity development one bit.

As Zacchaeus mentions, range based LOS is not low hanging fruit.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information