5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by VisioDei View Post
    I agree, Please set dynamic lighting as a high priority, right below optimizing code.

I purchased the software because of the DM tools (they are better than roll20, ability to import/export modules, combat tracker, party loot, etc...) but I feel like I should have purchased the classic because LOS is a gimmick that is not worth using unless it limits range by vision.
    I just found out we wouldn't get dynamic lighting on release. LOS without DL is just a gimmick indeed. We will still need to use mask. That's a bummer...

When I saw how smooth the LOS was working compared to my experience with roll20, I was excited and happy to get Unity... then I realized there is no dynamic range for tokens, and no way to set light sources, etc. the use of brushes was second on my list for reasons to use Unity, but that is very buggy yet, and the layers functionality is very lacking still. Yes I knew it is beta, it is just not as far along as I was believing after watching videos of Unity functions. LOS needs dynamic range at the very least to make it useful. Also, with the mask, not having a poly reveal ability, diagonal halls, and spaces are a pain to reveal.

Dynamic lighting for light source sure would be nice, but there's a whole lot more to FG than that. Ive played with a lot of VTT platforms but FG offers me a wealth of tools and functionality unrivaled by any, IMHO.
    TheEldritchPress.com
    Editions 1st-5th since '79
    Running on a Mac. Yup, I'm one of those guys

+1

Please implement token-based, dynamic lighting based on configurable ranges as soon as possible. As others have said, LOS is the major attraction to convert to FGU for my campaigns, but without dynamic lighting, LOS likely won't get used.

I would like to see it implemented also, but I use LOS all the time in Unity and it works great. Few times was dynamic lighting noticeably missed, and those were in long range outdoor encounters and using a mask fixed that easily. In every indoor scenario, it was super useful. I don't think it is fair to say it is useless without dynamic lighting. But yes, it will be a step up when it is implemented.
    TheEldritchPress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graylock View Post
    I would like to see it implemented also, but I use LOS all the time in Unity and it works great. Few times was dynamic lighting noticeably missed, and those were in long range outdoor encounters and using a mask fixed that easily. In every indoor scenario, it was super useful. I don't think it is fair to say it is useless without dynamic lighting. But yes, it will be a step up when it is implemented.
    See that all kind of depends on what map you are running though. I haven't really done much with VTTs at all, but I can recall certain moments in my in-person games where there was a very long hall or a large opening that even with darkvision most of the players could not see wall to wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Graylock View Post
    If there was DL, bothering with mask would no longer be a thing. Both outdoors and large indoor areas (I'm talking to you Curse of Strahd) would be much simpler to handle. Maybe LOS is not useless, but it's just sort of a gimmick indeed. "Do I have line of sight to attack that orc over there?". That's a millisecond adjudication by the DM. Setting up and erasing mask every time and thinking about every PC field of vision, that's hard work. Are you familiar with how DL works on FG's main competitor? That's the ONLY thing I miss about it. Actually, no, I do miss the easy ping they have there.

Agreed on all points and certainly true. I too can't wait for DL and Pinging. However, in the end, I drop all my money into FG because I feel it is superior, even without those two things.
    TheEldritchPress.com

+1 one more vote for moving DL towards the top of the to do list. I was looking forward to implementing it in an upcoming game and a little disappointed to find it unavailable.

LOS is good but it will be much, much better with vision limits taken into consideration.

Hey, in FGU, when I reveal parts of the map, by taking off part of the fog of war, the NPC's that should become visible are not shown to the players.. even though they are selected as visible in the combat tracker. does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thread Information