DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

how to gain powers

I am new to Savage Worlds and am loving it, but still trying to figure out some rules. How do you gain powers? Is it by advancement or rank? And how many new powers are you allowed per advancement or rank? And it looks like that any of the arcane backgrounds can use any of the powers, they are not divided up by arcane category. Is that correct? Thanks for helping me understand this.
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Blog Entries
    Find the place of ancient power, where the stones still stand tall and the druids did once commune with the old gods.
    Sacrifice a black goat at 6 minutes past the moons zenith on the winter solstice.
    Spill the creatures entrails into an onyx bowl and read the foretelling revealed there.
    Take the creatures blood and paint the power runes as guided by the foretelling.
    Do not tarry nor waver in your resolve.
    Those that grant the power do so only to the worthy.
    Wear the goats head and face the sun as it breaks the horizon on the new dawn and with a cold forged silver blade draw forth 6 ounces of thine own blood and paint the runes on your own body.
    Keep thine hand steady for the spirits are close and they thirst for the blood of the weak and unworthy.
    Finally make your pact offering, swear unto the dark ones and pray they accept your present.

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    I am new to Savage Worlds and am loving it, but still trying to figure out some rules. How do you gain powers? Is it by advancement or rank? And how many new powers are you allowed per advancement or rank? And it looks like that any of the arcane backgrounds can use any of the powers, they are not divided up by arcane category. Is that correct? Thanks for helping me understand this.
    When you advance you can (among other options), take an edge, if that edge is New Power you can take a power of the same Rank or Lower, i.e. Seasoned PC can select a Seasoned or Novice Power.

In the core rules there are no limitations on what powers can be taken, but many settings do limit power selection.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Find the place of ancient power, where the stones still stand tall and the druids did once commune with the old gods.
    Sacrifice a black goat at 6 minutes past the moons zenith on the winter solstice.
    Spill the creatures entrails into an onyx bowl and read the foretelling revealed there.
    Take the creatures blood and paint the power runes as guided by the foretelling.
    Do not tarry nor waver in your resolve.
    Those that grant the power do so only to the worthy.
    Wear the goats head and face the sun as it breaks the horizon on the new dawn and with a cold forged silver blade draw forth 6 ounces of thine own blood and paint the runes on your own body.
    Keep thine hand steady for the spirits are close and they thirst for the blood of the weak and unworthy.
    Finally make your pact offering, swear unto the dark ones and pray they accept your present.
    Or you can just try to find a radioactive spider to bite you.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGraystone View Post
    Or you can just try to find a radioactive spider to bite you.
    Ah! But then you are shackled with great responsibilities.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    When you advance you can (among other options), take an edge, if that edge is New Power you can take a power of the same Rank or Lower, i.e. Seasoned PC can select a Seasoned or Novice Power.

In the core rules there are no limitations on what powers can be taken, but many settings do limit power selection.
    In SWADE the edge is called "New Powers" and you get TWO new powers.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikael View Post
    In SWADE the edge is called "New Powers" and you get TWO new powers.
    Whoah! Missed that change!

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

What I do in my fantasy games is that when a player finds another Arcane background (magic) users 'spellbook' and they take the new power edge; they can learn those powers if they want (2 per New Power edge). They can also 'trade out' powers of equal or lesser rank if they have a spellbook with the spell in it. All spellcasters (magic) keep a book with spells in it and sell/trade them with other spellcasters.
    Makes a sort of economy for them, it also makes it more exciting for spellcasters when they take out another spellcaster. They immediately start searching for their book. Thieves also like to get their hands on power spellbooks - to sell them of course.
    Faith based casters simply pray overnight and get new powers. Gifted must be trained by someone with the new power, or seen/had it cast upon themselves to learn it.
    Ultimate license owner.
    I use FG online as well as at the tabletop. I usually stream my games; Savage Worlds - Sat at 6, Sunday at 2 and 6pm and 5e on Monday at 6:30 pm Pacific time. Look for 7thSim on Twitch!

The Powers themselves are "general purpose" in the sense that they are the basic mechanics of how they work. If you are running a game with Arcane Backgrounds, then as a GM I'd advise building them out with flavour and trappings into more interesting atmospheric spells. Zadmar's free Savage Spellbook is a godsend for this, and I highly recommend it.

https://www.godwars2.org/SavageWorld...eSpellbook.pdf

I just give my players a copy of that to choose from. Or pick something from it to put in a found spellbook, depending on how experienced they are and what makes sense in the setting.

If a player is very experienced in Savage Worlds I might allow them to create their own spells, but I insist they do it in a similar manner to this i.e. nobody gets to have a spell called simply "Bolt". Instead it needs to be something like "Master Cho's Amazing Ice Dart", or "Immaculate Bolt of Fiery Doom", etc.
    Last edited by rodney418; May 20th, 2019 at 12:53.
    Game Streams - twitch.tv/rodney418
    Ultimate License
    - All you need to play in my games is Fantasy Grounds Demo

Favourite Rulesets: Savage Worlds
    Currently Running: Pirates of the Spanish Main, Interface Zero, Primeval Thule
    Time Zone: PST

good point Rodney! I have used that pdf a lot in my games to add more fun to spellcasting.

Also, GM's should remember that the rules are for a 'sandbox' - you can do pretty much whatever you like with stuff, if you just want spellcasters to gain new powers when they take the edge, then do it. If you want it to be a major pain in the rear - then do that. I run 3 fantasy based games and I use different rules for each one. Makes it a lot more fun for me as the GM. I have to use a cheat sheet to keep track of our rules - and I was majorly glad to see that they included a list in the SWADE rules for just that.
    Ultimate license owner.
    I use FG online as well as at the tabletop. I usually stream my games; Savage Worlds - Sat at 6, Sunday at 2 and 6pm and 5e on Monday at 6:30 pm Pacific time. Look for 7thSim on Twitch!

Thread Information