DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 40 of 58 First ... 30383940414250 ... Last
    OK...I think I found a repeatable bug in the way critical damage is handled...

Preconditions: New campaign, no extensions loaded, 2 characters in the Combat Tracker (1 practice dummy and one attacker (+5 damage))
    In the rolls below, d = damage dice, g=crit dice, p=effect dice.

Scenario 1: Critical Hit (greatsword)
    In this scenario, everything works as expected. Damage is computed as follows:
    Roll: 6d,2d,6g,5g + 5 = 24 ... [DAMAGE(M)] Greatsword [CRITICAL][TYPE: slashing (2d6+5=13)][TYPE:slashing,critical (2d6=11)]

Scenario 2: Critical Hit (greatsword) + extra 1d4 effect damage
    In this scenario, everything works as expected. Damage is computed as follows:
    Roll: 4d,6d,1g,6g,1p,4g + 5 = 27 ... [DAMAGE (M)] Greatsword [EFFECTS 1d4] [CRITICAL][TYPE:slashing (1d4+2d6+5=16)][TYPE:slashing,critical (1d4+2d6=11)]

Scenario 3: Critical Hit (greatsword) + extra 1d6 effect damage
    In this scenario, the damage is computed incorrectly (or the dice output is incorrect):
    Roll: 6d,1d,3g,2g,1p,3g + 5 = 21 ... [DAMAGE (M)] Greatsword [EFFECTS 1d6][CRITICAL][TYPE:slashing (3d6+5=15)][TYPE:slashing,critical (3d6=6)]

The non-critical damage should be 6d+1d+1p+5 = 13, but instead it computes 6d+1d+3g+5=15.
    The critical damage should be 3g+3g+3g = 9, but instead it computes 2g+1p+3g = 6.

This matters, for example, when the target is immune to critical damage:
    Scenario 4: Critical Hit (greatsword) + extra 1d6 effect damage; target effect = "IMMUNE: critical"
    Roll: 5d,2d,2g,1g,1p,3g + 5 = 19 ... [DAMAGE (M)] Greatsword [EFFECTS 1d6][CRITICAL][TYPE: slashing (3d6+5=14)][TYPE: slashing, critical (3d6=5)]
    Damage [14] -> [to Target][PARTIALLY RESISTED]

By my understanding, the damage should be as follows:
    non-critical: 5d+2d+1p+5 = 13
    critical: 2g+1g+3g = 6

Analysis:

It looks like this only happens when the effect dice is the same type as the damage dice. If that is the case, the non-critical damage uses the first critical dice instead of the effect dice, and the critical damage uses the effect dice instead of the effect dice.

Am I off base?

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheoGeek; November 17th, 2019 at 21:49.

I got too confused with all the p's, d's etc to follow.

At any rate when I test with a DMG: 1d4 effect and a club as the weapon then 1d4+1d4 normal damage is rolled on a crit and this doubles up with another 2d4 rolled for the effect. This would be correct since on a critical hit all damage dice are doubled (thus a rogue with sneak attack of 2d6 would also double the 2d6 on a critical). If I switch to a Greatsword and DMG: 1d6, then the 2d6 for the greatsword is doubled as well as the 1d6 effect giving 6d6 altogether. With a greatsword and DMG: 1d4 I get 4d6 + 2d4.

If the dice is included as an additional dice on a critical then again with a club as the weapon 3d4 are rolled. 1d4 normal + another 1d4 critical and then another 1d4 additional.

As far as I can see therefore everything is working as expected.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I got too confused with all the p's, d's etc to follow.

At any rate when I test with a DMG: 1d4 effect and a club as the weapon then 1d4+1d4 normal damage is rolled on a crit and this doubles up with another 2d4 rolled for the effect. This would be correct since on a critical hit all damage dice are doubled (thus a rogue with sneak attack of 2d6 would also double the 2d6 on a critical). If I switch to a Greatsword and DMG: 1d6, then the 2d6 for the greatsword is doubled as well as the 1d6 effect giving 6d6 altogether. With a greatsword and DMG: 1d4 I get 4d6 + 2d4.

If the dice is included as an additional dice on a critical then again with a club as the weapon 3d4 are rolled. 1d4 normal + another 1d4 critical and then another 1d4 additional.

As far as I can see therefore everything is working as expected.

The d's, g's, and p's refer to the damage types - per the LUA code, "d"=normal damage (black dice in the chat window), "g"=critical dice (green in the chat window), and "p"=effect dice (purple in the chat window.)

Everything works if the target does not have the "IMMUNE: critical" effect, but add the "IMMUNE: critical" effect to the target and the total damage changes based on how many sides the effect dice has.

When you do that (and the effect dice is the same type as the damage dice), it actually includes the first critical dice in the total and ignores the effect dice entirely.

I may be reading the rule wrongly, but I would think that if the target is immune to criticals, the only things that should count are the normal weapon damage (the "d's" in the rolls in my original post) and the effect damage (the "p's" in the rolls in my original posts).

Try your example with the target having "IMMUNE: critical", and vary the source's effect dice type. You'll find it computes the damage differently depending on if the effect dice is the same type as the weapon damage dice or not.

Minor issue ... but the Frost Giant token in the 5e Monster Manual has a weird triangle in one corner.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
    The d's, g's, and p's refer to the damage types - per the LUA code, "d"=normal damage (black dice in the chat window), "g"=critical dice (green in the chat window), and "p"=effect dice (purple in the chat window.)

Everything works if the target does not have the "IMMUNE: critical" effect, but add the "IMMUNE: critical" effect to the target and the total damage changes based on how many sides the effect dice has.

When you do that (and the effect dice is the same type as the damage dice), it actually includes the first critical dice in the total and ignores the effect dice entirely.

I may be reading the rule wrongly, but I would think that if the target is immune to criticals, the only things that should count are the normal weapon damage (the "d's" in the rolls in my original post) and the effect damage (the "p's" in the rolls in my original posts).

Try your example with the target having "IMMUNE: critical", and vary the source's effect dice type. You'll find it computes the damage differently depending on if the effect dice is the same type as the weapon damage dice or not.
    I missed the point if the immunity to critical. I’ll test tomorrow.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus VeX View Post
    Minor issue ... but the Frost Giant token in the 5e Monster Manual has a weird triangle in one corner.
    It isn’t weird at all.

I just didn’t delete the mask properly. Thanks for noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I missed the point if the immunity to critical. I’ll test tomorrow.
    Awesome. Thanks!

Sorry, it seems to be off whenever there is effect damage...period.

Again, same scenario as above.

Whenever there is NO effect damage, everything works fine.

However, whenever there is effect damage, regardless of "IMMUNE: critical", damage doesn't get computed correctly.

Here is the example copied from above:

Scenario 2: Critical Hit (greatsword) + extra 1d4 effect damage
    Roll: 4d,6d,1g,6g,1p,4g + 5 = 27 ... [DAMAGE (M)] Greatsword [EFFECTS 1d4] [CRITICAL][TYPE:slashing (1d4+2d6+5=16)][TYPE:slashing,critical (1d4+2d6=11)]

But apparently, in this case, it works out because the first crit damage (the "1g") is the same as the first effect damage (the "1p").

When I manually enter the damage as this instead (changing the effect damage to "4"):

Scenario 2 (modified): Critical Hit (greatsword) + extra 1d4 effect damage
    Roll: 4d,6d,1g,6g,4p,4g + 5 = 30 ... [DAMAGE (M)] Greatsword [EFFECTS 1d4][CRITICAL][TYPE:slashing (1d4+2d6+5=16)][TYPE:slashing,critical (1d4+2d6=14)]

Note that the non-critical damage is still 16. The 1d4+2d6+5=16 is computed by adding the 4g+6d+1g+5=16...the effect die isn't added in at all. The critical damage is computed by adding the rest: 6g+4p+4g=14.

I manually changed the die to show the additions as follows:
    Roll: 1d, 2d, 4g, 8g, 16p, 32g + 5 = 68 ... [DAMAGE (M)] Greatsword [EFFECTS 1d4][CRITICAL][TYPE: slashing (1d4+2d6+5=12)][TYPE: slashing,critical (1d4+2d6=56)]

The only way those totals can be obtained is if the non-critical damage is adding the 1d+2d+4g+5 and the critical damage is adding the 8g+16p+32g=56.

Without effect damage, everything is as it should be, even with critical immunity.

Thanks!

Tyranny of Dragons
    Hoard of the Dragon Queen
    Chapter 3
    Encounter 12

Story text says, "They maintain a two-person watch at the entrance (area 1); two dragonclaws are currently on duty in that area"
    This means the two guard tokens at the entrance of the tunnel to areas 12 & 13 are misplaced. They should be in area 12. If the tokens stay where they are, the tactics in the second paragraph cannot happen.
    I would move those guard tokens to be to either side of the tunnel entrance to area 11. This placement will allow them to accomplish the tactics in the second paragraph.

Encounter 13
    The cultist should start with the unconscious and intoxicated traits (if possible). If not, the DM will have to add them manually.

Tyranny of Dragons
    Hoard of the Dragon Queen
    Chapter 4

E04-06-12 Stranded
    The text says that the noble and guards are under the wagon, but token placement does not show that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
    Awesome. Thanks!

Sorry, it seems to be off whenever there is effect damage...period. etc
    I'm still not able to follow the g's and d's etc. But I think I see what you mean. So to better illustrate here's an image and you can tell me if this is what you are meaning. The setup is Greatsword with a DMG: 1d4 effect added against a creature with IMMUNE: critical. So the critical damage dice are green and in each case those are the dice that should be avoided. The roll totals for the green dice are 12, 9 and 10 respectively and that damage should be resisted by the creature. In the first roll the total damage was 26 and removing the green dice leaves us with 14. However 16 damage was taken. In the second roll the green dice total 9 out of 20 damage rolled leaving 11 but 13 damage got through and in the third roll the green total is 11 out of 21 leaving 10 damage but 11 was taken. So some part of the critical damage is still getting through to the target. This looks like some kind of rounding error and I have vague notion that this has come up before at some point, but I can't be sure.

If this is the scenario that you are describing then let me know and I'll send it on to Moon Wizard. If it isn't could you show me in pictures because I really can't follow all the g's and d's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information