FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Question on weapons & atk bonus+ transfer to Adv. League Char Sheet

Hi I-hate-real-life-and-I-love-RPG-gamers,

Am I reasoning right in the following example:

A level 5 bard, dexterity 16, has a light crossbow equipped (1d8, piercing, 80/320 range). As a bard, she is proficient in hand crossbows, and, as a light crossbow is a hand crossbow, she is proficient in using it. Her proficiency bonus is +3 as it's a level 5 bard.

So, when using this light crossbow in a ranged attack, her attack rolls - and only her attack rolls - get +6 (!), as she gets +3 from her proficiency and +3 from her dexterity modifier. So d20 + DEX + proficiency equals the value that has to be compared to the enemy's AC. Personal remark: +6 is huge, but that's the way it is...

If it hits, the damage is just 1d8 according to me.

But, if I create the xml-file via Fantasy Grounds, and, I export this xml-file to print this sheet in pdf via https://www.alonlinetools.net/FGCharacterSheet.aspx , the "damage/type" is showing 1d8 (damage) + 3 piercing. And... I don't get this "+ 3 piercing".

Can someone help me out please?

Thank you!

Hi RPGIsAboutLife, welcome to FG

I don't know anything about Adventure League rules, but yes a Bard under normal rules has proficiency in Simple weapons and a Light Crossbow is a simple weapon. They are specifically proficient in Hand Crossbows which is a martial weapon and so normally they would not be proficient in that. (A Light Crossbow is not the same as a hand crossbow).

So, with a light crossbow your level 5 Bard with DEX of 16, has + 6 to hit and +3 damage bonus. So you total damage is 1d8+3. You get your DEX bonus to damage since this is a ranged weapon (rather than strength bonus if it were a melee weapon).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    +6 for 1d8+3 piercing is correct for your bard. AL rules for 99% of everything is the same, the only differences are things like the use of a few magic items, and how you have to record adventures and results etc.

Are you just surprised about the +6 to hit?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    In 5e everyone gets bonuses for everything; you just need to get used to it.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

First of all: thank you for your prompt response.

I don't know anything about Adventure League rules => %e neither, but I just used that website, linked to AL, to convert the FD XML to PDF.

but yes a Bard under normal rules has proficiency in Simple weapons and a Light Crossbow is a simple weapon. => OK.

They are specifically proficient in Hand Crossbows which is a martial weapon and so normally they would not be proficient in that. (A Light Crossbow is not the same as a hand crossbow).
    => I stand corrected: a light crossbow isn't the same as a hand crossbow, I just looked it up, thank you.

So, with a light crossbow your level 5 Bard with DEX of 16, has + 6 to hit and +3 damage bonus. So you total damage is 1d8+3. You get your DEX bonus to damage since this is a ranged weapon (rather than strength bonus if it were a melee weapon). => OK, I get it.

Summary:

ATTACK ROLL: 1d20 + ability modifier + if related weapon proficiency, your proficiency bonus

and WHEN IT'S A HIT

DAMAGE equals the weapon damage dice + the ability modifier used for the attack roll.

"Are you just surprised about the +6 to hit?" => In my humble opinion, a D&D character upgrades/evolves quite fast when compared to Call of Cthulhu characters...

Quote Originally Posted by RPGIsAboutLife View Post
    "Are you just surprised about the +6 to hit?" => In my humble opinion, a D&D character upgrades/evolves quite fast when compared to Call of Cthulhu characters...
    Good Day RPGIsAboutLife
    I agree that 5E is like that, but there is now a 2E version you can buy that is a much slower pace for bonuses. I cannot wait to finish the campaign I am DMing to run an Older School version.
    Last edited by Bonkon; January 12th, 2020 at 21:28. Reason: Typo.. Stupid Phone!

Quote Originally Posted by RPGIsAboutLife View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkon View Post
    Good Day RPGIsAboutLife
    I agree that 5E is like that, but there is now a 2E version you can buy that is a much slower pace for bonuses. I cannot wait to finish the campaign I am DMing to run an Older School version.
    Each system has it's own balance. Just because one system progress at a certain pace doesn't make it better or worse than any other system. 5e uses the bounded accuracy method which the other versions of D&D don't an neither does CoC. It all depends on the system. A +1 in 5e might not mean a great deal but it could make a huge difference in another system and vice versa.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkon View Post
    Good Day RPGIsAboutLife
    Where to be found?
    Last edited by RPGIsAboutLife; January 13th, 2020 at 07:37.

@Zaccheus: A comparison with other RPG-mechanisms is worth another topic - and will undoubtedly already exist!
    Last edited by RPGIsAboutLife; January 13th, 2020 at 07:38.

Thread Information