DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

DCC RPG and Fantasy Grounds

Hello everybody! I'm new to these forums so I'll get to the point.

I'm a big fan of the RPG Dungeon Crawl Classics and saw that Fantasy Grounds just released a source book for this game system. I haven't used FG before due to them not having the ruleset for DCC.

1. Is the DCC RPG ruleset in fantasy grounds easy to use and does anybody know how through it is? I find the roll20 system lacking and have eyed FG for a while as a potential future alternative.

2. Does the ruleset share with other users if only one person (GM) owns the pack?

3. Does FG run more smoothly than roll 20 and how do people handle audio and video sharing? Is there any major differences that may put off my players from making the transition to FF?

Blog Entries
    Welcome

1. Since I'mnot a DCC user, I won't comment on this, but will point you to the DCC discussion thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...g-Game-Ruleset

2. Yes, only the GM needs the ruleset, it will download to players as needed.

3. My opinion yes. Most people use Discord, though their is a community hosted TeamSpeak server (though it is audio only). The major thing is FG is not web based, so it actually put a bit more responsibility and control on the GM (which can be a challenge if you have networking issues, but we can usually help you through those). Also, FG is more mouse/right mouse driven and has very few menus. Also note that FG is not "token" based, so you don't assign properties to a token, rather you assign a token to a PC or NPC object which has all the properties. And, one of the golden rules of FG is to add PCs to the combat tracker from their portrait in the upper left corner, and then add NPCs to the CT from the NPC list or the pre-placed encounter, THEN add PCs and NPCs to the map from the CT.

Check into FG College, also their are tons of videos on YouTube, and the User manual. They will all save you lots of time and frustration.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the timely response!

1. Too a quick look and it seems there are some YouTube walkthroughs of the rule set I'll look into. Your link if also a good place to keep tabs on. Thanks!

2. That's really reassuring about the flow down of the rule set.

3. These seem like some good tips, and I'll pretty familiar with Discord so hopefully the video function of that would be good enough. Are there any functions for sharing music or sound effects through FG? Roll20 has the functionality even if it is really low performing so I'd like to know if FG has an equivalent. I'll take a peek into the FG college as this seems like a really good resource!

Blog Entries
    Check out the DOE:Sound extension. Not sure if it works with the DCC ruleset or not, but it should be clearly listed in the post or extension documentation. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ound-Extension

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelando View Post
    Are there any functions for sharing music or sound effects through FG? Roll20 has the functionality even if it is really low performing so I'd like to know if FG has an equivalent.
    There is no direct implementation of sound FX/music sharing in Fantasy Grounds. Many FG users will share music/SFX via the voice communication software they're using - allowing user preference and greater control - however, there is some sound setup on the GM side to combine (or send via another channel) voice and music/SFX. I've been using this approach for over 4 years and find it very reliable (using a separate channel for music/SFX to the GM voice channel) and has the advantage of individuals adjusting the volume so that they can hear everyone speaking and also the background music/SFX.

The DOE sound extension linked above can be used to trigger local URL type resources to play sound on either the GM's computer (then shared via the voice comms application being used) or will be triggered on all connected users (GM and players) - which would require the players to also have access to the resource being used.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    The DCC ruleset is easy to use if you have experience with Fantasy Grounds. Once you learn the basics, things become much easier. The ruleset is still evolving, and suggestions for improvement are encouraged. Occasionally, we discover the limits of a virtual tabletop, which can never account for absolutely every game situation. The UI is much more streamlined than Roll20 in my opinion, and character creation is very fast once you learn how to drop links to the appropriate spaces and click a few buttons.

I really have to agree with leozelig. In fact, the character generation in DCC can be shortened to a single click if you set up a story template (and do a little tweak in one of the tables).
    SNAGnew-0938.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dr0W View Post
    I really have to agree with leozelig. In fact, the character generation in DCC can be shortened to a single click if you set up a story template (and do a little tweak in one of the tables).
    SNAGnew-0938.jpg
    Neat!
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr0W View Post
    SNAGnew-0938.jpg
    Wow. That just blew my mind. I fixed the Occupation link to point to the right table. I wonder if there is a way to turn the output into actual characters?

Thread Information