FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... Last

AD&D 2E Ruleset Tips

So, since there are so many things in FantasyGrounds that you can get lost trying to learn them all and ... well time being limited I thought I'd start a thread and post tips of various things every so often.

First tip, watch the tutorial video I made in January for most of the features on the Character sheet.

Second, the 2E ruleset reduces the window explosion by reusing the same window types. For example if you open up a Story record and then open another it will only keep the last one opened. If you want to open more than one (of anything) hold the control-key down while opening the window and you can have multiple versions opened.

Add the AD&D 2E Ruleset Documentation as a module and view it in your campaign/game directly as needed.
    Last edited by celestian; November 6th, 2023 at 19:27.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Weapon and Non-Weapon Proficiencies can be tracked in the skills tab using these fields.

The first number on the left will be updated as the character levels up, the number under the USED column is manually tracked (player/dm) of points spent.

In the actions tab, Weapons OR Powers you can clone an existing power. This is useful for when you have an offhand attack that uses a similar weapon but has different adjustments... or different ammunition or a special power.

---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

is now or will there be a way to PAR2E the way there is for 5E? or will the 5E work.

Also, suggestion for next tip: how to create new spells/monsters/character races, etc. as I have a lot of content from 2E days I want to add in and am having some issues with getting it to work drag/drop (with spells)

Quote Originally Posted by Beerbelly View Post
    is now or will there be a way to PAR2E the way there is for 5E? or will the 5E work.

Also, suggestion for next tip: how to create new spells/monsters/character races, etc. as I have a lot of content from 2E days I want to add in and am having some issues with getting it to work drag/drop (with spells)
    Author is what I use to create ref-manuals and content. All of which I do within FG. The Author project thread has a tutorial on it's use.

I do plan to put together a video for DM use of the ruleset but that's going to be a while before I can get to it. I will see if I can put together a few tips here on what I do for content importing as a DM.
    ---

Today's tips:

Readycheck, the DM can type /readycheck and press enter and when other players are connected and have selected a character they will be prompted with a "Are you ready?" menu. The DM will see a list of all the players and their response status (green ready, red, not).

NPC Names, in addition to the "Identified" NPC options for "hidden" name types you can also include hidden strings within the name by using "(DM Only Text)" at the end of a NPC name. For example "Earth Elemental (12HD)" or "Orc (Archer)" etc. The players will only see "Earth Elemental" or "Orc". This allows you to have a field to put a small note that only the DM can see in the Combat tracker. The name must be set with this before they are placed into the CT for it to be hidden.
    ---

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Today's tips:

Readycheck, the DM can type /readycheck and press enter and when other players are connected and have selected a character they will be prompted with a "Are you ready?" menu. The DM will see a list of all the players and their response status (green ready, red, not).

NPC Names, in addition to the "Identified" NPC options for "hidden" name types you can also include hidden strings within the name by using "(DM Only Text)" at the end of a NPC name. For example "Earth Elemental (12HD)" or "Orc (Archer)" etc. The players will only see "Earth Elemental" or "Orc". This allows you to have a field to put a small note that only the DM can see in the Combat tracker. The name must be set with this before they are placed into the CT for it to be hidden.
    You can't see it but I am giving my monitor a big "thumbs up" right now.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

The AD&D 2E ruleset's effect system works almost exactly like the 5e ruleset's effects with some added features. Here is one of those.

If you ever need a random number in an effect you can place a dice roll in brackets and when you drag/drop that effect or apply to a n/pc it will roll it at that moment and set the value.

So, if you wanted to apply a random wisdom penalty of 1d6 when a player is struck by a spell use the effect string "WIS: -[1d6]". When the effect is placed on the target it would roll 1d6 and the end result would be an effect on a object something like "WIS: -2"... and in this case the target's wisdom would be reduced 2 points.
    ---

Could you make a mod with all these tips in it so people can see them easily while in game?

Also, could you load an empty KIT mod up so I can see what one looks like in game > how the commands are written, etc. I have a few in books I'd like to try and create, but don't have any existing ones to compare it to.

Another difference in the 2E ruleset that some others do not have is the ability to have spell powers scale with the level of the caster (Arcane or Divine). Here is an example of the Fireball spell's damage.

• CL = Caster level. Caster level can be -, CL, CL/2, CL/3, CL/4 or CL/5. Set to - caster levels will not be used.
    • MAX = MAX amount of this value, in this case cap out at level 10 for a max of 10d6.
    • Dice = This dice for each caster level. So if caster is level 3 in this case it would be 3d6.
    • Value= This static number times the caster level. If set to 2 and caster is level 3 then it would result in 6.
    • Custom=Some powers also have random values ontop of the level calculations, place those dice here.
    • Stat=Use ability bonuses also?
    • Modifier= Apply this modifier to the result.
    • Type=The damage type, fire, lightning, slashing/etc.
    ---

does the rule set automatically set non-proficiency penalties to character and NPC sheets or do you have to apply them manually?

Thread Information