FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 13 of 17 First ... 31112131415 ... Last
    I've done the write it yourself method on some smaller projects like modules and class, weapons and non-weapon proficiencies. I went through all the completes and copied in the various weapons and non-weapon proficiencies. I added the gladiator class from complete gladiator. These projects took me several full days to do.

I decided it really isn't worth the effort. Especially since I have to correct any bugs or errors that I enter if I ever even see them. The purchased content has the benefit of being constantly being played, reviewed and bug checked by a large community and then fixed by the developer and auto-updated by Smiteworks. It saves time, headaches and screaming!

If you are the DM you are the only one that needs the PHB. It is shared with all your players when they link to your system. You can actually play the game with just the PHB. You would still need to hand enter the monsters you use and magic items you distribute. The PHB will get you the races, classes and equipment and non-weapon proficiencies. The ruleset already covers combat and the framework for everything else.

Interesting, I appreciate the information about just needing the PHB.
    This is what I'm talking about.
    If this sort of thing was clear than it would have been easier for me to deal with. I cannot stand companies misrepresenting their product.
    Which is what they're doing. Its GREAT they have all this available. Don't get me wrong. I am exceedingly happy they have this all available.
    That my players wouldn't have to purchase all the books, thats great.. I still have to purchase it in order to use the program in any way effectively.
    THAT is my problem.
    If they had been upfront with it, then I would have had no problem, lol I would have probably bought all 3 of them. Happily. But not when they fake it out like this.
    Thank you though for the information, hopefully it will help someone else.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by myrrdan View Post
    That should have been MUCH more clear in their claim of 2nd edition ruleset....
    I'm not buying players for each of our 4 FG copies, as well as DMG and monster manaul for me..
    Not for something that could have been much more clearly laid out and wasn't.
    To me it was just a nice little bait and switch.
    I'm getting my money back.
    Hi myrrdan

Can you post the link that you found misleading? There is a lot of content and a lot to understand when diving into Fantasy Grounds.

Smiteworks have a 30 day money back guarantee. There is no attempt at bait and switch going on.

Each player can access content that you share as the GM when they are connected to your session.

Usually the minimum content you would buy is either:

Players Handbook
    + Adventure

or

Players Handbook
    Monster Manual
    Dungeon Masters Guide

When you look at the home page for the site:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php
    It says it includes the 2E ruleset and in the line immediately below it lists the Data Libraries that are included and there is nothing listed for 2E
    On the Store Page for the License it lists:
    Included Rulesets: AD&D 2E, D&D 3.5E, D&D 4E, D&D 5E and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
    Library modules with D&D 3.5E open gaming content typically found in the SRD. *
    Library modules with D&D fifth edition open gaming content found in the SRD 5.
    Library modules with Pathfinder RPG open gaming content typically found in the PFSRD. *

Blog Entries
    On the Steam Website it reads
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...ntasy_Grounds/

A Note about DLC for Fantasy Grounds
    Fantasy Grounds has a wealth of DLC available as add-ons. Each of these DLC add-ons expands Fantasy Grounds to support a brand new game system or to add new adventures and supplements from your favorite game publishers and artists. SmiteWorks has negotiated license deals with several dozen different RPG Game publishers and artists, both large and small, to bring you a very large variety of gaming options. Our agreements with these publishers and artists provide royalties for every purchase made through Steam and elsewhere, so that a purchase of DLC for Fantasy Grounds is the equivalent to or better for the publisher than walking into a game store or book store and buying a physical book from the publisher. Each and every purchase is directly helping fund and grow the RPG hobby industry.
    The share that SmiteWorks retains for this helps pay our content and programming developers and helps us add support for more and more games. In many cases, the content you can buy as DLC can be built directly by you within Fantasy Grounds if you already own the material in another form. The DLC provides a convenient option for time-strapped gamers who also wish to directly support the gaming industry.

I purchased it through steam. Theres no real explanation of what 'ruleset' means. At least not easily seen. I watched the videos on steam. I knew you had to load modules to get the data & everything. The face that the 2nd edition ruleset had no modules at all isn't explained clearly. At least not on steam.
    I find it ridiculous that you have to buy the program and then buy other stuff to actually make it effective.
    its ridiculous. Explain it however you want, legally whatever, its ridiculous. I understand everyone needs to make money and everything.
    Obviously wayyy more people are happy with them and their product so.

Blog Entries
    Hi again - I posted some stuff from the Steam home page.

There is a lot to work thru and if you have any suggestions on how to word it better please do post them.

I know on Steam you only get a 2 hour window (or similar) to do a refund.
    If you buy it from the store here you can test it out for 30 days and see if it is the right product for you or not.

Either way - I hope you get your 2E game up and running by whatever means.

Thanks, we will, we'll just have to do the old paper way lol
    I see a lot of great work here so I'm mostly just disappointed I can't use it in my games.

I was excited as usual for the XMas sale. I thought I’d finally buy a big bundle of 2E. I immediately bought PHB/DMG/MM plus Reptile when available but was gonna get more later when either went to use or XMas sale.

Little did I know it would produce more DLC in a condensed time than anything I saw before. Which is great... and sets up a steep purchase curve for someone who wants to get the discounted price. Nothing stops me from just buying the two modules I know I want and blowing off rest (or entering myself - I have every single item in FG store still in physical copy on my shelf and I have 25% of them currently in electronic pdf form as well. Some like ToEE, I have 2 physical of T1-4, one of T1 and one each of those in pdf lol (not to mention the computer game hehe))

If it was over 2+ years sure. But at once, I can’t. I suggested in an email perhaps a Core set, including ToM (~$70 which may be too low and too little books - so I suggest you add the core books to each of the following bundles) then a Greyhawk/Unspecified (like original Ravenloft) for something in area of $110 + ~70 for core. Forgotten realms books were similar and last category could be all e “Complete book of” stuff that is NOT campaign world specific - otherwise it should go in that bundle instead. These also all roughly were 105-140$ from MEMORY my notes were on a pad at work.

I have no interest in the FR modules. I might buy one or two individually but definitely not as a set.

I’d buy core (only missing ToM) plus Greyhawk adventures today if That bundle existed (Even though I suspect G1-3 will be added again as Against the Giants for the better version and charge 2x due to bundle)

The Complete books, I would have to consider if worth it - I am sure the class ones are useful and have crunch to be able to paste from in play but not so sure the race ones had any module versus READING book value. I don’t need or like FG modules for reading only. Heck, I’d even back moving the class modules to core set if were full of crunch for FG vs reading stuff. I’d have to check my shelf for complete book of elves, my memory is it was an incredibly useful well written book encyclopedia on getting into role playing Elves but do not recall much that was usable as an FG module.

Right now, already owning 3 of the $30 books and a $10 module with both the bundle price and XMas sale 25% off, it’s is nearly 200 more to buy bundle. If I didn’t have the Marian books it would be definitely over 200 and probably well over $300 without steam sale... all in what, a year or so?

. Great stuff! And bad in a way due to money constraints lol.

So far, I just bought 4 Savage Worlds (NE/Supers modules) and completed my Savage Worlds bundle again (oddly, the graphic and prevented module for rock and hard place are a considerably larger portion of the price than the module itself. Hopefully not a new trend or I stop that bundle too. I haven’t run any of them and bought to support work I loved and hoped to run someday. But loving less that for one ADVENTURE module o needed to buy 2 map packs, 2Graphic/token packs, 1-2 pregen packs all labeled as part of “A stone and a he’d place” yeesh that’s a lot of DLC for a DLC itself!

I’m bummed I’m spending more of my gaming buck elsewhere than FG bundles For first time this year.

Rant off.

(I’ll prob still buy Temple of Elemental Evil before end of sale once I officially decide I’ll never get bundle going forward - if I buy all the big ticket items, I’m less inclined to go for bundle pricing on items I was meh on just for the reduced price. Once I buy ToEE, after all the other $30s already bought, I become a picker vs bundled.

Thread Information