5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Help with Extension Multiple RuleSet Support

I am trying to support multiple rulesets with one of my extensions. I've looked at the various documentation available and searched the forums but I can't find what I need.

The issue I am currently observing boils down to, some windowclasses having different names in the rulesets.
    For example, a windowclass might have this definition in one ruleset:
    <windowclass name="char_skill">

But the corresponding windowclass in another ruleset might have a this definition:
    <windowclass name="charsheet_skills">

If I use the merge="join" parameter in my extension's windowclass override a fatal error is thrown when the xml parser comes across my extension's windowclass for which there is no ruleset definition to "merge" to.

What I need to do is be able to conditionally <includefile…> by ruleset. If the user is playing with the 3.5E ruleset the extension.xml file would include files only appropriate to that ruleset, and ignore those <includefile> definitions for other supported rulesets.

I know other developers must have run across this issue. Having a different .ext file for each supported ruleset is not really very palatable !
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    I have no idea, but I know Dulux does it with his DOE extensions. Until someone pops in with more info, I suggest you look at DOE Base and another one (perhaps DOE Locations) to see how he has handled this in the past.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I have no idea, but I know Dulux does it with his DOE extensions. Until someone pops in with more info, I suggest you look at DOE Base and another one (perhaps DOE Locations) to see how he has handled this in the past.
    The DOE's use new windowclasses - as they add new windows (sounds, locations, alignment graph, etc.).

@Minty23185Fresh - I don't think you can do what you want. The FG mechanism of controlling what extension functionality is loaded is provided by selecting the extension you want to load.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I suggest you look at DOE Base and another one (perhaps DOE Locations) to see how he has handled this in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The DOE's use new windowclasses - as they add new windows (sounds, locations, alignment graph, etc.).

@Minty23185Fresh - I don't think you can do what you want. The FG mechanism of controlling what extension functionality is loaded is provided by selecting the extension you want to load.
    Thank you LordEntrails, as Trenloe points out and somewhat as I expected with dulux oz’s epoch DOE extension set I believe he adds functionality. I on the other hand am trying to change functionality in multiple rulesets in similarly behaving code that has different naming conventions.

In the past I have been fortunate enough to be able to support multiple rulesets because I was able to override code in the CoreRPG ruleset (Field Filters and Local Dice Tower Extensions). The other rulesets inherited the functionality and so it worked in them too.

With the new functionality I am trying to add to my LDTE I’m not so fortunate. The functionality I am trying to override does not exist in the CoreRPG, but does exist in 3.5E/PFRPG and in 5E but in windowclasses with different names. As Trenloe points out there does not appear to be a way to direct the code parser to load different extension code based on ruleset.

I still have one avenue to explore: maybe I can embed my changes wholly within the templates employed by the windowclasses. I think one can have “vestigial” templates: defined code that is never used. I would put my code in a template that overrides the 3.5E template and in a template that overrides the 5E code. Then load both in my extension. If the 5E ruleset is loaded the 5E template would be overridden by my 5E extension template and my 3.5E template would just be “vestigial”. Visa versa if the 3.5E ruleset is loaded.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; April 17th, 2019 at 02:58. Reason: typos

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    ...I still have one avenue to explore: maybe I can embed my changes wholly within the templates...
    This is possibly a solution, it looks like it might work, but at what cost?

One thing I abhor is excess copied code (it bloats the project and increases maintenance difficulty). I avoid copying ruleset code whenever possible. Because of templates, nested within templates, nested within templates, I would have to have copies of all those nested templates in my extension so that all the references resolve. To me this is pretty much unacceptable.

I find it more agreeable to try to maintain separate extensions (by ruleset) than have all that copied code to maintain. Bah!

I am new to Fantasy Grounds, but if you are calling your code from within an existing window can you use 'self.getClass()' to get the name of the windowclass? Otherwise, can you dynamically build your xml file that you want to include with the current ruleset information passed in to it. I'm pretty certain you could make a Lua script that builds a xml file. That way in your code you would just need to have the name of the xml file that the Lua script builds dynamically and have the Lua script run onInit. I don't know for certain as I said I'm new to FG but that is how I would do it in VB.net.

Blog Entries
    Grifron, interesting, outside-the-box idea. I like it.
    I don’t believe one could build an XML file and have it work. To the best of my knowledge there is no real file I/O capability other that writing to the db.xml and that is accomplished through the internal DB routines. Not through actualfile I/O. And, all XML is preparsed at start up, effectively eliminating the possibility of late binding. So even if you could write it I don’t believe you could get it parsed and interpreted.
    However, all that aside, one could dynamically build the character sheet based on the ruleset. Populating a skeletal windowclass with controls. One might have to start with controls from the CoreRPG templates and layer properties and supporting lua script until you had the desired windowclass construct.
    I might attempt this with something simple like say the 5e spell editor or weapon editor dialogs, but not with the character sheet.
    As with the other solution(s) I’ve considered, I think the work and code necessary to effect this is far beyond the efforts I want to expend. I’ll go with maintaining separate extensions for the rulesets.
    Thanks for your insight. It made me rethink the solutions available to me.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

What about this? You could add something like the below code to your .lua file that you include. You would just have to figure out which control sets the Merge or create your own function for setting the Merge in the windowcontrol.

function setMergeByRuleset(control) --I don't know which control can set the merge
    local rset = User.getRulesetName()
    if rset = "5E" then
    --set the merge here for 5E
    control.setMerge("join") --you might have to create this function yourself
    elseif rset = "4E" then
    --set the merge here for 4E
    --no merge maybe, so no code
    else
    --no code for unknown ruleset
    end
    end

EDIT: Here is the other way I was talking about. Don't know if this will work, I did not test it. The escape characters probably need to be changed. But this could probably just be added to your .lua file.

function writeToFile(filename,contents)
    local fh = assert(io.open(filename, "wb"))
    fh:write(contents)
    fh:flush()
    fh:close()
    end

function buildWindowClass()
    local contents = "<?xml version="/""1.0"/"" encoding="/""iso-8859-1"/""?><windowclass name="/""test"/""></windowclass> <root> </root>"
    local rset = User.getRulesetName()

if rset = "5E" then
    contents = "<?xml version="/""1.0"/"" encoding="/""iso-8859-1"/""?><windowclass name="/""5Etest"/""></windowclass> <root> </root>"
    elseif rset = "4E"
    contents = "<?xml version="/""1.0"/"" encoding="/""iso-8859-1"/""?><windowclass name="/""4Etest"/""></windowclass> <root> </root>"
    end
    writeToFile("xml/testxml.xml",contents)

end
    Last edited by Grifron; April 18th, 2019 at 15:40.

1) All the FG GUI files are loaded when the ruleset is loaded (first step of loading the campaign) - this applies for base windowclass etc. definitions and any merging in layered rulesets or extensions.
    2) FG XML files (GUI, windows, controls, templates, etc.) are static, you can't generate them through code in FG.

The only options at runtime that you have in LUA are to create controls in a windowclass (each time the windowinstance is initialized): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdo...#createControl

Or change (with various set commands) or destroy (remove) an already present control: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/windowcontrol.xcp

@Minty23185Fresh as you say, an approach like this will mean much more work as there'll need to be very specific LUA code for some rulesets, which will need to be manually worked out/created by reviewing the XML. Much, much more work to create and maintain than creating multiple extensions.
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 18th, 2019 at 15:41.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Actually, I think you may be dismissing the DOEs in your solution-search too quickly - yes, the DOEs do add new functionality/windows, but I too ran into the "duel name problem" Minty is grappling with - and solved it (obviously).

I beleive you'll find what you're looking for when you consider the DOE:Location's "shop" function, in particular where certain Rulesets don't actually use money (the Numer... Ruleset, for example). You'll also see something similar around the Savage World Ruleset and the DOE:Locations's shopping function as well, where the "Equipment" pages of SW are actually 4 differnet page definitions (with different names), and so I had to be able to differentiate between them depending upon the End-User's actions.

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz