5E Character Create Playlist
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlemarch View Post
    Using the 'Character Wizard', using Noble background, it adds equipment and money - the part that I'm interested in is "and a purse containing 25 gp".
    If I create a character without using the 'Charcater Wizard' and add the Noble background, the equipment and money isn't added (hopefully not a random ext on my part).

Is this the expected behavior or something that is in the works to fix?
    Expected behavior for drag and drop. Equipment is not automatically added with drag and drop, only in the Character Wizard, and currently only for official sources.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlemarch View Post
    First off, thank you Supperteddy57!

Using the 'Character Wizard', using Noble background, it adds equipment and money - the part that I'm interested in is "and a purse containing 25 gp".
    If I create a character without using the 'Charcater Wizard' and add the Noble background, the equipment and money isn't added (hopefully not a random ext on my part).

Is this the expected behavior or something that is in the works to fix?

I ask because I'm trying to create a few custom races (from Adventures in Middle-Earth) that contain bonus equipment.
    I'm hoping that I don't have to create a specific, separate race background for each; although I did see that it appears that you can add multiple backgrounds.
    Is there a way to 'include' a background link embedded in the Race description that processes automagically?

And just to make it interesting, what I'd really like is to have it work with "and a purse containing 3d6 gp".

So, is this just going to remain a manual process (text in the race dialog) or is there hope? :-)
    The equipment portions unfortunately are hard coded. You could use the purchase equipment to 'buy' your equipment and add the coins to the character sheet after the wizard is finished. There also may be slight differences from drag 'n drop and the wizard, but generally try to stay in sync with it. You can check out the code for the wizard by unpacking the 5e ruleset and see what is involved with the code to get an idea of how it parses and what is hard coded and what is not.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Thanks Superteddy57 (and LordEntrails), I'll take a look at the code. (and apologies for misspelling your handle incorrectly in my last post - lol)

Another question (to anyone) if I may as I get used to FG; why are Racial Traits embedded in Races instead of having their own section/area like Feats? I had thought that I'd just be able to go through and create all the traits separately and then just drag the appropriate ones as I created each Race. Yes, I understand that I can create it once under a Race in the 'Other' tab, open it and then drag & drop as desired. This current state offends my programming OO reuse sensibilities. :-(

Bill
    FG:Classic/Unity Ultimate License Holder

Because they are usually unique to that race. There are hundreds of possible variations on what skills you might have alone and having a feat for each one would be silly.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hello. Do you mind sharing where you got these strings? Is it try&error? Or hunt through the internet from various sources?

For me personally, Language feats work only the second one. Try as I may, I can't make any choice prompt for Character Wizard...

Update: It worked when I framed it like this "You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choice."
    Last edited by Blangas; January 2nd, 2023 at 16:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Blangas View Post
    Hello. Do you mind sharing where you got these strings? Is it try&error? Or hunt through the internet from various sources?

For me personally, Language feats work only the second one. Try as I may, I can't make any choice prompt for Character Wizard...
    Welcome to FGU.

Mattekure went through the ruleset code to extract the details in the first post. Since he did this I'm sure some of it will have changed as things have been updated in the ruleset code.

The character wizard isn't very good at picking up homebrewed stuff so I'd suggest that you use drag and drop for that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

That is correct, homebrew is a tad tough for the feature. Many things had to be hard coded due to the wording on many descriptions don't follow a pattern. I do have a refactor of the foundation of the feature coming soon, but this still is not a huge boon to homebrew. It does help as its the first phase of planned changes that will eventually make it easier for homebrew to be included.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by Blangas View Post

Update: It worked when I framed it like this "You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choice."
    Zacchaeus is exactly right. I extracted the 5e ruleset as it was at the time and went through every section of code that parsed those values to see what it was looking for. The matching almost certainly has been tweaked since then but this list is largely still accurate.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

I could be spoiled by coding languages and big software documentation.
    But I just wondering why nobody keeps documentation with those Strings. Are there some big obstacles to doing that? Because I reason, if mattekure could go through code to find all of them, it shouldn't be more difficult to keep some list of them as it expands or change.
    Because that's where comes major frustration for me as new at FG... Can you imagine if you would like to learn some coding language, and there would not be clear documentation of what syntax exists in it?..

To whomever is willing to educate,

As a new coder in the LUA-scape and only being vaguely familiar with XML, I am puzzled by something. Why is it that with Background Items, Class Features, and Racial Traits the strings are parsed individually? I would have thought that calling a single parser that returned the values regardless of source would have been easier and more flexible in the long run. Any clarification on why this is not the method used would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
    Xy

Thread Information