5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

LOOKING FOR PLAYERS FOR LONG TERM CAMPAIGN, old skool DnD using 5e, GMT-5

I am looking for replacement players (5e) that know and enjoy classic DnD roleplaying.
    If you played D&D in the early years, you remember things like conditions (blindness, poison, etc)
    didn't 'wear off' in just a few rounds.

The campaign is almost 3 years old and currently has 11 players. Attrition is rather
    high as I don't baby you, I try to give you a classic DnD experience.
    Understand, this is a campaign that suffers a 95% attrition rate. Real life events can get involved, as
    does players personality disputes. Cheating is not tolerated, as is rule exploiting.
    But the 5% that do stay are some of the best players you could ask for.

We have a unique type of campaign that I refer to as 'Player participation'. Party organization
    is handled by the players and when they have gathered a group, I meet with them with the server.

Characters start at first level and only use the PHB for class/race selection, though we do not use
    Sorcs, Warlocks or Monks. Dragonborn and Tieflings are likewise not used.
    The timeline for the campaign begins in 901 D.R. (Dale Reckoning)

This is a classic style DnD campaign. My intent is to provide game sessions for years to come.
    My last campaign was in Dungeons and Dragons Online and lasted 6 years.

If you want to laugh and have a good time in good old fashioned DnD, contact me.
    You can take a look at our FG Group listings and read our various forum threads at

From the FG Forum Main Page...…..Forums---->Community------>Groups
    Then look for the group "THAC0 Tavern".
    Stop in and take a look around.
    Last edited by Intruder; December 3rd, 2019 at 00:13.

interested...
    Yankee
    Boston, MA

Discord: Yankeee#5627
    Google Hangouts: [email protected]

Love it! 5E is way too nerfed. Please say you have replaced the death rolls with something that brings back actual risk.

Any info on days and times? If schedules line up I would be very interested.

When do you run this game? It reminds me of the good(bad) old days I first started DMing about 83

I can answer some of these questions.

Death saving throws are handled per standard 5e rules. That hasn't prevented us from dying (alot).

This game is very open. Players bid on an adventure (I wanna storm the caves of eternal sandwich bread, etc) and give a night they want to play (all nights except Tues and Thurs are open). Standard times are 7-10pm EST. If enough people sign up for that adventure at that time by the deadline, you're good to go.

The biggest risk comes from the fact that nothing is scaled to the party level. I'll give an example from one adventure I was on a while back.
    Our group was skipping through the forest like a bunch of elves on too many shrooms (we weren't all elves nor did we have any shrooms, but that didn't stop us). We decided to bed down for the night. Wizzy boy popped a tiny hut for us to sleep in. During watch, we heard a disturbance above us. Looking up, our party of 6th or 7th level wonder children spotted a huge ancient blue dragon. Unfortunately, the dragon had also spotted our hut. We were discussing our options when the dragon decided we'd look better on fire. It's lightning breath of 50 billion damage dropped on our hut. Looking through the rules quickly, we argued the hut protected us from magical effects and outside temps. In later research, we found out that it isn't supposed to stop dragon breath. So we were fine but the forest around us was an inferno. The fire was still raging as the hut was about to time out. We couldn't cast another hut until the first one timed out and the casting time was going to be an issue. The wizard made several difficult checks to time the casting properly and the new hut appeared the instant the old one disappeared.

To this day, our good fortune in the forest is marked by a single area of green surrounded by the charred remains of a major fire. And contained within that small green patch are five small brown patches. Thank goodness for prestidigitation.

Also, never play catch with stone giants.

Excellent recap Nasalt!
    Game sessions, because of RL requirements for me, are 7-10pm EST.
    Players do the job of banging together the party composition.
    When at least (4) players agree to a single day, any day except Tues or Thurs,
    the server will be up and waiting at 7.

There are no 'roles' to fill. You are free to play the class you prefer, except for Warlock, Sorcerer and Monk.

Things to consider in this campaign.....
    Monsters are NOT dumb unless specifically described as such in the MM.
    The Monster Manual is NOT Reality. It is a record of the sum of observations made by adventurers.
    The Campaign IS reality. That means monsters MAY be slightly different that expected.
    Conditions do NOT wear off, unless specifically intended by the DM.
    If you are blinded, paralyzed or poisoned, you will remain so unless someone has access to
    Lesser/Greater Restoration. (and we all know who they are)
    Nothing scales to your level. Recon is VERY important.
    Adventure difficulty is measured in 'Tiers". A Tier 1 Adventure will be designed for a party of 4-6,
    at a level from 1 to 5. You will not know how difficult an adventure is until you experience it.
    All adventures are drawn from the "Dungeon Magazine" collection from the '80s and 90's.
    I port these adventures into FG, alter to taste and make them work.

Sorry bout the wall of text but we have been going now for 2 years and I expect to provide adventures for
    a number of years to come.

PM me. There are 4 players in-processing now. If you're looking for laughs, fun as well as anxiety and edge-of-your-seat tension,
    I think we can provide.

p.s. Be warned.....19 out of 20 players will not like this and leave. That is OK because the 5% that is left will be great players to
    adventure with.

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder View Post
    I am looking for replacement players (5e) that know and enjoy classic DnD roleplaying.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...php?groupid=95
    Although I'm new to FG, I'm an old school 1st and 2nd edition player who has been playing 5th edition rules for about 6 months now. I love the idea of mixing 5th edition rules (simplified tables and charts) with old school D&D. Sign me up! I'm 40 years old and currently an unemployed software engineer due to having a bad hip replacement. So, I can play anytime. I just need to figure out how to use the FG software, but that shouldn't be too hard. Are you allowing Feats as defined the in PHB 5e for human chars and instead of attribute points when leveling?

Greetings,

Intruder your inbox is full so I couldn't send you a PM. Perhaps that's intentional? =) Anyway, I've been checking on your game from time to time to see if you have any openings. Looks like you currently do.

I've played D&D since 1978 off and on. I've been playing via Fantasy Grounds for a few years due to the lack of local options which meet my schedule. Played with a West Marches campaign for over a year until it died out. Love the scheduling options and your campaign seems to be similar.

I started reading the group thread to get a feel for what was going on but there's a lot of reading there! So if you don't mind a few questions or maybe giving me a quick synopsis I'd be grateful. Answers won't deter my interest just want the basics.

1) Do characters still start out as level 0 commoners?

2) Are race selections still restricted to Human, Elf, and Dwarf? And are any variants allowed such as variant human and half-elf?

3) Is PHB still the only source for character creation?

4) Is there any other information you feel I should have going in?

Thanks

P.S. The link in your first post on this thread is invalid

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlGraye View Post
    P.S. The link in your first post on this thread is invalid
    I thinks its this one > THAC0 Tavern
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Aye I got to it through Intruder's profile and have had it bookmarked for awhile. Figured that's where he was trying to direct people.

Thread Information