DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How to Use DOE: Sound Extension to trigger Sounds in Syrinscape on a Mac

I had a request, so below are the steps I took to get FG and DOE Sound Extension to work with Syrinscape in Wine to be able to trigger sounds, but I don’t go through how to use DOE Sound Extension and Syrinscape.

It takes a little work, but is not too difficult and will be worth it for the added sound effects. This would require you starting with a fresh install of FG, though you could move your existing campaign data over to this new location.

I am running macOS 10.13.6 - High Sierra, with Wine 4.0 Stable, FG from Windows installer and Syrinscape Fantasy player from Windows installer. I don’t have a Syrinscape subscription, so I was just using the free sounds to test this theory out.

Downloading the software

Wine
    Go here: https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html
    Get: Installer for "Wine Stable" 4.0

Fantasy Grounds
    Go to FG site and Download the Windows installer

Syrinscape
    Go to Syrinscape and download the Windows installer

Installing FG and Syrinscape in Wine
    After installing Wine go into you applications folder and double click on Wine Stable application. You’ll see a terminal window come up with a welcome to Wine message. Now in this window type winefile and hit return.

You’ll see some text scroll and then you’ll see a small window popup saying that wine is being updated. After about 10 seconds or so you’ll see the wine file manger window appear.

Now in the Wine file manager navigate to your download folder and look for the FG installer you just downloaded and double click on it and go through the routine install.

Now do the same for the Syrinscape installer.

Bonus: You can also use this same technique to install the GMW Campaign Toolkit - A Theme Builder for Fantasy Grounds that is on the FG’s forum.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...antasy-Grounds

Showing the Wine folder and making shortcuts
    In the Finder go to your user it will have your name with the little house icon in the sidebar of the finder and perform the following CMD + SHIFT + .

That will show the the Wine folder which is normally hidden, so look for a folder called .wine it should appear faded. Inside this folder you’ll see a folder called drive_c and in there is user > “your username” > Application Data > Fantasy Grounds.

Here is where you could copy over all your data from your previous version. Your can just drag this folder over to your sidebar and make a shortcut to it.

Also in the drive_c folder in Program files you see the folder for FG and Syrinscape. Go inside of each one of these folders and right click on the .exe files and pick get info. Under open with click on the drop down and pick wine stable. Now right click on each of these and create an alias and drag them to the applications folder. Now when you want to start these programs you can just click on them and they’ll launch.

Now click on FG and Syrinscape alias you made and launch the programs. Following the instructions for using the DOE Sound Extension and Syrinscape to enable 3rd party app integration and enjoy.

Solved.
    Last edited by alfarobl; April 7th, 2019 at 23:21.

Did you install the windows version of Syrinscape in Wine as well. Did you turn on the sound option on in FG?

It works! Thank you. I don't know what was wrong I did another install from scratch and this time it worked. I used the .pkg install before and now I used brew install. But could be that I had some remains from an old install or crossover I did cleanup everything before.
    Last edited by alfarobl; April 7th, 2019 at 13:26.

Last question on how do you use it... How do you control audio sources now?
    Last edited by alfarobl; April 7th, 2019 at 23:22.

Glad that it worked. I haven’t had a chance to look into that step yet. I have soundsiphon which is similar to loop back, but a lot cheaper. With holiday sale I got it for $12 when loopback was $100. I’ll post here if I figure out how to patch the audio through, as I would need to pass it through discord for my game.

I found that Syrinscape on wine gets cpu too high. Going back to unity for me.
    Last edited by alfarobl; April 7th, 2019 at 23:20.

Wow, that work around is way over my head. I'd bugger everything up doing that. I have a similar problem. I just bought the Syrinscape FG Sound Links extension by John Waite and purchased a SuperSyrin subscription. I hear all sounds when using the Syrinscape Online Player. The extension is installed and the module is loaded and available in FG. I see all the 22k Syrinscape sounds but I cannot hear any when I hit the play button. Nada. I wonder if anyone knows a work around to this. Seems similar to the above problem. I'm running an up to date Mac (not Catalina) and using Chrome as my browser. FG is fully updated. Thanks and appreciate any suggestions.
    TheEldritchPress.com
    Editions 1st-5th since '79
    Running on a Mac. Yup, I'm one of those guys

Quote Originally Posted by Graylock View Post
    Wow, that work around is way over my head. I'd bugger everything up doing that. I have a similar problem. I just bought the Syrinscape FG Sound Links extension by John Waite and purchased a SuperSyrin subscription. I hear all sounds when using the Syrinscape Online Player. The extension is installed and the module is loaded and available in FG. I see all the 22k Syrinscape sounds but I cannot hear any when I hit the play button. Nada. I wonder if anyone knows a work around to this. Seems similar to the above problem. I'm running an up to date Mac (not Catalina) and using Chrome as my browser. FG is fully updated. Thanks and appreciate any suggestions.
    If you have an issue with a specific extension then I recommend you post in the thread for that extension/product. In this case: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Links-module
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks, I’ll get it posted over there
    TheEldritchPress.com
    Editions 1st-5th since '79
    Running on a Mac. Yup, I'm one of those guys

Thread Information