5E Character Create Playlist

DB.getValue() parameter double-check

[RESOLVED]

I see in the 5E addCharRef code the line:

for _,v in pairs(aCharClassNodes) do
    local _,sExistingClassPath = DB.getValue(v, "shortcut", "", "");

I am not sure what the 2nd "" stands for. On the API page it only mentions 3 arguments.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/DB.xcp#getValue

I understand extras in Lua are "ignored", but checking in case it is because of an enhancement to the API that didn't make the web page.
    Last edited by Varsuuk; March 31st, 2019 at 03:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    I see in the 5E addCharRef code the line:

for _,v in pairs(aCharClassNodes) do
    local _,sExistingClassPath = DB.getValue(v, "shortcut", "", "");

I am not sure what the 2nd "" stands for. On the API page it only mentions 3 arguments.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/DB.xcp#getValue

I understand extras in Lua are "ignored", but checking in case it is because of an enhancement to the API that didn't make the web page.
    Shortcut contains a "class" and "record" values.

local sClass, sRecord = DB.getValue(node, "shortcut", "", "");

DB.setValue(nodeClass, "shortcut", "windowreference", sClass, sRecord);

sClass = "item" or "charsheet" or "npc".
    sRecord="item.id-00001" or "charsheet.id-00312"
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I GET it now. I read the "function getValue( sourcenode, [subpath], [default] )" and would have expected: "function getValue( sourcenode, [subpath], [default, ...] )" or some symbology to indicate multiple defaults.
    I knew it returned two values for this method (I print these generally to find out) but it never occurred to me that the it was for multiple "defaults" to return - which of course makes sense

The key, of course, that I missed being the "(s)"
    default (...) [optional] The value(s) to be returned if getValue fails. (node does not exist; or non-value node)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    I GET it now. I read the "function getValue( sourcenode, [subpath], [default] )" and would have expected: "function getValue( sourcenode, [subpath], [default, ...] )" or some symbology to indicate multiple defaults.
    I knew it returned two values for this method (I print these generally to find out) but it never occurred to me that the it was for multiple "defaults" to return - which of course makes sense

The key, of course, that I missed being the "(s)"
    default (...) [optional] The value(s) to be returned if getValue fails. (node does not exist; or non-value node)

Thanks
    Ah, yeah, the bits on the end set it's defaults if it's nil. That's why I almost ALWAYS use DB.getValue(node,"something","default") and never node.name.getValue(). I almost always want something back even if it's my default.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information