5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Oh nice. Thank you. I'll look for it. That's really nifty :P

Am I assuming correctly that the only folder that needs to be backed up is the one accessed from the top-right of the Launcher screen (see screenshot below)? Thanks!

FG Data Folder - can delete.jpg

Yes, all of your session data is stored in the "campaigns" folder.

Also, if you added any community modules, community extensions, community rulesets, or any custom token files; those are stored in their respective folders.

To be safe, I just back up the whole folder.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks!

MoonWizard,

In some preparation for FGU, I also wanted to back up my campaign. I have a 15 terabyte storage drive attached to my computer. Should I copy the entire game files there or just campaign, extensions and mods?

Like the man said:

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    To be safe, I just back up the whole folder.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So I have a question about the cloud server. Is it just a "No no" to work with it in real-time, for running campaigns and building them, or should we not use it as a backup location either. I ask because I am fortunate that at my job I have hours during the day that I can work on stuff here. So if when I am finished could I then copy it over to my google drive. Then when I get home recopy it to the laptop and keep working. Then repeat the process in reverse when I head back to the office.

Short question: Are the could based services discouraged as back up locations also or just as the working location for the files?

No FG data is stored in the cloud. The "cloud" campaign option in FG Unity is just for connection management - to get around port forwarding issues it servers as a proxy for player to GM connections.
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 21st, 2020 at 19:49.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
    So I have a question about the cloud server. Is it just a "No no" to work with it in real-time, for running campaigns and building them, or should we not use it as a backup location either. I ask because I am fortunate that at my job I have hours during the day that I can work on stuff here. So if when I am finished could I then copy it over to my google drive. Then when I get home recopy it to the laptop and keep working. Then repeat the process in reverse when I head back to the office.

Short question: Are the could based services discouraged as back up locations also or just as the working location for the files?
    You can backup FG Data to cloud locations, no problem. The issues arise when both FG and the cloud service are trying to write/sync the files there at the same time, which can cause (and has on several reported occasions caused) data corruption. That's why you don't want your live, working FG Data location to live on a cloud drive (like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc). I copy my FG Data to a cloud location to move it around like you described all the time.
    Last edited by notrealdan; January 21st, 2020 at 19:40. Reason: Typos

Perfect thank you. I a little bit forgetful and relying on a USB drive to go back and forth I am sure would cause and issue at some point.

Thread Information