DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

DR and Weapon Enhancement Bonus

I'm trying to help my group figure out how to create certain weapons and actions correctly for a Pathfinder 1E game, but I've run into a bit of a wall as I'm still new at this and was hoping someone would be able to help.

1. I'd like to create a were creature for a PC to fight. How do I represent DR 5/silver? Can this be done for PCs? Can this be done for NPCs? Can this be done for Monsters? (Whats the difference?)
    2. The PC is a fighter wielding a +3 steel sword. How can the ability to overcome damage reduction based on the enhancement bonus be represented?
    3. How do I create the item so that the action is automatically set up correctly when given to a player?

I've tried reading the PDF, but that seems more 5E focused. I've tried reading the User Guides on the wiki, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

I've created a local test campaign that is currently empty so I can test it all in isolation.

There's a couple of things to look at here.

Firstly - any DR is handled via the DR effect applied to an actor in the combat tracker. Info on that here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ects#Modifiers

1) If the DR 5/silver text is in the correct place on the NPC record ("SQ" entry in the "Defense" section), when you add that NPC to the combat tracker the correct effect should be parsed and created in the combat tracker effects for that creature. Have a look at the "Lycanthrope, Werewolf (Hybrid Form)" NPC in the PFRPG Bestiary (SRD) module that comes with FG.

There's no difference in terms of the data for NPCs or Monsters.

PCs are a little bit difference, defensive qualities aren't parsed when a PC is added to the combat tracker - you'll need to apply effects manually once the PC is in the combat tracker. This usually isn't an issue as PCs usually stay in the combat tracker.

2 and 3) There's nothing that applies a material type to a magical weapon for bypassing DR. You can add cold iron and silver to the "Damage Type" section of the item before it is added to the PC sheet, or can add the damage types to the weapon entry in the actions tab after it is added to the PC sheet - comma separate multiple damage types.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So if I am reading it right, it should look like this? (See attached images)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Assuming all of those damage types for the attacks are correct, then it looks OK.

Oly one way to be sure - try some damage actions and see what's reported in the chat window.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I originally had a syntax error with my effect before taking the screenshot.

Applying DR 2/silver did not work.

Applying DR: 2 silver does work.

Everything else worked as expected. Thanks Trenloe!

PS.
    Anyone looking for damage types can find them here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ects#Modifiers

Also, wondering if have the statements updated to "or" because "and" doesn't work from what I've tested?
    Last edited by revanmaster; August 9th, 2020 at 07:48. Reason: tested more, and found "or"statement works

Quote Originally Posted by revanmaster View Post
    Also, wondering if have the statements updated to "or" because "and" doesn't work from what I've tested?
    What do you mean? Normally both "and" and "or" should work (by the way, "and" means that you need all listed damage types to overcome that DR it is not the same as "or" because your answer reads a bit like that )

I was staring at this code too long, but what I mean is from what I understand there aren't any monsters that need a "and", instead "or" in the bestiary like for example I've come across vampires(not sure since they are a CR 9, and makes less sense than a Balor having both good, and cold iron). and it's code is saying it needs both silver and magic.

If everyone is to believe on vampires they are both, but +3 weapon or +1 mithral should overcome the DR for both.

Also, it seems that golems have been fixed because I remembered them not taking damage from an adamantine sword for a few months back.

I'm editing this over time, but it seems like I'm DMing for people that think they should be bypassing a vampires DR if paizo's are different from 3.5e hence why I'm pointing this out, but I'm also looking at this as it seems that a +3 weapon is supposed to act as silver as well for bypassing, but that makes this seems like the code may need to account for +2> as well
    Last edited by revanmaster; August 9th, 2020 at 18:05.

I'm also saw this thread that was kind of old, and trying to rationalize stuff to figure if something it broken, or not, and to figure out if I'm getting misinformation. Since 3.5e was more domain, and being sold on pathfinder 1e for a group to run being "completely different" and remember DR, and such. Though I'm starting to see the same stuff from both in a lot of areas.

Quote Originally Posted by willrune View Post
    I originally had a syntax error with my effect before taking the screenshot.

Applying DR 2/silver did not work.

Applying DR: 2 silver does work.

Everything else worked as expected. Thanks Trenloe!

PS.
    Anyone looking for damage types can find them here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ects#Modifiers
    Try in combat tracker
    DR: 2/silver
    In an NPC SQ Block before import into the combat tracker
    DR 2/silver
    Last edited by dellanx; August 10th, 2020 at 10:36.

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

Thread Information