5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Here's another attempt. Layered in the second sqeaky soundbite you had linked.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much! Would it be easy to do to lower the volume of the voice so it's almost hidden or disguised? And maybe drop a second layer of squeak with a time offset?

Don't hesitate to say no. I installed Audacity and I think this might be something I can learn to do myself. Just not sure yet

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Google Cakewalk by Bandlab and download the new version of Cakewalk/Sonar. I have been using it for years and prob the best out there. There is a learning curve, but I am always available... A good audio interface and mic are important, but not necessary. I built a soundproof room in my home for this...overkill! hahaha

I enjoy this...never a problem!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Very nice, Thanks! I have to learn how to do that

I think I will try to use it tonight with our game.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Awesome. Let me know how it works out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mghauber View Post
    Will do

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mghauber View Post
    So failed on my part. We use Discord for sound and I did not have VMB set up to send the sound to Discord. I'll play with that so that we will be ready next week.

So, I see you mention Cakewalk versus Audacity. Since I'm just starting with sounds, how is Cakewalk for new users? Since I know virtually nothing, is Cakewalk going to be too technical to learn? Since they are both free and both seem to be well supported and capable, why chose one over the other?

I suggested Cakewalk based on my own preference. At heart, all DAWs do the same basic things... record wav files to multiple tracks, allow manipulation and non-destructive editing, allow processing with various effects, etc, etc. The main difference between Audacity and DAWs such as Cakewalk, Pro-Tools, Cubase... is control over MIDI (musical instrument digital interface) and some of the virtual instruments available. Beyond the musical aspect, MIDI enables many of the on-screen controls to be manipulated by control surfaces, which frees you from the mouse. Again, not a deal breaker unless its something you use every day. I am a musician, so obviously, I tend to lean more toward that aspect. If creating music is not something you remotely envision in the future, then Audacity would do everything you needed just fine.

Another thing to consider is OS you are using. Cakewalk is designed for Windows and only Windows. It has very nice features like the ability to dock and undock screens, multiple windows, etc. Perfect if you have multiple monitors. Also, just the general look of Cakewalk is pleasing to me. It is also customizable with many good skins available. Again, not an issue unless you stare at it everyday. Other DAWs are designed only for macs and if you are a Linux fan, then Ubuntu Studio is worth checking out. The "industry standard" is Pro-Tools and that has support for Windows and Macs. There is a "light" version of Pro-Tools that is free and entirely worth checking out as well.

They all have a learning curve, but all act pretty much the same. The basic functionality, ie recording speech/sound, editing, applying effects, is all the same regardless. If you know how to set one up, you can set any of them up. The difference is what comes next. For sound effects and speech related things for FG, I don't believe it will make much difference other than YOUR preference. I have found that a good mic and good preamp with a good audio interface is much more important. However, even that is not needed to simply record your voice or basic sounds and/or manipulate something (pre-existing sound) that is out there. If you google "free DAWs" you can look over the lists and see what seems the best fit for you. Again, I think aesthetics and familiarity are big factors if you use it a lot.

As always, you can always ask me questions. I have more gear than I have time to use most days! Hope this has helped a little bit.

Blog Entries
    Thanks MG

I did a little research yesterday googling things. For others dropping in on this, DAW = Digital Audio Workstation. Basically it turns your computer into most all of that equipment you see in in TV/Movies where the sound engineer has all those dials, switches and sliders.

I do use Windows, so I think I'll go with Cakewalk. If for no other reason,I can ask you!

Oh, and yea, I just plan on making sound effects and voices like this. I'm no musician and will never do more than dabble a little bit here and there

You will not be disappointed with Cakewalk. Very helpful and respectful forum as well. Kinda like another forum I know....

Thread Information