Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Zip by selecting all files from within the folder. Rename the .zip file to .pak and move the file out to the parent rulesets folder. Move or delete your working folder, so that the .pak is used when you restart Fantasy Grounds.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by JUMBO View Post
    Hello there, I've done it, but how can I revert it?
    Run regedit as administrator and erase HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pak

Undo

I recommend creating a restore point in System Restore before you do this.
    Run regedit and open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. This contains the default behavior for different file types. Just delete the .pak key.
    Alternatively, if you have another .pak file type that runs in a different program, you can just right click any .pak file and set it to open with the correct program.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave0910 View Post
    For many of you, I'm sure you've encountered the same frustration I did when working on custom rulesets; that is having to change the .pak file to a .zip, edit the files and the change it back. That gets really trying, really fast. Fortunately, in Windows, that's easy to fix. Friendly warning before you try this, editing registry files can TOTALLY fubar your system if you don't know what you're doing. Make sure, for example, that you don't have other programs that use the file extension .pak.

Anyway, it's a simple registry hack. You just need to make windows recognize .pak files as compressed folders. All you need to do is run CMD as Administrator (Programs->Accessories, the right click command prompt and select Run as Administrator).

After this is done, the file will be treated as a normal .zip file, and you can explore or replace files as needed (Remember that you can't edit the files directly unless it's supported by your xml editor. AltovaXML Spy handles this, wonderfully).
    It's too risky. I always take the time to copy the .pak file, move it to my desktop, unpack via 7zip and turn it into a folder with all the appropriate files. Once I'm done, all I need to do is archive, and change the .7zip to .pak and then OK it. It's real simple.

Hacking the regedit really can FUBAR your system, which is correct. That's why it's not the best option, even if it's the "quickest" solution.

Don't use 7z compression, or RAR, or anything other than standard ZIP (deflate) compression.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I've used 7zip without problems. But then again, has anyone had problems with 7zip in the past before?

Quote Originally Posted by t3xx3r View Post
    I've used 7zip without problems. But then again, has anyone had problems with 7zip in the past before?
    The native 7Zip (.7z) compression won't work with Fantasy Grounds. You may have used the 7Zip application to compress using standard ZIP compression. FG rulesets (.pak), modules (.mod), extensions (.ext), portrait (.ppk) files only works with ZIP (deflate) compression.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind and make sure to use ZIP (deflate) compression.

Thread Information