STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 53 First 1234513 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirsterhall View Post
    As Zacchaeus pointed out they are melee for the NPC animal however being added to Actions area they are seen as Spell-cantrip. I think the only way to make it see them as true melee attacks would be adding them to the weapons section of the PC sheet which I know would make them much more difficult to manage by the addon. This addon is already making druid wild shape so much nicer it may not be worth it just for the barbarian multiclass.
    Thirsterhall, as you surmise this method of applying the beast actions as weapons will require a lot more coding in the extension, some it quite involved.

I'll summarize, if you want gory details I can provide them, just ask.

I can ad-hoc add items to the Weapons group. I would have to write a parser to extract the details from the beast's stat block and add them to the "weapon" Attack and Damage information block.

This is insufficient though; there is no differentiation between melee and ranged weapons so the extra rage damage is applied to both.

To prevent that, weapons as Items (in the records library) must be created and then added to the Druid/Barbarian's Inventory - this provides the additional required info, the Item Subtype, e.g. "Simple Melee Weapons" or "Simple Ranged Weapons". Additional parsing by my code is needed to extract damage data.

But worse yet, the player cannot create an Item, the DM has to do it. Code might be able to circumvent this but I don't know.

Recall, the DWSI extension allows either the player or the DM to Wild Shape the character. If the player were to Wild Shape the character, a request would have to be sent from the client instance (the player) of Fantasy Grounds up to the host instance (the DM) to create an Item. Once created the host must share the item and then report back that it's done. This is asynchronous behavior and I don't know if it is actually manageable - meaning the timing of asking-creating-reporting-adding to inventory, might not be possible.

Assuming it is, the client, once notified must add the created Item (the weapon) to the character's inventory, equip it and then modify the Attack and Damage details so that they are consistent with the beast's stat block.

Now, oddly enough I thought about going this way originally, but I didn't want to write the parser, so I went with the Power Group idea instead. Investigating this now, revealed to me just how ugly it is. And it might not be possible without a bunch of pre-created Items: the attacks: fist, claw, bite, thrown rock, etc. Which was what this extension was meant to avoid - pre-creation of stuff.

Ya seems like way to much work for very little gain, barbarian/druid is a niche case. It's simpler to list it as a limitation to the extension and have a work around listed. IE remove "melee" from the rage effect when in animal form solves the problem.

If you where open to other suggestions/improvements.
    Would it be possible to change the token to the animals default token? Or even update the players size to match that of the animal? Probably more work than worth the effort but would be really cool to see the players token change to the animal and auto change size/reach.

Blog Entries
    ... list it as a limitation to the extension and have a work around listed...
    Something like this might work for you... No editing required. Only thing to remember is the player needs to apply his/her extra damage. Make sure it is in its own Power Group though, not in the "Actions - Wild Shape" Group, because it would get deleted at revert.
    Untitled.png

If you where open to other suggestions/improvements. Would it be possible to change the token to the animals default token? Or even update the players size to match that of the animal?
    I'm always open to suggestions, I appreciate them. That means people are really putting my work efforts through its paces.

I had considered token adoption when I was first working on the extension but I ran out of time. I wanted to get a working extension for my first game as a Druid in a new campaign. Now that that is underway, and I have something out there, I'll look into changing tokens. I hadn't thought of size/reach. I don't have a clue how to do that, but that's good, I have something to look into, something to learn.

And I haven't totally given up on the Rage problem. I might be able to attach "Melee" or "Ranged" to a hidden field in the code that would carry over to the damage evaluator and then be intercepted and applied over there.

I like what your extension does. I hope that you can update it to make the tokens/sizes swap out.

That being said, I keep getting errors when I click on the PC's Actions tabs after I've converted them. It also happens when I click on ANY PC's Action tab after that, including when I convert them back to their normal form.

Here's a example of the errors that are popping up. It's only a few lines, but there were many more.

Script Error: [string "portrait"]:1: setPrototype: Invalid parameter
    Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/power_action.lua"]:96: attempt to call field 'getPCPowerCastActionText' (a nil value)
    Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/power_action.lua"]:102: attempt to call field 'getPCPowerDamageActionText' (a nil value)

Am I doing something wrong? Installed something wrong? Or is this a real bug and not just my incompetence?

EDIT: I turned off another extension and the errors for 'getPCPowerCastActionText' went away. setPrototype is still happening, but only when I drop the NPC onto the PC portrait.
    Last edited by Wampsucat; December 27th, 2018 at 05:29.

Hi wampsucat, welcome to FG. I think you are answering your own question. Not all extensions work with every other extension. In other to track down the issue you’ll need to start a campaign with only the Druid one loaded to see if you still get errors. If you do not then another extension is either out of date or it does not play nice with the Druid one.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Blog Entries
    Wampsucat, Zacchaeus gives sage advice. Thanks Zacchaeus, well said.

Wampsucat What other extensions are you using? I'd like to see if I can figure out what's causing the conflict, possibly I can remedy things on my end. Or work with the other developer to get the extensions playing nicely with one another.

And don’t drop the beast NPC in the portrait area. The portrait has a drop handler that deals with tokens - to set the character’s picture and token. It’s handler isn't meant to deal with an NPC being dropped there.

Hi Minty,

Thanks for the quick reply!
    The extension that was throwing the errors was https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...nt-(Extension)

I think it adds some functionality that yours does not encompass.

And you are correct on the portrait. I brain-farted when I read your instructions...
    drag the link from the desired beast's NPC stat block on to the upper portion of the character sheet
    I read that as 'upper portrait'! LOL

Hey Minty,

This is a great extension and super helpful for one of my players. Now he has been playing a level 11 druid and we hit a snag for circle of the moon having the Elemental Wild Shape feature at level 10 when he wants to change into either fire, air, water, or earth elemental. We get the "Wild Shapes only valid for beast type NPCs."
    Thanks again for making this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joklo View Post
    ... and we hit a snag for circle of the moon having the Elemental Wild Shape feature at level 10... we get the "Wild Shapes only valid for beast type NPCs.
    Aargh. Having never played a Druid before now, I didn’t see this coming.

As a quick cheat, in case you haven’t done this already... Edit the NPC (elemental) and change the Type to “Beast”. If you can’t unlock the NPC, say because it is from the Monster Manual, make a copy and edit the copy. Sometimes you’ll have to create the copy by opening the NPC stat sheet from the record set library then using the link in the upper left corner of the stat sheet drag it back into the library.

And thanks for reporting this and for using the extension.

There is an extension on the DM Guild called Critically Awesome Essentials. Covers Wild Shape and Moon Druid Wild Shape too.

Thread Information