STAR TREK 2d20
Page 53 of 53 First ... 343515253
    What I was trying to express was 'writing and maintaining these things is work, it has value, and it deserves to be paid'. Complaining that an extension costs money seems to me to be disrespectful to the creator. This feeling is influenced by my own situation as a full time professional GM in two ways: 1) for me extensions are a tax-deductible business expense, and 2) I run into the same attitude toward paid GMing - that people are entitled to your work for free, and to charge for your time is somehow unethical.

Last edited by Blackwolfe; November 5th, 2023 at 02:06.

Last edited by Blackwolfe; November 5th, 2023 at 02:07.
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Give aid to those in need when you are able. Never follow thoughts of gain into the pursuit of evil, and never hesitate to kill the villain while you have the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoGM View Post
    What I was trying to express was 'writing and maintaining these things is work, it has value, and it deserves to be paid'. Complaining that an extension costs money seems to me to be disrespectful to the creator. This feeling is influenced by my own situation as a full time professional GM in two ways: 1) for me extensions are a tax-deductible business expense, and 2) I run into the same attitude toward paid GMing - that people are entitled to your work for free, and to charge for your time is somehow unethical.
    I fully agree with you on this post here.

I'm saying is I hope that because it's not updated and likely will need to be updated, I really hope that Minty releases it so others can carry the torch. Which I expect will happen, as this is a great community like that.

I'm also one that owns and likely buys more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I look at it in the light that any extension I use is not essential. Not only because I can do whatever I need manually, but also because as noted that eventually the extension is very likely to stop working or being maintained. Any extensions I pay for, I do with the understanding that I pay for it for use now, and maybe for the next few months., but that eventually that money will be spent and the extension will be a part of history.

Such an attitude keeps me from being annoyed or upset.
    I agree with this.

I have learned to modify code within rulesets, extensions and modules over time so if something I have bought (or got for free) doesn't work, I'm happy to dive in and see what the issue is and try to fix it. If all else fails, then doing things manually is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherkelly View Post
    I agree with this.

I have learned to modify code within rulesets, extensions and modules over time so if something I have bought (or got for free) doesn't work, I'm happy to dive in and see what the issue is and try to fix it. If all else fails, then doing things manually is the way to go.
    Of course, you can't do that if the extension is vaulted, which a fair number of paid extensions are.

Fair point.

I was lucky enough to work with Minty sometime back on a modified Wildshape extension for the Morph Class - from A Touch Of Class (by EN Publishing). As a result I had the most recent code to modify. I agreed with Minty that my extension was for personal use only so this extension will not be available for others to use, unless Minty agrees to pass over the code for others to support.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherkelly View Post
    I was lucky enough to work with Minty sometime back on a modified Wildshape extension for the Morph Class - from A Touch Of Class (by EN Publishing). As a result I had the most recent code to modify. I agreed with Minty that my extension was for personal use only so this extension will not be available for others to use, unless Minty agrees to pass over the code for others to support.
    Yeah we're waiting all around for Minty to chime in.

I am presently working on a new shape changing extension for 5e. Should be out within a week.
    Last edited by MyGivinOpinion; November 12th, 2023 at 04:27.
    FG License: Unity Ultimate License
    Timezone: -5 EST/EDT

Thread Information