Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

SF Ultra Theme for Starfinder (SFRPG)

Hello again everyone, it's your friendly neighborhood Catalyst with my first attempt EVER at modifying a theme. I am starting with replacing the sidebar buttons with custom banners made from Paizo's Community Use images. Attached is a screenshot. Please give me some feedback on the progress thus far.

I am going to include a txt file with the extension that states the Paizo community use required information. I am also going to include it in the actual extension .xml files. I'm fairly certain that because there's no distortion of the actual image and if I include the appropriate license disclaimer, then this is fair game to create and share for free. If anyone has any comments on the design, or on the community license aspect, please drop them in the comments below. Once I get a warm and fuzzy about meeting the stipulations of the license, I'll release it for public use. Like I said, this is v1.0 which only includes the banner replacements. I'm going to look at the background and buttons next if this project isn't infringing on any copyrights and whatnot. Thanks everyone!

Update 1 : Replaced Screenshot with new version because the original modified the icons.

Update 2: Changed hotkey icons for all versions. 3 versions of theme now: Buttons & Hotkeys Only version, and two versions including Pact Worlds Map as the desktop with UI scaled to 100 and 80 when video resolution is set at 1920x1080. If you or your players resolution is different or the UI is not scaled to 100 or 80 as appropriate, the desktop map will be off-center or cutoff by the UI. Also added extension links for download to review and test. Please comment on the thread if you use it with your feedback and to note any bugs!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RoleforFun; November 4th, 2018 at 16:18.

Blog Entries
    Nice work and thanks for sharing.

One question/comment; the icon labels, are they ones you made or were they part of the graphic? I ask because some of them don't fit very well, like "Characters" runs off the oval and makes it hard to read. If you did them, I might suggest using a narrower font so they fit better.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Nice work and thanks for sharing.

One question/comment; the icon labels, are they ones you made or were they part of the graphic? I ask because some of them don't fit very well, like "Characters" runs off the oval and makes it hard to read. If you did them, I might suggest using a narrower font so they fit better.
    Thanks for the compliment. I created them with layers over the background image using GIMP. There's a few touch ups already planned. "Characters" is going to be shortened to "PCs", "Encounters" is going to be abbreviated, and some of the lighter font colors (like on Parcels) is going to be darkened for better visibility. It looks fine at UI scaling=100 but getting down to 80 where I like it, it gets harder to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst20XX View Post
    I'm fairly certain that becasuse there's no distortion of the actual image (only overlays) and if I include the appropriate license disclaimer, then this is fair game to create and share for free.
    Referring to the information here: https://paizo.com/community/communityuse

Specifically for contents of the Community Use Package: "You may not alter the color, typography, design, or proportions of the logos or icons, or otherwise modify them."

If you're doing at least one of those, then you're not adhering to the community use policy, so can't use those graphics. You've added labels to the images - in theory that's changing "typography".

Ultimately, if you've made minimum changes to the original artwork, only Paizo will be able to tell you if that's OK or not. Maybe they'll let it fly, maybe they won't - only they can tell you. Some additional info here: https://paizo.com/community/communit...#v5748eaic9nu9 including a FAQ entry indicating where to look for more info/post a question.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Referring to the information here: https://paizo.com/community/communityuse

Specifically for contents of the Community Use Package: "You may not alter the color, typography, design, or proportions of the logos or icons, or otherwise modify them."

If you're doing at least one of those, then you're not adhering to the community use policy, so can't use those graphics. You've added labels to the images - in theory that's changing "typography".

Ultimately, if you've made minimum changes to the original artwork, only Paizo will be able to tell you if that's OK or not. Maybe they'll let it fly, maybe they won't - only they can tell you. Some additional info here: https://paizo.com/community/communit...#v5748eaic9nu9 including a FAQ entry indicating where to look for more info/post a question.
    Thanks for the input Trenloe. I can see that and I'll defer to your judgment about the matter. I looked for something specific in the community use discussion forum but didn't see anything. I'll err on the side of safety and redo the images.

I don’t think it would hurt to ask them if your mods are permissible. They look fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    I don’t think it would hurt to ask them if your mods are permissible. They look fantastic
    Thanks Bidmaron. I'll ask Paizo about the first one. I'm working on a different version right now that clearly doesn't mess with their images at all. If they approve the first one, then I'll just release both versions so users have a choice.
    Last edited by RoleforFun; November 3rd, 2018 at 20:13.

Updated the OP with new screenshots and multiple versions plus extension files. Let me know what y'all think.
    Last edited by RoleforFun; November 3rd, 2018 at 20:13.

If you change the blue color of the hot key bar to match the blue of the sidebar’s icons the overall feeling might be much better.
    Do you have screenshot with opened character sheets and other windows?
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    If you change the blue color of the hot key bar to match the blue of the sidebar’s icons the overall feeling might be much better.
    Do you have screenshot with opened character sheets and other windows?
    That's a good point. I'll look into making that modification. Thanks!

Thread Information